Confirmed with Link: Marincin on waivers

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
My theory is that Marincin is involved in a trade, but the team that wants him, wants him to be in the minors. I think the deal will likely happen when Marincin clears waivers. I guess we'll have to see if im right tommorow!

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
They could have put him on waivers today instead of with the rest of the guys to give him a better chance of sneaking through, as most teams are closer to finalized now.

Wonder do they call Rosen back up? Or is their a trade?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think Polak is good to go now for the 7th slot, they love him. Borg showed he can hold the 6 spot, they don't need Marincin as insurance. Rosen is sitting right there if need be, getting time, and I'm guessing Marincin clears. Polak is an awesome 7th to have around.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
ya and ? lupul his salary all on LTIR and Horton, so I dont get what you mean, by implications..but if you mean that by waiving Maricin we get a million or so relief then I still think it is a trade and we are waiting for him to be claimed or clear

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
ya and ? lupul his salary all on LTIR and Horton, so I dont get what you mean, by implications..but if you mean that by waiving Maricin we get a million or so relief then I still think it is a trade and we are waiting for him to be claimed or clear
The implications are that the closer we were to the cap on opening day than the more of Lupul's cap relief we got. By having Marincin on the roster rather than Rosen (or anyone making comparable money) we increased the mileage of the LTIR cushion by ~300k. Since we're into the LTIR cushion from day 1 we can't bank space as the year goes on, so that extra 300k could be huge come deadline time. The difference between being able to afford Green over Entstrom, or Johnson over Bieksa if management decides to do a little shopping.

I'm no CBA expert, but the timing of roster move deadlines and daily cap calculations may have had something to do with it. I'm hoping that it's the signal of a bigger move, but their are other plausible explanations. Hopefully we kind out tomorrow

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
I'd love to claim Pickard to be our backup. Someone above us will claim him though. I didn't know he was from NB cool, his stats are very good minus last year's .904%.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It's better that Marincin move on. The Leafs probably don't see a future for him on the NHL team, and it's the end of the line.

I agree that a minor-league trade is likely, if he clears.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't understand this. All McBackup did was win the games we needed him to win last year to put us in the playoffs when Andersen went down. If we have a guy who's cheap and shown he's capable of doing this, what is the advantage of making this move? Pickard hasn't done anything in the league but collect losses in Colorado and then lose his backup job in Las Vegas to a guy they plucked off waivers. There's no reason at all to think he's more capable of being the backup for this team. I understand the concept of why you like the move, the Leafs don't have any good young goalies in the system and Pickard has the cache of being a first round pick not too long ago. But that doesn't mean anything, just ask Bernier. This Leafs team needs somebody who is dependable, not somebody who might be dependable some day.

Well first of all, let's go by this with bullet points.

1- All he did was win games when we needed him to? He had 6 wins and 7 losses with us. He didn't put us in the playoffs at all. He played pretty well overall for sure but the Leafs couldn't wait to get Andersen back in net.

2- Pickard played for one of the worst teams in NHL history and still put up respectable numbers, which were better than Vezina trophy winner Varlamov. He was getting destroyed in nets with shots game in and out. He had really good 5on5 numbers despite playing for that bad team. He also was one of the MVPs for Team Canada this past World Championships. Saying he only collected losses in Colorado is like saying Matt Duchene is a bad player because of his -34 last season.

3- Are you forgetting how we got McBackup in the first place? Waivers. And from of the best teams in the league at the time because they wanted a more consistent, younger and better backup. Sounds familiar? Plenty of people are completely puzzled as to why they think Subban can do better because nothing shows that he can.

4- Pickard is more dependable now and very likely moving forward.

I see a chance to improve our team, I do it. I like McBackup though and he's a cheap and fine veteran option. I can only hope he will hold the fort and we don't have to rely on him for more than 25 games. I don't think it's fair to only look at Pickard and his stats from last year and disregard his body of work since entering the league. I don't want to make a big deal out of this though because I'm fine with McBackup either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alerion

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I will forever be grateful to Tank Commander Marty "advanced stats darling" Marincin for driving us straight to Matthews

Sparks has to be credited as well.
Well first of all, let's go by this with bullet points.

1- All he did was win games when we needed him to? He had 6 wins and 7 losses with us. He didn't put us in the playoffs at all. He played pretty well overall for sure but the Leafs couldn't wait to get Andersen back in net.

2- Pickard played for one of the worst teams in NHL history and still put up respectable numbers, which were better than Vezina trophy winner Varlamov. He was getting destroyed in nets with shots game in and out. He had really good 5on5 numbers despite playing for that bad team. He also was one of the MVPs for Team Canada this past World Championships. Saying he only collected losses in Colorado is like saying Matt Duchene is a bad player because of his -34 last season.

3- Are you forgetting how we got McBackup in the first place? Waivers. And from of the best teams in the league at the time because they wanted a more consistent, younger and better backup. Sounds familiar? Plenty of people are completely puzzled as to why they think Subban can do better because nothing shows that he can.

4- Pickard is more dependable now and very likely moving forward.

I see a chance to improve our team, I do it. I like McBackup though and he's a cheap and fine veteran option. I can only hope he will hold the fort and we don't have to rely on him for more than 25 games. I don't think it's fair to only look at Pickard and his stats from last year and disregard his body of work since entering the league. I don't want to make a big deal out of this though because I'm fine with McBackup either way.

McBackup should be OK for 20 games if they are scattered. He will be exposed if he plays a long (10-15 games) stretch of games, which might also be true for the majority of backups. I would still take a flyer on Picard because I don't think Sparks is the answer.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I think Polak is good to go now for the 7th slot, they love him. Borg showed he can hold the 6 spot, they don't need Marincin as insurance. Rosen is sitting right there if need be, getting time, and I'm guessing Marincin clears. Polak is an awesome 7th to have around.

I like Borgman, but I hope they aren't making decisions based on his performance in his first NHL game.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Rosen isn't on the Marlies roster.

So it would seem he's the one replacing Marincin.

I'm guessing he will rotate with Borgman and Carrick somewhat, I doubt they want him in the press box every game.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
again, his advanced stats have been greatly exaggerated.

he has put up utterly mediocre advanced stats in fairly soft usage.

Reactions: Alerion

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I'm pretty sure Lou outright said the Leafs won't be signing him

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Rosen isn't on the Marlies roster.

So it would seem he's the one replacing Marincin.

I'm guessing he will rotate with Borgman and Carrick somewhat, I doubt they want him in the press box every game.

Gord Miller was just on Leafs lunch saying not to read too much into that because typically the websites are updated by interns and stuff is often missed. He said he expects Polak to be with the team when he's completely healthy (EDIT: the post above mine apparently disagrees with Mr Miller)

Also said that having Marincin on the opening day roster was a move to get more cap relief with the LTIR provisions - the closer to the cap, the more relief kind of thing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad