Post-Game Talk: Marill... Merrill..! Habs win in Oil town

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I missed the game, but what did Drouin do that was so horrific this time? Is this a case where the criticism is warranted or more throwing shade at the Habs new whipping boy.

Took a 4 minute highsticking penalty while Habs were on PP with less than 5 minutes left. Nothing happened on the almost 2 minute 4 on 4, but Oilers went to 6-on-4 on the 2nd one, and scored. Then scored with net empty again at 6-on-5. No one's happy with his brain dead penalty.

It was a very physical affair and he was noteworthy for his lack of engagement, especially considering Paul Byron had 7 hits.

Drouin played 4th line with Staal and Perry. Staal definitely showed up for this one. Didn't play a lot, but he and Perry worked hard on the cycle and in our zone. Drouin didn't look bad with them brings speed and skill.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Took a 4 minute highsticking penalty while Habs were on PP with less than 5 minutes left. Nothing happened on the almost 2 minute 4 on 4, but Oilers went to 6-on-4 on the 2nd one, and scored. Then scored with net empty again at 6-on-5. No one's happy with his brain dead penalty.

It was a very physical affair and he was noteworthy for his lack of engagement, especially considering Paul Byron had 7 hits.

Drouin played 4th line with Staal and Perry. Staal definitely showed up for this one. Didn't play a lot, but he and Perry worked hard on the cycle and in our zone. Drouin didn't look bad with them brings speed and skill.

Drouin helped the line knock at the door a couple times. He got in alone, though he did a crappy move. Still he got the chance with his speed and knowing where to go. He also set up Perry alone in the slot with a nice feed from behind the net.

If they can keep doing that, they'll provide secondary scoring.

Staal and Perry's workmen the boards was a thing of beauty. A real combination of toughness and veteran savy.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Some contributors here were clearly bullied as children and are perpetuating that cycle by picking on this one guy in an irrational manner. Drouin made a gorgeous pass to Perry early in the game that should have been a goal. He skated well, took some nice shots. Fluke penalty against him as his stick went high as he pivoted on a turnaround trying to defend against a guy that was turnstiling everybody else.
I’ll have to see the highlights and judge for myself. I do find there is a bit of irrational hate for the guy. Everyone needs a scapegoat

Reactions: Film Noir

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Perry has been one of the most consistent forwards we've had all year. He adds that grit that really is lacking with us.

We have a lot of guys who skate "beautifully" and then take 35 foot wrist shots.
Perry could serve as a real role model for the kids...he has been way better than any of us thought, once he served his sentence on the taxi squad, he has beena fixture in the lineup, and deserves to be.
Sandpaper, and still has some talent around the net...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I’ll have to see the highlights and judge for myself. I do find there is a bit of irrational hate for the guy. Everyone needs a scapegoat
Our team is not good enough to pay a guy 5.5M to float....when we made the deal I thought we were getting a talented 60-70 pt winger, with a ton of offensive upside.
Wow, was I disappointed. He has all world talent, but is playing like butter in July and is lazy.
Nothing irrational there....he has been a dud.
Little did we know, 4 years later, he would be full of arrogance and attitude with his 2 goals, and 20 assists.

Reactions: Pickles and Forum93

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Perry could serve as a real role model for the kids...he has been way better than any of us thought, once he served his sentence on the taxi squad, he has beena fixture in the lineup, and deserves to be.
Yeah he's gotten really slow, but he didn't lose his instincts and hands, which really helps him stay relevant. Love Perry, I hope we can bring him back as a 4th liner + PP + veteran presence

Reactions: BLONG7

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Our team is not good enough to pay a guy 5.5M to float....when we made the deal I thought we were getting a talented 60-70 pt winger, with a ton of offensive upside.
Wow, was I disappointed. He has all world talent, but is playing like butter in July and is lazy.
Little did we know, 4 years later, he would be full of arrogance and attitude with his 2 goals, and 20 assists.
Could not have put it any better.

The day of the trade I didnt even look at getting Drouin........I was pissed at giving away Sergachev. Everyone knew Drouin was little suck. Stevie Y robbed MB on that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pickles and BLONG7

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

You see 2g and 20a... I see 22 points :sarcasm:

Issue with him is his shot has been weaker since the wrist injury. Granted, I’m not sure why he hasn’t strengthened his hand in almost 18 months, but the other solution is to shoot from a lot closer. Problem is he’s just too soft.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
And it's just not on the ice. He shows up at the rink very early and goes through an elaborate pre game routine. The guys a real professional.

I said in the beginning of the year he was and would be one of our most valuable guys. You got to have greasy players on the team.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Then why ask ?
I wanted to get a general feeling. Some posters hate on him when he has a good game. Others see him for what he is, a decent complimentary guy who has game breaking talent even if he seldom shows it. I can get a good sense of reality based on who responds, this one poster fed into my confirmation bias, but I’d like to see for myself before I just blindly accept.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Could not have put it any better.

The day of the trade I dint even look at getting Drouin........I was pissed at giving away Sergachev. Everyone knew Drouin was little suck. Stevie Y robbed MB on that one.
Many ppl approved of the trade while they still thought markov and Radulov were coming back.
MB screwed the pooch, I don’t fault Drouin for that.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Many ppl approved of the trade while they still thought markov and Radulov were coming back.
MB screwed the pooch, I don’t fault Drouin for that.
I dont fault Drouin for not being nearly as valuable as Sergachev either.
Drouin performing poorly is on him.
Drouin performing poorly for the Canadiens is on Marc Bergevin.

Most seen it as a bad trade for the Habs the day it was announced, and stated so.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I wanted to get a general feeling. Some posters hate on him when he has a good game. Others see him for what he is, a decent complimentary guy who has game breaking talent even if he seldom shows it. I can get a good sense of reality based on who responds, this one poster fed into my confirmation bias, but I’d like to see for myself before I just blindly accept.
He played like ya think he did.
Poorly.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I dont fault Drouin for not being nearly as valuable as Sergachev either.
Drouin performing poorly is on him.
Drouin performing poorly for the Canadiens is on Marc Bergevin.

Most seen it as a bad trade for the Habs the day it was announced, and stated so.
This just isn’t true. Go back and read the thread the day the trade was made. Some had some reservations about giving up Sergachev, but many were excited we acquired Drouin for an unknown commodity. This is revisionist history and using the benefit of hindsight to criticize. Now, if the posters who were excited about acquiring Drouin knew what was coming next then I don’t think there would have been any debate, but on trade day, many posters were excited and thought we nabbed a game breaking talent for a prospect. You pretending otherwise won’t make it so. Not only is not true, it’s complete horseshit. In fact, many posters were commenting about how they have never seen such universal love for a trade. You know you lost the debate when your entire argument is based on lies.

MB f***ed it up and Drouin has underperformed. However, I still feel at his caphit he can contribute to a winning team as a secondary offensive catalyst. We seen some of that in spurts, the COVID invitational play-ins, the beginning of the same season. He’s not consistent and he’s not the 70-80 point player we hoped for, but he’s also not nearly as bad as many go on about.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This just isn’t true. Go back and read the thread the day the trade was made. Some had some reservations about giving up Sergachev, but many were excited we acquired Drouin for an unknown commodity. This is revisionist history and using the benefit of hindsight to criticize. Now, if the posters who were excited about acquiring Drouin knew what was coming next then I don’t think there would have been any debate, but on trade day, many posters were excited and thought we nabbed a game breaking talent for a prospect. You pretending otherwise won’t make it so. Not only is not true, it’s complete horseshit. In fact, many posters were commenting about how they have never seen such universal love for a trade. You know you lost the debate when your entire argument is based on lies.

MB f***ed it up and Drouin has underperformed. However, I still feel at his caphit he can contribute to a winning team as a secondary offensive catalyst. We seen some of that in spurts, the COVID invitational play-ins, the beginning of the same season. He’s not consistent and he’s not the 70-80 point player we hoped for, but he’s also not nearly as bad as many go on about.

He'll make nice passing plays here and there. But he also loses possession far too often, after his linemates have done good work to get the puck and start a play. That's what has me thinking he hurts more than he helps. Ww missed him on the 4th line last night.

But I'm hoping Cole's in anyways.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
He'll make nice passing plays here and there. But he also loses possession far too often, after his linemates have done good work to get the puck and start a play. That's what has me thinking he hurts more than he helps. Ww missed him on the 4th line last night.

But I'm hoping Cole's in anyways.
Sure, I agree with most of this, but I don’t think he hurts more than he helps. He’s still got immense skill and the talent to be a threat. Sometimes he tries to do too much and gets in trouble, but most of the games I watched I seen a player working hard, but struggling. The d has no puck moving ability that is the biggest problem. MB went out and got half a squad worth of stay at home blue liners. He’s stuck in the dead puck era.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Sure, I agree with most of this, but I don’t think he hurts more than he helps. He’s still got immense skill and the talent to be a threat. Sometimes he tries to do too much and gets in trouble, but most of the games I watched I seen a player working hard, but struggling. The d has no puck moving ability that is the biggest problem. MB went out and got half a squad worth of stay at home blue liners. He’s stuck in the dead puck era.

yeah my feeling is he ruins more plays than he creates. But it would be better if I had, or could create, some type of stat to confirm this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad