Post-Game Talk: Marill... Merrill..! Habs win in Oil town

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
This just isn’t true. Go back and read the thread the day the trade was made. Some had some reservations about giving up Sergachev, but many were excited we acquired Drouin for an unknown commodity. This is revisionist history and using the benefit of hindsight to criticize. Now, if the posters who were excited about acquiring Drouin knew what was coming next then I don’t think there would have been any debate, but on trade day, many posters were excited and thought we nabbed a game breaking talent for a prospect. You pretending otherwise won’t make it so. Not only is not true, it’s complete horseshit. In fact, many posters were commenting about how they have never seen such universal love for a trade. You know you lost the debate when your entire argument is based on lies.

MB f***ed it up and Drouin has underperformed. However, I still feel at his caphit he can contribute to a winning team as a secondary offensive catalyst. We seen some of that in spurts, the COVID invitational play-ins, the beginning of the same season. He’s not consistent and he’s not the 70-80 point player we hoped for, but he’s also not nearly as bad as many go on about.
Its not "revisionist" if I said it was a bad trade the day it was made.

I wasn't alone either.

But Im sure you are right. Like Bergevin, there were some hopeful Habs who thought they won the trade.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
This just isn’t true. Go back and read the thread the day the trade was made. Some had some reservations about giving up Sergachev, but many were excited we acquired Drouin for an unknown commodity. This is revisionist history and using the benefit of hindsight to criticize. Now, if the posters who were excited about acquiring Drouin knew what was coming next then I don’t think there would have been any debate, but on trade day, many posters were excited and thought we nabbed a game breaking talent for a prospect. You pretending otherwise won’t make it so. Not only is not true, it’s complete horseshit. In fact, many posters were commenting about how they have never seen such universal love for a trade. You know you lost the debate when your entire argument is based on lies.

MB f***ed it up and Drouin has underperformed. However, I still feel at his caphit he can contribute to a winning team as a secondary offensive catalyst. We seen some of that in spurts, the COVID invitational play-ins, the beginning of the same season. He’s not consistent and he’s not the 70-80 point player we hoped for, but he’s also not nearly as bad as many go on about.

Reread those old threads the day of the trade and the days afterwards...there were quite many who absolutely hated this trade from the moment it happened and are still pissed about it; I remember being one of them and still am...this is absolutely not "revisionist history" for the many who have watched ol' Johnny Floaty since his Moose days in Halifax and hated this move then & now...you're pretending that the move was almost universally loved and it wasn't, there were a lot of very knowledgeable people here that were anywhere from unconvinced to completely baffled and pissed by it...

Jul 6, 2016

I wasn't alone either.

But Im sure you are right. Like Bergevin, there were some hopeful Habs who thought they won the trade.

Personally, I thought the price was very stiff to get Drouin. But I was hopeful he would produce well... Until they decide they would put him at centre !!!! Ouch !.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Personally, I thought the price was very stiff to get Drouin. But I was hopeful he would produce well... Until they decide they would put him at centre !!!! Ouch !.

...and people keep forgetting that we almost gave up a 2nd with Sergachev...thankfully Tampa played him over the 40 game threshold erasing the conditional 2nd round pick...

Jul 6, 2016
...and people keep forgetting that we almost gave up a 2nd with Sergachev...thankfully Tampa played him over the 40 game threshold erasing the conditional 2nd round pick...

Th price was as stiff to get Shaw too ... 2 second -rounders who could had been DeBrincat and Girard.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

I wasn't alone either.

Nope, like 80-90% loved this trade. I hate MB, but fans overwhelmingly favoured this trade at the time. I’m betting if I dug through the thread you were probably one of them.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Reread those old threads the day of the trade and the days afterwards...there were quite many who absolutely hated this trade from the moment it happened and are still pissed about it; I remember being one of them and still am...this is absolutely not "revisionist history" for the many who have watched ol' Johnny Floaty since his Moose days in Halifax and hated this move then & now...you're pretending that the move was almost universally loved and it wasn't, there were a lot of very knowledgeable people here that were anywhere from unconvinced to completely baffled and pissed by it...
Nope, sry the original thread had numerous posters commenting that it was one of the only times that the board was largely in favour of the deal. You may have been one of the few, but there were few, very few.

You remember incorrectly. You didn’t express any hate for this deal, unless “I’m not sure how to feel about it” is absolutely hating the deal, you too are rewriting history.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->