Speculation: Marcus Johansson's Next Contract

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
MJ's play has been a pleasant surprise this year, I it has probably raised the value of his next contract. I'm interested in what you guys think he will sign for. For argument sake, let's assume he signs a four (4) year deal. The poll is supposed to represent what you think he will be signed for, not what you think he deserves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Too soon to say. Despite his start I really wouldn't throw term at him unless it's a very team-friendly deal (similar to what the Islanders have done with some of their players).

discobob

Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Too soon to say. Despite his start I really wouldn't throw term at him unless it's a very team-friendly deal (similar to what the Islanders have done with some of their players).

So what do you think would be a fair contract in terms of length and $$?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Otherwise disappointing player suddenly surges in a contract year? Beware big deals.

discobob

Dec 2, 2009
Everything
I probably should have suggested a 2 or 3 year contract as that would be more likely...oh well, can't change the poll...

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
So what do you think would be a fair contract in terms of length and $$?
Again, too soon to say. Right now I wouldn't go much above 2x$3.25M per or so. That would bring him to UFA status and he'd really have to establish himself for them to consider keep him at anything close to UFA market rate.

I'd like to see some playmaking and real chemistry in making Burakovsky better before concluding he's what that line really needs. Shooting more is nice and he's been rewarded for it but I'm still not convinced he's a keeper all-around.

MacLellan is waiting with everyone it would seem and he's another one that would also likely prefer to wait and see how it goes.

discobob

Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Again, too soon to say. Right now I wouldn't go much above 2x$3.25M per or so. That would bring him to UFA status and he'd really have to establish himself for them to consider keep him at anything close to UFA market rate.

I'd like to see some playmaking and real chemistry in making Burakovsky better before concluding he's what that line really needs. Shooting more is nice and he's been rewarded for it but I'm still not convinced he's a keeper all-around.

MacLellan is waiting with everyone it would seem and he's another one that would also likely prefer to wait and see how it goes.

I was thinking that he had 3 years of RFA status left, but was forgetting how many years he had played. That being said, I'd probably prefer a 1 year contract, allowing us one more year before committing, but also allowing us to negotiate a longer term UFA-type of deal, but without having to compete with other teams.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I was thinking that he had 3 years of RFA status left, but was forgetting how many years he had played. That being said, I'd probably prefer a 1 year contract, allowing us one more year before committing, but also allowing us to negotiate a longer term UFA-type of deal, but without having to compete with other teams.

Doubt he wants that, though, and even if the team elects arbitration, he has the right to choose a 2-year contract.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I didn't realize that arbitration eligible players got the right to choose 1yr vs 2yrs.

Only if it's team-elected arbitration. There may be another requirement as well - don't remember too well, but I know it came up this summer regarding Ryan O'Reilly. Langway?

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I didn't realize that arbitration eligible players got the right to choose 1yr vs 2yrs.

Only if it's team-elected arbitration. There may be another requirement as well - don't remember too well, but I know it came up this summer regarding Ryan O'Reilly. Langway?

Found it.

CBA Section 12.9 said:
(c) Election of Term.
The party against whom a salary arbitration election was filed (i.e., the Club in
Player-elected salary arbitration and the Player in Club-elected salary arbitration) shall elect in
its brief whether the salary arbitration award shall be for a one or two-year SPC.
Failure to make
such an election shall be deemed to constitute an election for a one-year SPC. Notwithstanding
the foregoing: (i) the Club or the Player, as the case may be, shall be entitled to elect only a oneyear
SPC if the Player is within one (1) year of attaining the age and experience level required
for Group 3 Player status; and (ii) if the Player has attained or is within one (1) year of attaining
the experience level required for Group 5 Player status and the Club has elected a two-year SPC,
the Player may, at the end of the first year of such SPC, elect to void the second year of the SPC
if the Player's Paragraph 1 NHL Salary for the first League Year of such SPC is less than the
Average League Salary for such League Year and, upon making such election, such Player shall
(if he otherwise qualifies at such time) become a Group 5 Player and be entitled to the rights set
out in Section 10.1(b). If the Club elects a one-year award for a Player within one (1) year of
attaining the experience level required for Group 5 Player status, then at the end of that year, the
Player may if he so elects, and if he qualifies, become a Group 5 Player at that time and be
entitled to the rights set out in Section 10.1(b).

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
3 years, 3.75, but it's pulling numbers out of a hat at this point. Have to wait to see if he cools down or regresses to the Marcus mean.

One thing I don't do is sign him right now (*cough* GMGM *cough*). His play isn't likely to improve any more than it already has in the near term, so might as well wait it out for a couple more months to see if he can keep it up.

discobob

Dec 2, 2009
Everything

So based on the post with the rules, the Caps keep the right to determine contract length unless they take MJ to arbitration. Given that, I would push for a 1 yr / 3.XX type of contract from the Caps end.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
So based on the post with the rules, the Caps keep the right to determine contract length unless they take MJ to arbitration. Given that, I would push for a 1 yr / 3.XX type of contract from the Caps end.

All he has to do is refuse. He's under no obligation to sign a contract; RFA status only protects the Caps against other teams signing him via the offer sheet compensation mechanism. He can force the Caps into either a holdout (technically, it's not a holdout because he's not under contract) or arbitration situation if that's all they offer him.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
The contract he's sure to get would be a lot easier to swallow if Laich wasn't sucking that up (and then some) to sit on IR all year.

I'm thinking $3.75M per.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad