Marian Hossa Potentially Retiring? Update: Will Not Play in 17-18

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
Well thats creative, I suppose.

Honestly, every team is going to get out of cap recapture. It was always a BS threat levied at teams that handed out contracts that were not only legal, but approved by the NHL.

The NHL used the threat to ensure the players played close to the full term of their contracts. Beyond that, understandably, no ****s given.

Why doesn't the NHL mandate "if you pay player x dollars for y years, the cap hit each year is x/y"?

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
What a bunch of garbage, allergic to his equipment? Sounds like something a 10 year old would make up

I'm thinking his dog chewed on the equipment, and it's the saliva that he's actually reacting to.

disagree

Hawks ended up with an extra 2,1375 in cap space per year for 8 years

if Hossa's cap hit was over 7mill a year--the hawks would not have been able to add players to help them win the cup

I need to read up on the Hossa contract issue as hockeyscap says his cap hit is $5.275m/yr for the next four seasons. Maybe you are referring to someone else, or hockeyscap is wrong?

Last edited:

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
With the way the league enforces these things, Shea Weber could retire tomorrow and Nashville would get out from under their obligations. Rules without consequences don't serve much purpose.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Pretty poor showing, truth be told.

Refusing to play for $1 mil a year... wow.

I suspect that the league has the documentation from physicians. Other players who have had to quit the game with this condition, such as Tom Reid and Gilles Gilbert, were later diagnosed with contact dermatitis. Obviously no one knows what condition Marian Hossa has other than the team and his doctors, but it could very well be that.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
A1LeafsFan... I believe that New Jersey attempted their collusion after the fixes had already been implemented and were probably strongly dissuaded from submitting that contract. They did it anyways and were punished severely for it.

I mean that's what you said happened....

So you're completely denying that the contract was designed to circumvent the cap?

OK, Blackhawk fans who claim this are living in a world of denial. We're done here.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
looking less and less like the big conspiracy theory that some are making it out to be (huge shocker, I know :sarcasm:);

Q had given Hossa ALOT of practices off over the past couple years. Just always assumed it was to keep him fresh.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Why doesn't the NHL mandate "if you pay player x dollars for y years, the cap hit each year is x/y"?

That's what they do.

Cap hit is divided evenly.

Imagine the shenanigans if teams could pay their stars freaky amounts like:

year 1: league minimum
year 2: $15M
year 3: league minimum
year 4: $15M

It'd be a joke if that was their cap hit. Every other year they could stack their roster with players they shouldn't afford, and every other year they'd voluntarily not even compete.

Every now and then you could match your star players' "league minimum" seasons and build an all-star team.

Actually, that sounds like an interesting concept for a hockey manager video game. But I wouldn't necessarily care to see that happen in hockey for real.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Sorry to be late on this, but it is summer, not hockey season for me... - What is this '"progressive skin disorder"? There should be an exact term for this condition. Anyways, unfortunate news, always liked Hossa for his charisma, style and commitment. -- But I must say his 'skin' has "always" looked strangely yellow indicating some issues in the liver metabolism, that what I used to wonder sometimes now when I think about it. Hopefully the guy recovers from this nasty ailment sooner or later.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Whats the over under on the next player retiring from a mysterious ailment such as being allergic to the ice in rinks?

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
If this is as serious and life threatening as people are making it out to be then he definitely needs to retire and think about his long term health. It's not magically going to disappear in a year, so LTIR won't be necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad