Former Bruins Marcus Johansson - Sabres sign forward Marcus Johansson to two-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Absolutely. If you can rid yourself of Backes then you absolutely sign jojo.

Need that cap space for other things too, though.

I'd like to see them be very choosey about which guys you sign to contracts that run well into a guy's 30s.

I don't think Johansson is that type of guy given the players they have coming up. Their cap situation doesn't accommodate a nice to have player who will likely be underperforming his contract in the last segment as he degrades with age.

You do those types of contracts for star players only, for the most part.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
if they can move backes, i'd be ok with jojo for $4M assuming the term isn't more than 3-4 years.
but sweeney also showed that they want to give kids a chance at some spots, which is also fine.
let the bjorks and studnickas and senyshyns etc show if they are ready. if not, that's what trades
are for. i'm admittedly a huge bjork guy and think he's a long term piece here but he's been off
the ice a lot the last 2 years.

I think that Johansson is purely a hired gun, and I think that Senyshyn, Bjork and, possibly, Studnicka are on the Boston Bruins next season. There won't be room.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That concussion history will give Sweeney pause before he invests capital and term in this guy. Enjoy him in the playoffs.

and if I recall correctly, this season has some nice UFA players. His back hand passes are harder than my hardest slap shot and far more accurate

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
if they can move backes, i'd be ok with jojo for $4M assuming the term isn't more than 3-4 years.
but sweeney also showed that they want to give kids a chance at some spots, which is also fine.
let the bjorks and studnickas and senyshyns etc show if they are ready. if not, that's what trades
are for. i'm admittedly a huge bjork guy and think he's a long term piece here but he's been off
the ice a lot the last 2 years.
I agree but I think this is a pass because I believe he will get more than $4M per and possibly more term. Rather spend the money on The young Bruins like McAvoy and Carlo.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
As long as they can move Backes, and maybe Krug, I'd really like them to re-sign him; or at least weigh his value/cap against Heinen for that third line left wing spot. Opens up a trade situation with RFA Heinen to bring back a true right winger (maybe Virtanen?)

Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Debrusk-Krejci-Virtanen
Johansson-Coyle-Kuhlman/Studnicka
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I agree but I think this is a pass because I believe he will get more than $4M per and possibly more term. Rather spend the money on The young Bruins like McAvoy and Carlo.
Agree completely - he's a fine complimentary player, a real skilled 3rd liner - not the kind of player this roster can afford to spend significant money on.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Johansson was brought in for a Cup run. No way they give this guy the kind of money and term he will be offered by other teams after this season. He's doing what he was brought here to do, and in the process upping his value for his next contract. Good for him and good for the Bs. Hopefully the Bs can fill his spot from within the organization next season and spend money on a good 2RW. Thank goodness they dodged a bullet by not doing something ridiculous with Nash on a multi-year deal. Definitely don't need to get stupid with Johansson. Enjoy what he brings this playoffs, thank him, move on.

Reactions: Estlin

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Only problem i see with signing Johansson is some other team is going to give him top 6 money.

maybe

but it will be a team that could be desperate like the Canucks

If Mojo wants to play to a championship calibre team, I think he would give the Bruins a discount

GD won't like this idea

but I would even consider trading Heinen ... in order to keep Mojo

Backes would need to go either way. Killer would have to go. JMoore likely gone

Need money to resign McAvoy, Carlo, Debrusk, Mojo .... and right around the corner would need to resign Coyle, Grz and Clifton.... still not certain about Krug, but he is having a solid playoffs

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t want them to overpay for Mojo like they did for Kelly and Peverley. Give the kids a chance for one of them to grow into that 3rd line winger position next year. If the team looks like a Cup contender and they need an upgrade at wing on the 2nd or 3rd line, trade for another pending UFA Mojo type.

I think this is better than getting stuck with overpaid, aging 3rd liners as the young players are leaving their ELCs. Then we end up having to trade a Boychuk again for $ reasons in the middle of a Cup-contending window.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
he seems a bit like a soft 40-45 point guy who is adequate defensively for a second/third line role. he will soon be 30 and these type of guys never age well

if he was looking to sign a 3 year deal for around 12 million and we were moving backes/or krejci then I wouldnt see the harm in bringing him back.

but honestly I see a team like Edmonton throwing some insane 5ish mill deal at a guy like this and I dont see anything in johanssons history to indicate he would take a home town discount or care much about playing on a winner or a loser.

im glad hes having a decent playoff for us

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
He has been fantastic, but I don’t think he will be resigned.

I already have Studnicka pencilled into the line up, I think he’s that good. I could see Steen jumping right in as well.

JFK, Bjork, Kuhlman, Senyshyn, Frederic and maybe even Lauko will be battling hard for spots in camp as well.

I just don’t think there will be room and we will need that cap space long term. I think if we bring in another forward it will be a star like Hall or Panarin where you make room for them.

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
he seems a bit like a soft 40-45 point guy who is adequate defensively for a second/third line role. he will soon be 30 and these type of guys never age well

if he was looking to sign a 3 year deal for around 12 million and we were moving backes/or krejci then I wouldnt see the harm in bringing him back.

but honestly I see a team like Edmonton throwing some insane 5ish mill deal at a guy like this and I dont see anything in johanssons history to indicate he would take a home town discount or care much about playing on a winner or a loser.

im glad hes having a decent playoff for us

Not seeing the correlation between trading Krejci and re-signing Johansson.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Not seeing the correlation between trading Krejci and re-signing Johansson.

being able to afford players under the cap is tricky... and keeping one guy who is an offensively minded center when trading another

I suppose you didnt see Johansson used as a center since he arrived and its a bit hard to remember he grew up a center, was drafted as a center, and played center throughout a lot of his career.

is it a move that I necessarily would be very excited about? keeping coyle/Johansson around to have depth at center while kids like karlsson/federic/studnicka/kuhlman are given the opportunity to try to take the the second/third line center spots?

not really... but is it a move that a pro team might be considering? drafting a bunch of talented young centers? trying to replace more expensive aging vets with these kids? keeping a plan B around just in case the process hits a bumpy road???

well... I hope at the very least you can see the correlation im hinting at

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’ve been a big supporter of Johansson since his arrival (he was great prior to injury and has gotten back to form now). Seemed like much of the board had lost patience until recently when he started contributing again. Now people are wanting to dump players and sign him for varying amounts.

I’m going to remain a guy that continues to like his role and presence on this team...but is hesitant to re-sign him given most likely the kind of offers he is going to be getting.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
being able to afford players under the cap is tricky... and keeping one guy who is an offensively minded center when trading another

I suppose you didnt see Johansson used as a center since he arrived and its a bit hard to remember he grew up a center, was drafted as a center, and played center throughout a lot of his career.

is it a move that I necessarily would be very excited about? keeping coyle/Johansson around to have depth at center while kids like karlsson/federic/studnicka/kuhlman are given the opportunity to try to take the the second/third line center spots?

not really... but is it a move that a pro team might be considering? drafting a bunch of talented young centers? trying to replace more expensive aging vets with these kids? keeping a plan B around just in case the process hits a bumpy road???

well... I hope at the very least you can see the correlation im hinting at

I don’t.

Getting rid of Krejci to keep Johansson would be a terrible move.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I don’t.

Getting rid of Krejci to keep Johansson would be a terrible move.

if thats the motive absolutely I agree

but the motive might be to break the kid centers into the lineup in a 'safe' manner with a temperarily backup plan if the kids dont smoothly intergrate

im still not going to claim I support this idea... just that I can see how a capoligist might look at the return that could be got for krejci {a first round pick?} and might look at the cap savings between krejci and Johansson {2-3 mill a year?} and might make a move in this direction.

im sure it wont happen if the team has soured on the kids being real players. Johansson himself isnt a viable option to be penciled into the second line center spot as a competitive option except in case of emergency

and I doubt coyle is either

so we would have to feel we are willing to gamble on one of the kids being seasoned enough to get a chance at the job before we were trading off krejci

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If you tell me right now Marcus Johansson comes into town next year with an opponent and first ice cleaning break they show a little montage of him in a Bruins uniform hoisting the Cup to a standing ovation I’ll sign up right now

That said he does seem to go very well with Coyle- that’s a heck of a third line foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad