Marcus Kruger

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Why stop there? TvR, Darling, Dahlbeck could maybe be included in a sweet package as well? Then I'm sure Versteeg is around somewhere as well and a little birdy told med Shaw is on the block in MTL, we should pounce! Still feel anger every day that we whiffed on the chance to pick up Rasmussen when he was on waivers a while back...:( My anger can be tempered though, by immediately calling up the returned lost son Clendening, he must be the difference maker we've been searching for since the glory days! :thumbu:

What's Dave Bolland up to these days !

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
I'm usually the first guy to get onto people for falling in love with depth players, but damn, we seem to really miss Kruger. While Kruger would be great, I think it's more the mindset of the fourth line that needs adjusting. The relentless forcheck by the 4th line is cool and all, but I see our center getting caught deep way too often to try and keep plays alive. Maybe this is why Q has been more reluctant to match the 4th with one of the top two lines? I don't have figures to back this up because I'm not a stats guy, but it seems like Q has been trying to match 4th on 3rd or 4th on 4th. Toews has always had the tough deployments, but Kane is having to deal with a lot more attention as a result. Kane's numbers are definitely still strong and all, but I can't be the only one noticing him being bottled up for 90% of most games. I think it has much more to do with the deployment strategy than losing the Breadman.

I think its either a lack of confidence in the 4th line to deploy them in a defensive matter, or some kind of completely new tactical approach by Q. Either the 4th needs to be a dominant possession line matched against inferior bottom-6 talent, a 4th line of speedsters deployed with the proper D-men to spring them, or we need the offensive black hole 4th line that helps us gain favorable match-ups. Right now I see a bunch of good parts and no real strategy for the 4th line.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
The 4th line, as currently constructed, isn't good enough to shutdown opposing top lines. Maybe if the Hawks move Kampf to 4C and Wingels to 4RW, Q can try testing that line against tougher opponents. But that'll need to wait until Anisimov is back.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'm usually the first guy to get onto people for falling in love with depth players, but damn, we seem to really miss Kruger. While Kruger would be great, I think it's more the mindset of the fourth line that needs adjusting. The relentless forcheck by the 4th line is cool and all, but I see our center getting caught deep way too often to try and keep plays alive. Maybe this is why Q has been more reluctant to match the 4th with one of the top two lines? I don't have figures to back this up because I'm not a stats guy, but it seems like Q has been trying to match 4th on 3rd or 4th on 4th. Toews has always had the tough deployments, but Kane is having to deal with a lot more attention as a result. Kane's numbers are definitely still strong and all, but I can't be the only one noticing him being bottled up for 90% of most games. I think it has much more to do with the deployment strategy than losing the Breadman.

I think its either a lack of confidence in the 4th line to deploy them in a defensive matter, or some kind of completely new tactical approach by Q. Either the 4th needs to be a dominant possession line matched against inferior bottom-6 talent, a 4th line of speedsters deployed with the proper D-men to spring them, or we need the offensive black hole 4th line that helps us gain favorable match-ups. Right now I see a bunch of good parts and no real strategy for the 4th line.

You're pretty much bang on in your assessments.

We traded a team-wide advantage in matchups for a marginal increase in scoring at the bottom of our lineup. It's a big net negative.

The reality of the cap is such that we couldn't afford Kruger on his current contract. If the cap weren't an issue, I'd happily pay Kruger double what we pay Bouma and Wingels combined to do far less.

It was just such a dumb, retrograde decision purely from a tactical standpoint, regardless of talent. The Blackhawks were ahead of the curve by getting rid of a traditional energy line and instead going with 3 scoring lines and a shutdown line (or, more specifically, a hard-match possession line, a scoring line, a bum-slayer line and a defensive shutdown line). And the copy-cat NHL followed their lead when it lead to great success. LA and PIT ran the same formula.

But somehow Stan and company got it into their heads that Nashville swept the Blackhawks cause they beat us up, rather than because they skated us out of the building every night. SO he went out and signed GRIT, instead of you know, useful hockey players.

At least he's addressed the youth and speed issue since. Hopefully the end of Wingels and Bouma's one-year deals will be the end of this retrograde, backwards nonsense on the 4th line and we can get back to having a Kruger-type making everybody else's lives easier.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

We traded a team-wide advantage in matchups for a marginal increase in scoring at the bottom of our lineup. It's a big net negative.

The reality of the cap is such that we couldn't afford Kruger on his current contract. If the cap weren't an issue, I'd happily pay Kruger double what we pay Bouma and Wingels combined to do far less.

It was just such a dumb, retrograde decision purely from a tactical standpoint, regardless of talent. The Blackhawks were ahead of the curve by getting rid of a traditional energy line and instead going with 3 scoring lines and a shutdown line (or, more specifically, a hard-match possession line, a scoring line, a bum-slayer line and a defensive shutdown line). And the copy-cat NHL followed their lead when it lead to great success. LA and PIT ran the same formula.

But somehow Stan and company got it into their heads that Nashville swept the Blackhawks cause they beat us up, rather than because they skated us out of the building every night. SO he went out and signed GRIT, instead of you know, useful hockey players.

At least he's addressed the youth and speed issue since. Hopefully the end of Wingels and Bouma's one-year deals will be the end of this retrograde, backwards nonsense on the 4th line and we can get back to having a Kruger-type making everybody else's lives easier.
The Hawks problem isn't due to a lack of performance from our bottom 6. The problems lies in our lack of production from our top 6 AND our leaky defense from our top 2 DMen pairings. It's not because of Marcus Kruger the Hawks are struggling.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I'm really optimistic and happy with Kampf so far ... he is looking to be a real steal of a deal!
That's why with him, the acquisition of Duclair and the emergence of our young D like Oesterle, Rutta and Forsling I am embracing the glass half full mode in full gusto!

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The Hawks problem isn't due to a lack of performance from our bottom 6. The problems lies in our lack of production from our top 6 AND our leaky defense from our top 2 DMen pairings. It's not because of Marcus Kruger the Hawks are struggling.
It's certainly part of it, but more so has to do with losing Hossa as well. Toews now has to take tougher matchups, meaning him Saad and whoever have a tougher time scoring. Kane also has to be in tougher matchups as well, it's a trickle effect.

The Kruger we had the last 2 years or so wasn't the same Kruger we signed to 3mil, but he was still a good minute eater that allowed our top 6 players to have easier assignments.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
bring back ben smith!!!!!

no seriously, kruger has been average to bad for the canes this season.

Sure... ageing. What we miss is what Kruger was... He is no longer that same player now.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
bring back ben smith!!!!!

no seriously, kruger has been average to bad for the canes this season.
I know where we can find Adam Burish

Kruger's still a good shot sponge but that's it. He's too slow to move it out of the zone.

Reactions: clydesdale line

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
You guys can joke around all you want about re-acquiring Bolland or Burish, but let's get serious and admit that we all know what the real answer is.

Sign John Madden and Brent Sopel out of retirement.

Reactions: Rolo

Flahawkfan

Apr 24, 2017
Roenick and Savard still looked pretty good also. Maybe Chelly's got a few miles left? No more retreads please. Lets look forward not backward. Look, I hoped Sharp still had something left when the hawks signed him, but I've been disappointed. Its time for a rebuild. Someone said it better than I could, you don't fix the shocks when the trannys slipping. No truer words have been spoken.

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL

I think that's the bottom line here. Kruger was absolutely fantastic filling that role, and we totally miss him for it. As for what we have, when Anisimov comes back, I'd like to see a 4th line of Wingels-Kampf-(Bouma? Hayden? ) Wingels is a good F1 on the 4th line, and I've liked what we've seen from Kampf defensively so far. Deploy them with dungeon starts and put them in the same role as Kruger's line, sink or swim. This is a team that lives and dies with it's top-6, and frankly, getting favorable match-ups has always been one of Q's strengths, so if we have a line that can at least be competent defensively against top talent, we'd be way better off.

Reactions: JaegerDice

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You guys can joke around all you want about re-acquiring Bolland or Burish, but let's get serious and admit that we all know what the real answer is.

Sign John Madden and Brent Sopel out of retirement.

Bobby Hull is a bit long in the tooth, but I bet he can still shoot.

Please put this thread to rest. It's making me puke that it is in front of me every time I visit.

Reactions: pvr

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Bobby Hull is a bit long in the tooth, but I bet he can still shoot.

Please put this thread to rest. It's making me puke that it is in front of me every time I visit.

Too funny! My friend went to a fantasy camp about 10 years ago in Tamp with Bobby Hull, Tony and Phil Esposito among others.

He got there early and sat with Bobby at the bar. Time comes to go the camp HQ and Bobby asks a favor. Sure my friend says, what do you need? Help me put my sportcoat on my left shoulder is essentially useless.! So my friend helps him get dressed.

In hindsight he was grateful Bobby didn't need help wiping.

100% true story.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
It's certainly part of it, but more so has to do with losing Hossa as well. Toews now has to take tougher matchups, meaning him Saad and whoever have a tougher time scoring. Kane also has to be in tougher matchups as well, it's a trickle effect.

The Kruger we had the last 2 years or so wasn't the same Kruger we signed to 3mil, but he was still a good minute eater that allowed our top 6 players to have easier assignments.

Stop making excuses for Toews, he always had top matchups and was dominating both ends of the rink, now he just sucks, he played with Hossa last year and same result same **** even when Kane or Panarin were moved to that line, in fact the entire lineup was up and down beside Toews and he did squat...

I have let the topic go for a while as he was playing relatively well but it just annoys me seeing these kind of posts...

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Between Kampf and Highmore, one of the two should be a solid 4C down the road. Highmore got high praise from him junior coach last year and was compared to Danault. He's certainly having an awesome year in Rockford. And Kampf has looked good as well in his limited time in Chicago. Sharp compared him to a Kruger type player with more offensive upside.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Between Kampf and Highmore, one of the two should be a solid 4C down the road. Highmore got high praise from him junior coach last year and was compared to Danault. He's certainly having an awesome year in Rockford. And Kampf has looked good as well in his limited time in Chicago. Sharp compared him to a Kruger type player with more offensive upside.
Source?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Stop making excuses for Toews, he always had top matchups and was dominating both ends of the rink, now he just sucks, he played with Hossa last year and same result same **** even when Kane or Panarin were moved to that line, in fact the entire lineup was up and down beside Toews and he did squat...

I have let the topic go for a while as he was playing relatively well but it just annoys me seeing these kind of posts...
He has seen tough minutes before and produced, he isn't as good as he once was though. I'm not making excuses, just telling how it is.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
we should just deploy Toews as Kruger at this point... Anisimov atleast has net presence, and kampf and schmaltx have more raw offensive skill.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Source for what? They mentioned the Sharp comment on a recent broadcast when they asked him what it was like to play with Kampf. And the Highmore comment was in an article published last year when the Hawks signed Highmore as a UDFA. I think Highmore and Danault played for the same junior team, St. Johns Sea Dogs or whatever they're called.

Edit:

Here is the Highmore article. You'd have to watch one of the recent games on center ice to catch the Sharp comment.

Blackhawks high on new prospect Matthew Highmore

“He reminds me a lot of Phillip Danault at his age,” said Flynn, who also was previously an NHL assistant coach. “He’s a solid two-way center.”

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
The best answer right now is to get rid of Q and hire a coach that will slot the players where they should be slotted in order to play to their strengths. Every game I see multiple mistakes made by Q in his lines, in his defensive pairings and in his benching. The first step is to fire Q, hire a new coach and see how the team plays under the new coach. Others did it mid season with great results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad