Confirmed with Link: Marincin on waivers

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Why?
Carrick played well and has some experience, if that pair plays well keeping them together to get some chemistry seems like a solid idea imo

**** that
Polak is a plug, Carrick played bloody well last night

If what he did last night isn't good enough it's going to be a long season

I thought Carrick played alright. I wouldn't go as far as saying he played bloddy well though.

Then again, I didn't think the defense played extremely well either. They gave up a lot of high quality opportunities and Andersen bailed them all out huge.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
They would in no way call up Rosen to be interchanged like that. If they were going to do that, then this would have happend Tuesday when roster was submitted. You want your younger guys to play, bottom line. Yet again to me it is either we are signing Polak to a 1 year deal. Or a trade. I just really wonder if Polak wants to be a press box warmer for most of the year. He is still playing in pain, as we were told that by Lou and Babcock in the preseason which just ended. Anyway anything is a guess right now.

Polak is not ready. That's why I suspect he is not an immediate factor in this. He might when he gets better as Babcock seems to like him. I like him better than Marincin. He could be a player coach to help bring Borgman in particular along. Borgman needs a serious crash course.

I agree with you about Rosen - he's waiver free depth. Marincin is depth too (arguably not the greatest but depth).

I think something else is going on. If they were to land a top four D with one of their excess forwards - this move would make lots of sense. The question might be "why now?" The answer might be "to keep under the 50 contract limit they had to make sure someone took Marincin off waivers"

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Going after 1 backup and backing out due to 1 additional year of term, isn't really "going hard to replace him".

They made an attempt to find another option, price was too high, so they stuck with McBackup.

Not like Condon was the only option. If the Leafs wanted to replace McBackup, they would have

But that's just the guy we know they went after, and according to freidman they went all in. with the full court press.

I suspect they went after Chad Johnson too because after Johnson signed in Calgary Babcock said Before they singed Enroth they went after Johnson.

Now that doesn't mean they went after Johnson this time, but when the coach is on record saying they have expressed interest before it's a pretty good bet they would still be interested.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
My stress levels have reduced just KNOWING we won't see that big clumsy #52 lumbering around constantly giving up the puck and losing his man

Good times :D

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Why?
Carrick played well and has some experience, if that pair plays well keeping them together to get some chemistry seems like a solid idea imo

Borgman also played well and brings an element lacking throughout.
Carrick has some experience yes, but Borgman/Rosen also need to play to get the experience.
You won't get it as a constant 7 D.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Weird timing considering they could have waived him 2 days ago?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If that were the case, wouldn't they have considered that in the summer? Wouldn't they have made a minor trade for Pickard instead of hoping every one else passes on him?
Politics could be playing a part here.

Lou Lam went out and signed Moore and McBackup this summer and neither was very good in the exhibition season and Moore lost his starting spot and maybe there are better options now than McEleheney also.

But replacing these 2 signings does reflect negatively on the GM and his decisions, that may play a part in any changes where the option would need to be significantly better in order to force that.

Pickard has long-term potential while at his age McBackup is a short-term only solution. So that should also play a part in the decision process. IMO

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
:laugh: You can say it as many times as you like but it still won't make any sense.
There's a big world of goalies out there, after Condon passed they would have continued to look, not give the backup two years.
If they really wanted Pickard they would have worked it out once Vegas took Subban, they wouldn't hope everyone passes on him.

There was nowhere else to look Mason Elliott and Johnson all agreed to deals during the open window for teams to talk to UFA

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Weird timing considering they could have waived him 2 days ago?

Maybe part of a trade where the opposition want him in the AHL?, there is no spot on the marlies for him either IMO.
Dermott-Liljegren
Rosen-Loverde
Nielsen-Valiev
He can play right side I guess but I don't want any of thos 3 LHS out of the lineup for Martin Marincin same goes for Liljegren on the right side (and valiev too)

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Maybe part of a trade where the opposition want him in the AHL?, there is no spot on the marlies for him either IMO.
Dermott-Liljegren
Rosen-Loverde
Nielsen-Valiev
He can play right side I guess but I don't want any of thos 3 LHS out of the lineup for Martin Marincin same goes for Liljegren on the right side (and valiev too)

RIP Holl

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

of course Holl I knew I was forgetting something he takes Loverde spot and valiev goes pressbox marlies for me. Marincin in anycase has no spot there for me. Maybe they know a team will take marincin off waivers or there is a trade requiring him to be AHL eligible

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Ya really odd that those moves happened so close. Equally as odd is, no corresponding move made. Especially with the leafs. They have already practiced (if they practiced normally noonish is when they skate). If it were a simple Polak signing, I figure we would know. Plus I agree he isnt ready, if he were why release him from PTO, when you do that you are essentially saying thanks but no thanks.

AKA Franson never got released by Chicago then signed a deal. He was simply signed. Dammit Lou hurry up with it already. I really am curious to see what we are doing. We have a game tomorrow. With flight time and such, if it is a trade with VGK it would likely be very soon so our guy can get in the lineup for tomorrow. If not then we would have to callup someone to get to 23 roster guys.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Would he have to clear waivers before his contract could be terminated? Perhaps he wants to go back to Europe.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
Could this just be Lou and Co. looking really far ahead?

If Marincin clears waivers, can't they just keep him as the press box spare and send him down much later in the season when they decide to call someone up? If so, it's smart to put him on waivers now since he has a better chance to clear. This is because most teams haven't played many games yet (including pre-season here) and therefore really don't know who's not panning out in their lineups.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Funny--hockey buzz columnist for VGK thinks Subban backup makes sense. They must be smoking something really good to say that. The guy was waived, has played 2 NHL games, and you waive a guy with a careet 0.914 sv% ya ok.

My guess trade with VGK involves Leivo and Curtis with us, and a D on there part. Several options. Curtis goes their way, we get Subban and a D. Again not sure if Pickard was involved if he is still on waivers as we didnt put him there. If the answer is no, then I would think Pickard and D man for Leivo and Curtis (maybe even Marincin).

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Would he have to clear waivers before his contract could be terminated? Perhaps he wants to go back to Europe.

They would have specified if it were unconditional waivers for contract termination I think. It's regular waivers.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
I think they wanted to see how Borgman handled real nhl competition

Now they have proof he will Be ok

Bye bye mancarin

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Funny--hockey buzz columnist for VGK thinks Subban backup makes sense. They must be smoking something really good to say that. The guy was waived, has played 2 NHL games, and you waive a guy with a careet 0.914 sv% ya ok.

My guess trade with VGK involves Leivo and Curtis with us, and a D on there part. Several options. Curtis goes their way, we get Subban and a D. Again not sure if Pickard was involved if he is still on waivers as we didnt put him there. If the answer is no, then I would think Pickard and D man for Leivo and Curtis (maybe even Marincin).

Why would we want subban? he has shown nothing to say he is ready for backup role and Mcbackup has done nothing to say we need to "upgrade" with pickard who is on waivers why trade for him?

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Responding to the poster that you responded to. You cant say they would have gotten rid of him if they wanted. You dont know the market. You dont know if anyone called asking. Even if they did Lou felt it wasnt the right deal (at the time). This right here (waiver move by both teams), is a precursor to a trade. Especially VGK they said during preseason (near the end) they were going to be active. Now does it mean we are making a deal with them? Maybe, may be not. I just find it more than fluke chance we made a move right around the same time as them. They could have easily sent Marincin down before. If it were to callup Rosen, why? They would have sent Marincin down before and kept Rosen on the squad. Which is stupid. You want your younger guys playing every night not sitting. The only 2 options to me that make sense is; trade or signing of Polak. Though the Polak thing I dont get unless magically he has no pain. Lou said after our last game he was not ready yet, same with Babcock. Also when you release a PTO you dont do that then sign a guy. Look at Franson with Chicago. They didnt release him. They simply signed him. You think after 1 game our management team went "oops should have sent Maricin down and signed Polak," I would have a tough time believing that one.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
I think this is a pretty straightforward Marincin down Rosen up transaction with no trade implications.

I think Rosen out played Marincin preseason but the leafs had to be sure the swedes were capable of playing NHL caliber not just preseason stars. Now that Borgman showed he can be effective in meaningful games there is no need to have Marincin up. Now we can bring Rosen up and see what he can do when called upon without the worry of Borgman flaming out and not having anyone with NHL experience to put in his stead.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I did didnt ever say we want him for sure. I was simply throwing out options. As I asked in my post "if we traded for pickard as a piece is he still on waivers, or is he not because we werent the team who put him on waivers in the first place." Also to get you have to give right? You cannot just get everything you desire without giving. That is why I said possibly. If we did get Subban I would guarantee it means he goes down Sparks is up. BUT again I have no answer to my question.

Say it is a trade with VGK.
Say it is Pickard and D coming our way. Is Pickard still on waivers? or is he not. That matters greatly

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I did didnt ever say we want him for sure. I was simply throwing out options. As I asked in my post "if we traded for pickard as a piece is he still on waivers, or is he not because we werent the team who put him on waivers in the first place." Also to get you have to give right? You cannot just get everything you desire without giving. That is why I said possibly. If we did get Subban I would guarantee it means he goes down Sparks is up. BUT again I have no answer to my question.

Say it is a trade with VGK.
Say it is Pickard and D coming our way. Is Pickard still on waivers? or is he not. That matters greatly
If there is a trade they wouldn't have put Pickard on waivers in the first place.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Wow "pension plan puppets," are dumb to. They are saying things like "pickard is a gamble he had a bad year last year,"odd 9.04 last year is bad now? For a backup? They also say Calle Rosen is likely to get a call up. Again why? so he can sit in the press box? I cannot see the point in that. Borgman first off played really well last night, so did Carrick. So begs the question, why call up Rosen? Borgman won the spot, deserved it, played well. I guess we could play 7 d but again, I would imagine they would want him getting more ice-time than 10 minutes or so here? C'mon Lou what the hay is going on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad