Speculation: Marcus Johansson's Next Contract

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
any player that is not a point per game player is going to have dry spells particularly if they are prone to hot spells. I suspect the next 15 - 20 games will even things out. it didn't help that bura went ice cold in that stretch unless you want to put that on Johansson.
At this point Johansson needs to be able to handle himself. It's no surprise those wraparound goals are gone. He's not as good as his start and likely not as bad as that second stretch either. Either way to me he's not a very good system fit so if a large raise is in the offing I'd much rather trade him for a second rounder or something at the draft. Put whoever is weaker at center between 65/92 there instead and you're likely not losing much. Or put Laich there. Or Vrana if he's ready next year.

They have a lot of options if need be and should be at the point where standards are rising. If he doesn't prove himself essential then given what's in the system he ought to be moved when the timing is right.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
"So, what will it cost the Caps to re-sign Johansson?

To help gauge this, I’m going to take a look at some players who have put up similar numbers to Johansson during their first five seasons in the league. To start, here’s a list of forwards since 2009 that have, in their first five seasons, done the following:

1) played in 250 or more games

2) scored 40 or more goals

3) totaled 120 or more points

4) skated more than 4000 minutes

Marcus Johansson falls in this group. It’s important to note that Johansson’s numbers are incomplete, as they include this season. So, while the numbers will change between now and the end of the season, I’m looking at this in terms of extending Johansson now.

I’ve picked out a few players to help find a value for Johansson. The stats are for the players’ first 5 seasons.

Player GP G A P TOI/G Previous contract Contract Signed
Marchand 300 92 94 186 15.76 2yr/$5M 4yr/$18M Season 4
Ennis 267 69 97 166 17.09 2yr/$5.65M 5yr/$23M Season 5
Desharnais 257 50 113 163 16.51 2yr/$1.7M 4yr/$14M Season 3
Johansson 292 50 107 157 16.42 2yr/$4M ??????? Season 5
Grabner 283 87 55 142 14.87 3yr/$2.7M 5yr/$15M Season 2
"

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
So are you saying trade him during the season or after the season or what?

And if dealing him what fantasy are you harboring with respect to a return and what they might do with the possible $4+ mil in cap space saved?

My fantasy is that we roll with Ovechkin, Laich and Burakovsky at LW in some order. I don't even care if we don't spend the money. We just flat out don't need him. He doesn't contribute anything and he doesn't fill a roster hole.

Burakovsky95*

If there's a deal to be had where we package Johansson for an upgrade somewhere there's no reason not to do it. Kuznetsov and Burakovsky can replace him on both PP1 and line 2.

Halpysback*

Mojo and Brouwer should go

Laich can stay since he's apparently the even strength goalie whisperer.

Ward should probably be kept since he steps up and does intangibly things very well, but will probably get 4.5+ from Edmonton or Florida

AO NB TW
Bura ??? Kuz
Laich ??? Ward/Barber
O'Brien Latta Beagle

Have one ??? be Vermette and the other Legwand (we trade for him)

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Mojo and Brouwer should go

Laich can stay since he's apparently the even strength goalie whisperer.

Ward should probably be kept since he steps up and does intangibly things very well, but will probably get 4.5+ from Edmonton or Florida

AO NB TW
Bura ??? Kuz
Laich ??? Ward/Barber
O'Brien Latta Beagle

Have one ??? be Vermette and the other Legwand (we trade for him)

I really want to see what that second line would look like with a real 2C.

Halpysback*

I really want to see what that second line would look like with a real 2C.

Ideally one who is fast, defensively responsible, very good on draws and has at least 50 point offensive ability and above average puck retrieval skills. Just imagine

Burakovsky-Grabovski-Kuznetsov

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Bura ??? Kuz

I have no issue with this personally and would be all for it but I genuinely believe Trotz when he says the organization sees those two as centermen. I'm not saying they are right or that I agree, because I don't, but I believe they believe they are right.

For that reason I can't see them adding a center long term. I can see them deciding they aren't ready for the playoffs and thus might bring in a rental and then let them walk afterwards but that is about it.

Maybe I am wrong and Trotz is just parroting the company line but given his stature in the game compared to MacLellan's I don't think he is just going to do that.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Ideally one who is fast, defensively responsible, very good on draws and has at least 50 point offensive ability and above average puck retrieval skills. Just imagine

Even though it doesn't actually make sense given their nationalities, I would have deemed it the KGB line.

Alas, glue costs an awful lot in DC so there wasn't room at the inn for a skilled top 6 player.

Burakovsky95*

I mean Eric Fehr would probably work just fine between those two

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe I am wrong and Trotz is just parroting the company line but given his stature in the game compared to MacLellan's I don't think he is just going to do that.
Then why did they have interest in Kesler? I think all of their plans are provisional. I find it very hard to believe if there's a deal out there that makes sense to upgrade at center that they'd pass because of their long-term plans. Plans change.

In theory adding an established center would just mean one of 65/92 playing wing. As-is with 65 already playing 4LW the center experiment has narrowed to one of the two playing it at a time anyway. Tough to think that changes as the season progresses unless both show significant defensive improvement. (Also tough not to think that Hershey is best for Burakovsky under the circumstances.)

I agree that one of the two will be playing center next year but not necessarily both. They only need three scoring-line centers if they're going to play a more aggressive downhill puck possession style. Icing a premium checking/shutdown line instead renders a three deep scoring center plan completely unnecessary.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't believe Trotz had fallen in love with Burakovsky the center at that point.

doesn't the ice time for that line often show that he doesn't use it like an actual quality 2nd line? these players get learning ice time. not critical ice time. Johansson and Brouwer are special teams players that trotz trusts as veterans to read the play and protect against rookie mistakes, but at es laich fehr and ward are the 2nd line.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
doesn't the ice time for that line often show that he doesn't use it like an actual quality 2nd line? these players get learning ice time. not critical ice time. Johansson and Brouwer are special teams players that trotz trusts as veterans to read the play and protect against rookie mistakes, but at es laich fehr and ward are the 2nd line.

I'm not sure what my post you quoted has to do with your response.

I was talking about why they were interested in Kesler earlier but possibly aren't looking to bring in a center as anything more than a rental now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I was talking about why they were interested in Kesler earlier but possibly aren't looking to bring in a center as anything more than a rental now.

Once seeing what he has to work with in Kuznetsov and Burakovsky, he may conclude that they are a better route to take long term than an expensive trade/expensive long term contract. That would explain the change in views.

that and that ryan kesler's are rare

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

Yes, imagine retaining Grabo. And Forsberg. F ing absurd. :rant:

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
Always find it amazing the people on this board want players gone for no reason. Just to get rid of them it seems like.

Sure, the past 2 years, I was extremely disappointed in MOJO. He has terrible puck possession, got knocked off the puck easily, and had some bad hands.

He has improved TREMENDOUSLY this year. He controls the puck so much better, put on some muscle, and has nice shot.

All the sudden people want him gone?

Hes only 24 and hes showing sign of improving. Lets keep seeing where he goes.

Meanwhile, the play of Chimmer and Green single handedly have been costing goals, game after game, taking stupid penalties that constantly put the team at risk.

But I rarely see mentions of those people being traded.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Always find it amazing the people on this board want players gone for no reason. Just to get rid of them it seems like.

Sure, the past 2 years, I was extremely disappointed in MOJO. He has terrible puck possession, got knocked off the puck easily, and had some bad hands.

He has improved TREMENDOUSLY this year. He controls the puck so much better, put on some muscle, and has nice shot.

All the sudden people want him gone?

Hes only 24 and hes showing sign of improving. Lets keep seeing where he goes.

Meanwhile, the play of Chimmer and Green single handedly have been costing goals, game after game, taking stupid penalties that constantly put the team at risk.

But I rarely see mentions of those people being traded.

You rarely see mentions of Green being traded??? :whaaa?: Seriously, anti-Green rants are everywhere, mine included :).

Chimmer.. I think he's just not that exciting a piece to talk of trade. Bottom 6, doesn't cost a lot of money, not gonna yield anything in a trade.. yawn. I don't think anybody is exactly dying to keep him.

As far as Mojo, he's improved, sure. But the question becomes role & salary. Would you want him to get paid 4m and get in the way of Kuz/Bura/or some upgrade, in terms of top-6. Because it's a realistic possibility if he stays. In other words, what's a good lineup with Mojo staying and making bank, hypothetically speaking? And if Caps roll a "heavy" 3rd line, it's hard to imagine a good fit for him there.

In the abstract, I think Mojo (if he can sustain some of his early performance this year) is a nice player to keep, as long as the salary stays reasonable. However, in practical terms, I think his fit is pretty questionable -- it really depends on whether the Caps are gonna stick by Bura and Kuz each centering their own line. If they end up playing together, I think they'll end up needing somebody different from Mojo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Grabovski has 12 points this year.
All at ES, which would tie him with Johansson for 3rd on the team among forwards. My browser is acting up so I can't check, but I'm guessing he's doing it with much less favorable zone starts as well.

His FO% is terrible so far though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad