Former Bruins Marcus Johansson - Sabres sign forward Marcus Johansson to two-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
He feels like a 4 year $4M guy. 29 at the start of next season.

Not a good fit with the young guys coming up and/or trading for/signing a legit top 6 winger.

Hopefully he has a good playoff run, help the Bs and also up his value for the next contract.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Mojo is flying around the ice these days

I wonder if it was due to injury return/rust that he didn't look as fast vs the Leafs

or the Leafs overall are just that much faster and Sharks are a notch slower

whatever the case is

boy if he and Coyle can carry some of the offensive load....... this team is going to be hard to beat

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I still wish he was on the second line because I think he could make that line ridiculous. But he is still finding a way to contribute even being on a line that's not really made for his style. Great to see him contributing.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
He feels like a 4 year $4M guy. 29 at the start of next season.

Not a good fit with the young guys coming up and/or trading for/signing a legit top 6 winger.

Hopefully he has a good playoff run, help the Bs and also up his value for the next contract.

I don't think $5+ million would be out of the question for him. Silfverberg just signed 5yr @ $5.25 million per, has a similar P/GP over the last 3 years and is only a year younger. Now P/GP isn't everything, but here's a list of guys with similar P/GP (+/- .2) over the last 3 years:

Justin Williams - $4.5 million
Patric Hornqvist - $5.3 million
Derek Stepan - $6.5 million
Gustav Nyquist - $4.7 million
Kyle Turris - $6.0 million
Jordan Eberle - $6.0 million
Mikael Backlund - $5.3 million
Brendan Gallagher - $3.7 million

I'm not really worried about the younger guys. If they earn a spot and Mojo is no longer needed, you can trade him. Right now though I think if you can go into the season next year with Mojo - Coyle - Heinen, then you're in good shape for a 3rd line.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if
if...
if they were thinking of trading krejci...

I could see Johansson being kept around at the cheaper price. we havent seen Johansson used at center but he is a more natural center. we have seen that his skill set is one we dont have a ton of. I think ive seen some chemistry between Johansson/pastrnak

I am very luke warm on this plan... but krejci would bring us back a nice return

is johanson at 4-5 mill for around 3 years PLUS a first round pick in this good draft
a better bet
than krejci getting older at his 7+ mill cap hit?

my first gut vote says... lets keep krejci... but its not so ridiculous to me that im completely poopoo on this other idea. Johansson clearly is a fairly decent second liner and if he was a match with pastrnak then maybe its a consideration we must consider

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I didn't love the trade (which is weird because I have always liked the player, drafter him at 18 in my keeper league etc) because he felt like a 1/2 measure to me and a guy who did not show up big in the playoffs for the Caps (he used to play w Backstrom a lot).

He has looked fantastic. IF we can get him at a reasonable price then he makes sense to sign this summer (at the right price).

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I didn't love the trade (which is weird because I have always liked the player, drafter him at 18 in my keeper league etc) because he felt like a 1/2 measure to me and a guy who did not show up big in the playoffs for the Caps (he used to play w Backstrom a lot).

He has looked fantastic. IF we can get him at a reasonable price then he makes sense to sign this summer (at the right price).

agree. i wouldn't overpay him but if he's willing to take less money/term to stay, do it.
also depends on how they sort out the backes situation - freeing up that cap is essential.

Reactions: TwineTickler

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
It's a tough one. Usually middle tier players like Mojo are what gets teams in cap trouble. He's a very nice complimentary piece, but Sweeney needs to be cutthroat with non-core guys. Unless Backes retires or goes somewhere else with no salary retained, Mojo is probably one and done in Boston.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
It's a tough one. Usually middle tier players like Mojo are what gets teams in cap trouble. He's a very nice complimentary piece, but Sweeney needs to be cutthroat with non-core guys. Unless Backes retires or goes somewhere else with no salary retained, Mojo is probably one and done in Boston.

if they can move backes, i'd be ok with jojo for $4M assuming the term isn't more than 3-4 years.
but sweeney also showed that they want to give kids a chance at some spots, which is also fine.
let the bjorks and studnickas and senyshyns etc show if they are ready. if not, that's what trades
are for. i'm admittedly a huge bjork guy and think he's a long term piece here but he's been off
the ice a lot the last 2 years.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

Yep - Hes the quintessential "middle 6 late 20s" guy that a team with crappy depth will overpay for. I would certainly see what he's looking for, then stick with the kids (and Backes presumably).

Marchand Bergy Pasta
Debrusk Krejci XXX
Heinen Coyle Backes
Nordstrom Kuraly Acciari
Wagner

You'd hope players like Kuhlman, Bjork, Chelarik, Frederic, JFK, Studnicka could man that spot.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Big fan of JoJo so far this postseason.

Smooth zone entries with the puck, slicks passing and just a shifty guy. Really smart offensive player, similar to Krejci in style imo.

I have no expectations of being able to retain him unless we move Backes however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad