Marincin Being Sat... For Keith Aulie.. MM to OKC For a Few Hours, Back Up Now

• Thread starter McDeathbyCheerios*
  • Start date

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I think there is a lot of over-reaction here to what was simply a paper transaction. MM is staying up here.

I also have to say I wasn't overly impressed with him in his last couple of games. He has had some really solid games, yes. But I'm not comfortable with him yet.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
It's more comforting to believe that they are losing on purpose. Since we know Katz wont fire Lowe and the old boys club if they are losing on purpose then it's possible they will eventually turn things around when they decide to start winning. The scarier prospect is that they are trying to win and just are this bad at building a winner, that with Katz unwilling to budge on clearing out management we're doomed to never be better than the Atlanta Thrashers.

With all the heat they took last year I cant see them intentionally tanking this season again and there's no way MacT would have talked about bold moves when he came in if his plan was to be bad for several years. He really thought that Eakins was the best coach available and he thought it would be easy to fill in the holes. The truth is that Lowe and then Tambellini took this team to such an awful place that it's not that easy to come back from. The new building is a mirage floating in the distance and it keep selling hope for the future with the idea the team is planning to turn things around when they get there, but with the glimpses we've seen so far there's no way to think that will ever happen. What if they build the new arena and nobody buys the tickets?

They aren't tanking on purpose. The team just isn't very good. And it isn't because the players (at least the majority) aren't NHL caliber. But the same problem continues as it has for at least 5 season, it is just a bad mix of player types. A poorly constructed squad if you will.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I think there is a lot of over-reaction here to what was simply a paper transaction. MM is staying up here.

I also have to say I wasn't overly impressed with him in his last couple of games. He has had some really solid games, yes. But I'm not comfortable with him yet.

The biggest complaint that I have with Marincin so far is probably the same issue the Oilers would like him to improve on, which is his overall assertiveness...not just physically, but in moving the puck up ice and showing more confidence in the offensive zone. For a guy that was considered good enough to make his country's Olympic team, the fact that he only has 4 shots on goal in 8 games is outright criminal. There is no damn way that guys like Ference and even Fayne should have more shots on net than Marincin. He can be much better than he has been, and by my eye hasn't been anywhere near the Oilers best dman so far this year. I'd put Petry and Fayne for sure above him, and maybe even Nikitin as well.

That being said, I still wouldn't have outright scratched him for freaking Aulie.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I really hope you're right. It seems the Oilers always get themselves into these situations to make weird roster movements to stay within the rules of the CBA.

Other teams do roster gymnastics as well, we just don't notice it as much since we're obviously 1000% more invested in following every minute detail of the Oilers day to day soap opera than we are with the other 29 teams. ;)

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The biggest complaint that I have with Marincin so far is probably the same issue the Oilers would like him to improve on, which is his overall assertiveness...not just physically, but in moving the puck up ice and showing more confidence in the offensive zone. For a guy that was considered good enough to make his country's Olympic team, the fact that he only has 4 shots on goal in 8 games is outright criminal. There is no damn way that guys like Ference and even Fayne should have more shots on net than Marincin. He can be much better than he has been, and by my eye hasn't been anywhere near the Oilers best dman so far this year. I'd put Petry and Fayne for sure above him, and maybe even Nikitin as well.

That being said, I still wouldn't have outright scratched him for freaking Aulie.

How much time does Marincin get on the PP? O right a whole 10 seconds per game. He also faces the toughest competition on the team and starts 67% of the time outside the offensive zone, yet he ends in the offensive zone 59% of the time. Marincin is criminally underrated and if Eakins had a brain he should be on the top PP trying to get his offence going.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
How much time does Marincin get on the PP? O right a whole 10 seconds per game.

That's still more PP time/game than either of Fayne or Ference, so that doesn't really help your point.

And my point wasn't to say that he's a bad dman or anything stupid like that, only that he could be so much better if he was a bit more ambitious with his play.

bucktown

Oct 27, 2009
I like this one better...

kdtfhpb38rqjia8n6lwe.gif

Holy **** hahahahaha

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
All this talk about Marincin not playing well... Did him and Fayne not just shut down Ovie and Stamkos in back to back games? He has a rough game so he has to sit? Send Aulie back down, not Marty...

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
That's still more PP time/game than either of Fayne or Ference, so that doesn't really help your point.

And my point wasn't to say that he's a bad dman or anything stupid like that, only that he could be so much better if he was a bit more ambitious with his play.

The problem with shots is that we don't know how many Marincin has took that haven't gotten through or have missed the net. And I agree he could be shooting more.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
All this talk about Marincin not playing well... Did him and Fayne not just shut down Ovie and Stamkos in back to back games? He has a rough game so he has to sit? Send Aulie back down, not Marty...
Yep so naturally Eakins instantly breaks up that pairing. It's like he's genuinely trying to lose.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
If I'm Marincin, I'm starting to think about looking at other NHL teams to develop me as a player. He has proven that he's an NHL talent

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
If I'm Marincin, I'm starting to think about looking at other NHL teams to develop me as a player. He has proven that he's an NHL talent

I wouldn't blame him. This management is the laughing stock of the league. I have friends from all over the States and Canada, who are marginal fans of their NHL teams, asking me why the Oilers' management is one of the worst in professional sports' history. It's becoming painful and starting to affect my day to day life :laugh:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
How much time does Marincin get on the PP? O right a whole 10 seconds per game. He also faces the toughest competition on the team and starts 67% of the time outside the offensive zone, yet he ends in the offensive zone 59% of the time. Marincin is criminally underrated and if Eakins had a brain he should be on the top PP trying to get his offence going.

Marincin has not translated much of his offensive game to the NHL level. Until he does he will not get the respect from the coaching staff that many of you are giving him in this thread. He has not been our best defenseman this season and still has a long ways to go to be as good as many are claiming him to be in this thread. His shot is nothing to write home about and he does not belong on the top PP unit. 0 goals in 52 career NHL games says as much. Hell he has all of 7 points in that same time period.

I think that is where he is at and it is affecting his play. I believe that when he was sent down to start the year it really soured him on the organization. That said it wasn't their fault that he sucked badly at the start of camp.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Marincin has not translated much of his offensive game to the NHL level. Until he does he will not get the respect from the coaching staff that many of you are giving him in this thread. He has not been our best defenseman this season and still has a long ways to go to be as good as many are claiming him to be in this thread. His shot is nothing to write home about and he does not belong on the top PP unit. 0 goals in 52 career NHL games says as much. Hell he has all of 7 points in that same time period.

I think that is where he is at and it is affecting his play. I believe that when he was sent down to start the year it really soured him on the organization. That said it wasn't their fault that he sucked badly at the start of camp.

He's still developing. He needs to adjust to the NHL pace and I think the best place for him to develop his offensive game is on the PP. He also as I said faces by far the toughest competition on the team. Maybe if he was facing 2nd and 3rd lines like he should be, he wouldn't have a problem translating his offence.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Yes they were very good together, but they have not played very well on this losing streak. He is a young kid, and I agree with him getting some lessons to take to the press box, and come back in fresh.

We always complain about rushing a prospect, but this is one that I actually feel we are taking the right pace with.

I want Lowe/MacT/Eakins gone as much as many of you, but this is a move I don't entirely disagree with.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
How do these paper transactions work? Does he have to actually get on a plan to show good faith or what?

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
The WOWY show that both Nikitin and Schultz do much better apart than together, and yet here they are together again.

No doubt Dellow would be all over this, so you start to wonder how much influence he actually has.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Nobody is saying Aulie is better. Just that it's not an unreasonable choice to put him in against the toughest teams in the league

Who except Lucic is tough on the Bruins? Chara is hurt, and the other tough guys were traded (Boychuk), or not re-signed (Thornton). None of Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand, Kelly, Soderburgh, Smith, Hamilton, Krug, etc. are "tough" players that should physically intimidate the Oilers.

Honestly - this is just reinforcing what we knew - that Eakins is a terrible coach with little to no understanding of the current NHL game. Guys like Aulie (non-mobile pylons with "grit") are the pre-lockout guys who just aren't good fit for today's NHL. I don't mind Aulie as a #7 dman who plays because someone got hurt, but it's absolutely unconscionable that anyone would think (or try to sell someone else) that he improves the Oilers chances of beating the Bruins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad