Rumor: Marinaro: Philip Danault turned down $5M/6 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
The Kraken will be all over him .not many centres available in the expansion draft.can afford to overpay .

Unless SEA gets CRAZY lucky with their trades, I do not see them be as good as Vegas. GMs won't do the same mistakes they did back then. Therefore,they'll have to overpay big time in order to get any "good" UFA to sign with them (RNH, Danault etc...)

I mean, if SEA wans to pay Danault 6.5M X 6years, go for it. Danult is elite defensivelly, but average offensivelly. That's not really worth 6.5M$ a year IMO

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Unless SEA gets CRAZY lucky with their trades, I do not see them be as good as Vegas. GMs won't do the same mistakes they did back then. Therefore,they'll have to overpay big time in order to get any "good" UFA to sign with them (RNH, Danault etc...)

I mean, if SEA wans to pay Danault 6.5M X 6years, go for it. Danult is elite defensivelly, but average offensivelly. That's not really worth 6.5M$ a year IMO
I bet Seattle is holding up a lot of re signing. These players have dreams that Seattle, with all their cap space, will give them their golden parachute, like the last year didnt happen. A couple might.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Seattle with their higher taxes,costs and weather is also nowhere near the same draw that Vegas is.
How good is Vegas without Pietrangelo, Stone and Pacioretty?

There is very little chance that they will be as good.

The only thing that gives me pause is how little capspace other teams have and that they should be able to get their hands on a few higher end talents just because other teams can't compete with them capwise or because they might be willing to hand over guys like Johansen (or to a lesser extent) Duchene for free just to free up cap...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Seattle with their higher taxes,costs and weather is also nowhere near the same draw that Vegas is.
How good is Vegas without Pietrangelo, Stone and Pacioretty?

There is very little chance that they will be as good.

The only thing that gives me pause is how little capspace other teams have and that they should be able to get their hands on a few higher end talents just because other teams can't compete with them capwise or because they might be willing to hand over guys like Johansen (or to a lesser extent) Duchene for free just to free up cap...
Seattle is a great city, surrounded by stunning natural beauty. I would live there over Vegas anyday. Oh, and there are no State Income taxes in Washington.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
With what happened to his friend Drouin, I'm not convinced he wants to re-sign in Montreal

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
After seeing that he's getting carried heavily by Gallagher his paycheck will heavily drop.
when hes shutting down matthews and macdavid with gallagher not playing hes earning his paycheque . since we dont have other centres who can match up well with those guys on a consistent basis im assuming you have a bit of a backup plan ?

Reactions: Steeler23

Hockeym

Dec 4, 2015
I hope he leave MTL so Suzuki and KK can center the top 6 . If he signs 5X5 , MTL will keep him on the first line and i like the player but i rather see the young guns get a chance to play top 6 and build around them. I don't wanna see a Desharnais 2.0

Reactions: HabsForHire

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Will this series give him a little more hope in making some $$$? Didn't score a goal but did help contain Matthews' line

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I think he resigns in Montreal, especially now that there is zero chance Tatar returns, and they either trade or waive Drouin.
I think they'll just move Evans to the wing with him and gallagher - and sign a vet or let poehling Centre 4th line

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I find it ludicrous Montreal offered that to a guy who has never scored more than 15 goals in a seasoned has only topped 50 points once in his career. Not worth that at all.

The good old points are everything argument . I rather Danault over RNH at the same money . His defensive game more them makes up for the point difference . Plus the Oilers already have 2 great offensive C so a great defensive one would do wonders . If i am the Oilers I offer 5.3x6 . Also less taxes in AB . But if I am him I probably Jump to a USA state with no taxes even if it means taking 4.5 a year .

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
I've been saying it for a while. If a team like Columbus decides to overpay for Danault (which I think would fit really well there) the Canadiens will be in trouble.

He had a down season offensively, in large part because all the PP time went to the kids (and that's fine), but the Habs don't make the playoffs without his contribution and don't get past the Leafs without his skill at shutting down top lines. Critics will point out that he didn't really make any offensive contributions in the series but he spent 3 minutes per game on the PK and took 60% of the team's defensive zone faceoffs.

Who will do that when he's gone?

Reactions: Tripod

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I've been saying it for a while. If a team like Columbus decides to overpay for Danault (which I think would fit really well there) the Canadiens will be in trouble.

He had a down season offensively, in large part because all the PP time went to the kids (and that's fine), but the Habs don't make the playoffs without his contribution and don't get past the Leafs without his skill at shutting down top lines. Critics will point out that he didn't really make any offensive contributions in the series but he spent 3 minutes per game on the PK and took 60% of the team's defensive zone faceoffs.

Who will do that when he's gone?

Winning fixes everything.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
The good old points are everything argument . I rather Danault over RNH at the same money . His defensive game more them makes up for the point difference . Plus the Oilers already have 2 great offensive C so a great defensive one would do wonders . If i am the Oilers I offer 5.3x6 . Also less taxes in AB . But if I am him I probably Jump to a USA state with no taxes even if it means taking 4.5 a year .

Oilers dont have 2 great offensive C:s. If Draisaitl plays over 50% on McDavids wing, he is NOT a C. Would you have Danault play 3C for 6M? I bet Drai would be McDavids winger if they signed Danault and not 2C.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Oilers dont have 2 great offensive C:s. If Draisaitl plays over 50% on McDavids wing, he is NOT a C. Would you have Danault play 3C for 6M? I bet Drai would be McDavids winger if they signed Danault and not 2C.
I watch a lot of both teams.

Danault is a much stronger player than RNH.

Nuge takes a bunch of cherry points on the McDrai Power Play.

Danault gets NO powerplay time.
He had no PP minutes, and 0 PP points this year:

Danault >>> Nuge AINEC
upload_2021-6-1_9-7-44.png

Reactions: HockeyWooot

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
At this point, Danault is a player nearing his 30's who has had a bad offensive year. He is a good defensive C. Not a bad player, but not,particularly good. Paying him 6M for five or six years in a flat cap world is madness.
From what I have seen of him, he is what he is. This is not some offensive Dynamo being held in check by nasty Montreal coaches, but a checking line Center, and should be paid accordingly.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
At this point, Danault is a player nearing his 30's who has had a bad offensive year. He is a good defensive C. Not a bad player, but not,particularly good. Paying him 6M for five or six years in a flat cap world is madness.
From what I have seen of him, he is what he is. This is not some offensive Dynamo being held in check by nasty Montreal coaches, but a checking line Center, and should be paid accordingly.

If you ask this Oiler fan if I would rather have RNH or Danault for the same price?
I take Danault without blinking.

He's a rock-solid player.

Sign Danault + Armia as a start to the reconstruction of our 3rd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad