Confirmed with Link: Marincin on waivers

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If there was something going on more than just waving Marincin wouldn't someone in the media have been speculating on it by now?

Flocons de Mais

Oct 5, 2017
I thought it was a bit weird that a team would actually put someone like Marincin on the roster only to waive him before he even had any ice time. However, thinking over how everything went down, it sort of makes sense. I don't think it's a trade at this point. I think Marincin was always an insurance policy, or a hedge bet on Borgman. Borgman won the spot, but the team wasn't sure how he was going to adjust to life in the NHL, so as a little piece of mind, they kept Marincin in just in case that first game didn't turn out so well for Borgman. Now that it seems like Borgman is going to be ok (and then some), the team feels comfortable in letting go of the insurance policy, and perhaps bringing Rosen up.

If the Leafs actually went about it the other way (i.e., start Marincin in the AHL), he would have had to clear waivers anyway - If someone picked him up off waivers, the Leafs would have Borgman and Rosen on the team with no idea how they're going to fare in the season opener. If everything went south that first game, the Leafs wouldn't have any type of backup plan.

Reactions: bansheebeat

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
lots of possible reasons why we placed him on waivers today.

We could be looking at a trade to get Pickard who is an upgrade as a back if he clears waivers we can place him on the Marlies if we trade Maricin for him. Marincin could also be placed in the AHL by LGK.

We maybe just was hoping we could trade him and we could not, him clearing waivers make him more tradeable.

I do not think we are signing Polak at this point.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
My guess is that we have a taker for Marincin, but they don't want him on their NHL roster. So we get him through waivers, and a team gives us a pick for him to store in their AHL team as a depth option.

I'd have thought a team like the Avs could have have some use for Marincin

There thin on LD, he's got some experience which there light on, he can play up the lineup in a pinch, he's got experience of playing on a BAD team

Seems like a good fit

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
This is good. Probably giving Marincin a chance to get claimed by another team. Lou is good that way. Probably have Polak as the 7th as he could fill in in a pinch on a road trip. Marincin wasn't getting back into the lineup...Period.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Why can't we just keep 6D and call one up if there's an injury? You do know how close the Ricoh is to the ACC right?

Yes, and that's definitely possible. Would leave us with a 22 man roster though. Cap reasons for the move, perhaps? (edit: along the lines of the post from DANTHEMAN1967 on the previous page)

Last edited:

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
wow guys we had to be under the cap by 5pm tuesday it has zero to do with cap unless there is a trade

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
umm thats kind of a big risk, I do not know where VGK sits with waiver claims (as in what spot they are in) but for the rest of the teams last year it is based on inverted standings. So last place gets first dibs and Pittsburgh would get last dibs. Oh well something is up. I thought we would all know by now but natta yet.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Problem with this is; a team wouldnt release a player then sign him. Did you see Franson get released and signed? Or any of the other PTO guys? Polak is plain not ready. It was said by Lou and Babcock he was still in pain. Also Babcock said he was a FA at this point the other day. You never know but I cant see it. Wondering if this is a 3 team trade? Something must be causing a hold up. I dont think you see both VGK and Leafs making similar roster moves, same day, around same time for nothing. Especially when VGK said already they are actively looking, and Lou was talking a whole lot with them pre draft, maybe then a deal couldnt be done. Further maybe now the time is right. It is also strange no word yet, nothing, not a rumor. Lou style.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I think he's relied on his natural size for too long without taking the next step to be a physical presence. This is strike two. The brass ring was so close. Hopefully he takes the next step if he clears.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If there was something going on more than just waving Marincin wouldn't someone in the media have been speculating on it by now?

Something has got to be up, I'm positive that this team isnt going to only carry 6 Dmen. Either we call up Rosen(which isnt nothing) or Maybe theres a trade or signing coming up (Polak or Maybe one of the Vegas defenceman)

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Or they could just wait to get him for free?
They wouldn't do that if they wanted the player. They pay a small price to ensure the 15 or so other Teams can't grab him for free.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I'm praying the Leafs pick up Pickard. I rarely ever push for waiver claims and generally don't think they ever make sense but he'd be so much better than McBackup.
I don't understand this. All McBackup did was win the games we needed him to win last year to put us in the playoffs when Andersen went down. If we have a guy who's cheap and shown he's capable of doing this, what is the advantage of making this move? Pickard hasn't done anything in the league but collect losses in Colorado and then lose his backup job in Las Vegas to a guy they plucked off waivers. There's no reason at all to think he's more capable of being the backup for this team. I understand the concept of why you like the move, the Leafs don't have any good young goalies in the system and Pickard has the cache of being a first round pick not too long ago. But that doesn't mean anything, just ask Bernier. This Leafs team needs somebody who is dependable, not somebody who might be dependable some day.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Something has got to be up, I'm positive that this team isnt going to only carry 6 Dmen. Either we call up Rosen(which isnt nothing) or Maybe theres a trade or signing coming up (Polak or Maybe one of the Vegas defenceman)

A Marlie will be coming up :thumbu:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010

Since shanny took over, this organization has been tight lipped. Nothing shocking about lack of insider information. Speculation? Thats what hfboards is for.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Since shanny took over, this organization has been tight lipped. Nothing shocking about lack of insider information. Speculation? That was hfboards is for.
Tight lipped sure but that hasn't stopped them from speculating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad