Former Bruins Marcus Johansson - Sabres sign forward Marcus Johansson to two-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
Let's be honest: pretty much none of our prospects will bring the impact that Jojo can bring over the next three years. Bjork has been on the shelf for practically two years, JFK/Frederic/Senyshyn are nothing special, and Studnicka/Lauko are still pretty raw. I'd rather go with Johansson and make a play for several cups with our aging core than to moan about a lack of scoring all season again next year.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
If you tell me right now Marcus Johansson comes into town next year with an opponent and first ice cleaning break they show a little montage of him in a Bruins uniform hoisting the Cup to a standing ovation I’ll sign up right now

That said he does seem to go very well with Coyle- that’s a heck of a third line foundation
This is a good point, they have chemistry now. I am fine with letting that continue next year, move out Backes and Miller. Clifton has been very good and Studnicka needs a spot with Krech and JDB or let it be Kuhlman. Better, younger and cheaper options.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`d entertain the idea of signing Marcus but it would be on a short deal, 2-3 yrs max and I`m not sure he`d be interested. That said, I think the UFA class this year is pretty solid, might be a better option out there

Reactions: TwineTickler

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Let's be honest: pretty much none of our prospects will bring the impact that Jojo can bring over the next three years. Bjork has been on the shelf for practically two years, JFK/Frederic/Senyshyn are nothing special, and Studnicka/Lauko are still pretty raw. I'd rather go with Johansson and make a play for several cups with our aging core than to moan about a lack of scoring all season again next year.

Johansson is a safe bet to be better than any of the prospects for next year, but in a cap world you have to make sacrifices and give honest opportunities to ELC guys. It's unfortunate to lose out on good players, but GMs have to make tough decisions on middle-6 players. If Steen, Studnicka, Bjork etc. won't work out, you can then try to improve at the trade deadline.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Johansson is a safe bet to be better than any of the prospects for next year, but in a cap world you have to make sacrifices and give honest opportunities to ELC guys. It's unfortunate to lose out on good players, but GMs have to make tough decisions on middle-6 players. If Steen, Studnicka, Bjork etc. won't work out, you can then try to improve at the trade deadline.
man I keep forgetting about Bjork, kid has had 0 luck in staying healthy

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I`d entertain the idea of signing Marcus but it would be on a short deal, 2-3 yrs max and I`m not sure he`d be interested. That said, I think the UFA class this year is pretty solid, might be a better option out there

Just to play a little devils advocate here. The strong UFA market could really help out the bruins signing Johansson back. Many teams will be spending big $$ on other players and teams will have their attention set on those players while the bruins fly under the radar and get talks going early with him and sign him.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Just to play a little devils advocate here. The strong UFA market could really help out the bruins signing Johansson back. Many teams will be spending big $$ on other players and teams will have their attention set on those players while the bruins fly under the radar and get talks going early with him and sign him.
good point or Mojo`s playoff play may have a GM or two pounce hard on him

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Holy smokes. I’ve been so obsessed with playoffs I’ve not really looked at UFA’s. Just looked them up. There’s an amazing pool this year. July 1 is going to make TDL seem tame.

Everyone should pony up the $14 or $15 to become a Sponsor so HF can tune up the old servers.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
Holy smokes. I’ve been so obsessed with playoffs I’ve not really looked at UFA’s. Just looked them up. There’s an amazing pool this year. July 1 is going to make TDL seem tame.

Everyone should pony up the $14 or $15 to become a Sponsor so HF can tune up the old servers.
This just popped up on my phone.

NHL's Top 12 UFAs of 2019: Latest rumours, reports - Sportsnet.ca

"The summer of 2019 could deliver no shortage of star power, as a two-time Norris winner, a two-time Vezina winner, two Calder winners, and a few clubs’ top scorers are all racing toward July 1’s open market."

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
being able to afford players under the cap is tricky... and keeping one guy who is an offensively minded center when trading another

Thanks for informing me on this. I was unaware just how difficult the cap is. Being the lowly fan I am, I've never been able to grasp every thing to know about the cap. Luckily, we have you here to tell us all about it!

I suppose you didnt see Johansson used as a center since he arrived and its a bit hard to remember he grew up a center, was drafted as a center, and played center throughout a lot of his career.

Well yes....He hasn't been used at center since coming to Boston. He's been used primarily at wing. So with that, why would Boston decide this offseason to trade Krejci (center) to keep Johansson (winger). I don't really care if Johansson grew up a center, was drafted as a center, and has played center at times during his career. You have to go back to 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 to find a season where Johansson took over 500 faceoffs in a season.

The last 5 years, here are Johansson's faceoff numbers:

2018-2019: 58 GP -- 50 Faceoffs = 0.87 FO/Gm
2017-2018: 29 GP -- 74 Faceoffs = 2.5 FO/Gm
2016-2017: 82 GP -- 28 Faceoffs = 0.34 FO/Gm
2015-2016: 74 GP -- 274 Faceoffs = 3.7 FO/Gm
2014-2015: 82 GP -- 14 Faceoffs = 0.17 FO/Gm

In the last 5 years, Johansson has played in 325 games played and has taken 440 faceoffs. That's and average of 1.4 faceoffs per game. That's winger type numbers. For his total career, he's played in 588 games and has taken 2186 faceoffs. That averages out to about 3.7 faceoffs/gm. He has a 41.8 FOW% at center for his career. He's never been above 50% in a season for FOW. Keep in mind he took 1379 of those 2186 faceoffs in his first two seasons.

is it a move that I necessarily would be very excited about? keeping coyle/Johansson around to have depth at center while kids like karlsson/federic/studnicka/kuhlman are given the opportunity to try to take the the second/third line center spots?

not really... but is it a move that a pro team might be considering? drafting a bunch of talented young centers? trying to replace more expensive aging vets with these kids? keeping a plan B around just in case the process hits a bumpy road???

You lose depth at center if you trade Krejci to keep Johansson. Coyle isn't a #2 center. Johansson clearly is not a #2 center...He's not even a #3 center. You're suggesting this to make room for a rookie? Lets not.... It failed tremendously this year when they tried to do it with Krejci. I don't see any of those suggestions as options next year for a full time center spot.

I highly doubt your suggestion of moving Krejci to keep a guy like Johansson is a move that a pro team would consider.

well... I hope at the very least you can see the correlation im hinting at

I don't because including Krejci in that point, and trying to argue it doesn't make sense. Trading Backes to make room for Johansson? That makes sense. Backes has played winger since getting here, just like Johansson. Krejci is a Top 6 center on this team. Why would you move him to keep a Top 9 winger (primarily 3LW).

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Thanks for informing me on this. I was unaware just how difficult the cap is. Being the lowly fan I am, I've never been able to grasp every thing to know about the cap. Luckily, we have you here to tell us all about it!

Well yes....He hasn't been used at center since coming to Boston. He's been used primarily at wing. So with that, why would Boston decide this offseason to trade Krejci (center) to keep Johansson (winger). I don't really care if Johansson grew up a center, was drafted as a center, and has played center at times during his career. You have to go back to 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 to find a season where Johansson took over 500 faceoffs in a season.

The last 5 years, here are Johansson's faceoff numbers:

2018-2019: 58 GP -- 50 Faceoffs = 0.87 FO/Gm
2017-2018: 29 GP -- 74 Faceoffs = 2.5 FO/Gm
2016-2017: 82 GP -- 28 Faceoffs = 0.34 FO/Gm
2015-2016: 74 GP -- 274 Faceoffs = 3.7 FO/Gm
2014-2015: 82 GP -- 14 Faceoffs = 0.17 FO/Gm

In the last 5 years, Johansson has played in 325 games played and has taken 440 faceoffs. That's and average of 1.4 faceoffs per game. That's winger type numbers. For his total career, he's played in 588 games and has taken 2186 faceoffs. That averages out to about 3.7 faceoffs/gm. He has a 41.8 FOW% at center for his career. He's never been above 50% in a season for FOW. Keep in mind he took 1379 of those 2186 faceoffs in his first two seasons.

You lose depth at center if you trade Krejci to keep Johansson. Coyle isn't a #2 center. Johansson clearly is not a #2 center...He's not even a #3 center. You're suggesting this to make room for a rookie? Lets not.... It failed tremendously this year when they tried to do it with Krejci. I don't see any of those suggestions as options next year for a full time center spot.

I highly doubt your suggestion of moving Krejci to keep a guy like Johansson is a move that a pro team would consider.

I don't because including Krejci in that point, and trying to argue it doesn't make sense. Trading Backes to make room for Johansson? That makes sense. Backes has played winger since getting here, just like Johansson. Krejci is a Top 6 center on this team. Why would you move him to keep a Top 9 winger (primarily 3LW).

im guessing that my suggestion was more about moving krejci to free up cap room and roster spot for one of the kids... and that my suggestion for keeping Johansson was more like having a plan B in case the kid didnt fill the spot adequately?

im very very luke warm about it... but someone suggested to keep him... I asked how it can be afforded? then to answer my own question I said I suppose I can see an argument if krejci was being moved... and I guess you said you couldnt see it

so I thought id explain it to a degree you could see where the argument was

its not an argument I have any love for and I doubt you will understand it any futher no matter how much more I spoke about it. if it helped im happy and if it didnt, then im not surprised

at the end of the day im not expecting Johansson back and not expecting krejci gone.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I like Mojo a lot on that 3rd line with Coyle and he’s a good addition to the second PP unit.

If the price is right we should go for it.

It rarely is for UFA, sadly. Would love to get a steal of a contract with him (maybe he loves Marchand enough to do it), but if he gets paid elsewhere, I’ll be happy for him, especially with his shit injury luck recently.

Reactions: The National

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I was wrong about him as a last resort back up plan...

His durability worries me but he is a heck of a player if he wants to stay another year with Heinen and Coyle.

Reactions: veganbruin

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
In terms of signing him, he plays well with Krejci. Well, he CAN when needed, and that’s more than how many other forwards they’ve tried with Krejci? He fills in near perfectly for the middle 6, filling a massive void on this team.

Not sure what that means to Sweeney though

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I like the prospects a lot but this guy is who we hope some of them turn into. I say sign the guy that IS it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad