Marian Hossa has played his last game

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
He does count against the cap. Hawks actually haven't used his LTIR to replace cap space yet, though they can.

Even then, he does count against the cap. It's just that you can replace his cap hit, if you are about to go over.

Thanks for the precision, bottom line is the cap can be recaptured so he isn't hurting Hawks.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Hossa hanging in limbo trying to bank in couple more mil.
In the meantime Shipachyov walked away from nine million dollars and Lecavalier retired early leaving money on the table.

He's leaving the Hawks a lot of flexibility by not retiring. Though I'm not sure it will matter a whole lot given their current status of needing some degree of rebuilding.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Only thing that’s a little weird is that he says he can’t work in a front office position because he’s still a player. That can’t be a thing because Pronger is working for the league.
That's different. Pronger is not paid for a non-player position by the team that owns his rights, so it is not an issue. Hossa is still officially a Hawks player. If they hire him for another position and pay him a salary that would be a terrible precedent since it is basically an evasion of the salary cap. If they can do it with Hossa, why not another player? Say when they were extending Kane, they would have signed him to a 2M per year contract as a player and 8,5M per year for whataver managerial role, only counting 2M against the cap. Clearly this wouldn't be allowed. If you are under contract with a team as a player, you cannot get paid by the same team for other things, otherwise the salary cap is useless.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
That's different. Pronger is not paid for a non-player position by the team that owns his rights, so it is not an issue. Hossa is still officially a Hawks player. If they hire him for another position and pay him a salary that would be a terrible precedent since it is basically an evasion of the salary cap. If they can do it with Hossa, why not another player? Say when they were extending Kane, they would have signed him to a 2M per year contract as a player and 8,5M per year for whataver managerial role, only counting 2M against the cap. Clearly this wouldn't be allowed. If you are under contract with a team as a player, you cannot get paid by the same team for other things, otherwise the salary cap is useless.
You might not recall, Pronger was working as a scout for Philly while under contract but ltir. There would be change of precedent based on doing what they already did.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ryane Clowe has been under contract to the Devils as a player (it expires on July 1st of this year), but has been an assistant coach with the Devils for the last two years, so I'm not sure if he's really not allowed to work for the Hawks in another capacity, since he's still under contract as a player.

Reactions: DaveG and Morrison

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Can't wait to see the crapstorm when/if Crosby pulls something similar at the end of his mega deal.
Uhhh, have you looked at his deal? Crosby is gonna be 36 when his deal ends. And still making 3m/year. And, health and team success permitting, in the hunt for 1600+ points and elite postseason company by that point. I’m guessing he plays out the last years of his career on short, 1-2 year extensions.

The way he has adjusted his game in recent seasons, to seemingly conserve himself for the postseason, makes me think the end of his career will look a lot like Jumbo Joe’s twilight years

Reactions: DaveG

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Ryane Clowe has been under contract to the Devils as a player (it expires on July 1st of this year), but has been an assistant coach with the Devils for the last two years, so I'm not sure if he's really not allowed to work for the Hawks in another capacity, since he's still under contract as a player.
Hossa can work for the Hawks in any capacity he wants...as long as he's only being paid ONE salary just like Pronger or Clowe...He has finally although inadvertently admitted what everyone has said...it not the rash as much as it's the money. If you read between the lines...it's not that he can't...he doesn't want to. It's not worth it to him for a mere million a year. he'd rather sit at home with is feet up and do nothing and still collect a check.
What I'd like to see done in situations like these is require the player to fill some type of developmental position on the staff. Hossa himself said that he's been on the ice just not in his gear...well when have you ever seen a coach on the ice in gear? Guys like Pronger,even with his HORRIBLE concussion, was able to go out and scout and teach in that type of role...heck Pronger was or still is coaching a youth team and travelling with them to tournaments as recent as a couple of years ago...let's see how bad Hossa and the Hawks want that LTIR...

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I mean, I'm pretty sure the number of concussions required for brain-scrambling was met quite a while ago for Franzen. Dude had a yearly playoff concussion for like a decade straight.

You do have a point, but it's manageable to a point. One more concussion and his life would not be the same.

Completely different situation then Hossa although I do think he'd rather be playing than sitting his last few years out

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Can't wait to see the crapstorm when/if Crosby pulls something similar at the end of his mega deal.
Even 36 year old Crosby, which I believe will be his age when the deal expires, will be a damn good NHLer. And his salary will be marginal to his cap hit at the time. Any scorn you have towards Crosby now or in the future of this contract is just idiotic.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
The verbal dance he's doing in this article protects the Hawks from cap recapture penalties so well that I'd nominate him for the 2019 Selke ...
So much so that I'm sure he's already found an over-30 mens league back home ...

He didn’t play for Slovakia and he’s still likely their best forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad