Player Discussion Marcus Hogberg (G)

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
He seems athletic for his size and shows flashes of competency but appears to lack a good goalie coach.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Right, PD should have been saying... "this fragile minded kid is amazing in net but doubtful he will make it in the NHL!"

or how about, “we think Marcus has the ability to be a starting goalie in this league and we are excited to work with him in his development.”

why does it have to be a star or a fragile minded kid? Everything doesn’t need a hyperbolic superlative attached to it.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
or how about, “we think Marcus has the ability to be a starting goalie in this league and we are excited to work with him in his development.”

why does it have to be a star or a fragile minded kid? Everything doesn’t need a hyperbolic superlative attached to it.

I think that because it is a business and everything is about marketing players and also pumping their egos.

I would think these young players have grown up with exaggerated praise, 24/7. I doubt that should end when you get into the NHL/AHL - it is never a bad thing IMO. My expectations for all prospects and players are maybe less than some others here. If PD says something, I know it's not a guarantee... it's him trying fire up a player... and to sell more jerseys for EM. ;)

Reactions: Wondercarrot

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
GARRIOCH: Marcus Hogberg makes his exit from the Senators official by signing with Swedish club | Ottawa Sun

Hogberg said he was proud of what he was able to accomplish by making it to the NHL but felt it was time to move home. He would have had a difficult time finding an NHL job because his numbers just haven’t been very good.

“I have learned a lot about myself and how it works over there,” Hogberg told the club’s website after signing. “Getting to start in the (ECHL) and work my way up to the NHL was a very fun journey to be a part of.

“It’s completely different life over there, you come over and do not get everything served. You have to look for housing, a car and take responsibility for your own development, on the ice as well.”

The reality is Hogberg got bypassed by other goalies in the organization after struggling for the better part of the last two seasons and becoming unreliable to make the saves the club needed. He suited up for 42 games in his NHL career with the Senators and finished with a .894 save-percentage plus 3.39 goals-against average and a 9-17-9 record.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Wasn't long ago Dorion was talking up Hogberg to be a star goalie in the NHL.. fail.

Do you have an actual quote or was it just Dorion saying something nice about a player and you making the assumption that the player was destined for greatness because he was playing in our system?

I never got the impression that the club was ever high on Hogberg to be honest. Following a season where fans sang his praises, the team traded for Matt Murray and signed Joey Daccord to a three year deal, with year 3 being a one-way deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Do you have an actual quote or was it just Dorion saying something nice about a player and you making the assumption that the player was destined for greatness because he was playing in our system?

It was from 2019 and he made a comment about how fans need to drive to belleville to check out Hogberg stop some pucks because he's going to be an exciting nhl goalie.. obviously not word for word because I cant find the quote now.

Either way I'm sure that won't satisfy you because you more or less commented on my post to be a smart *** anyways.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It was from 2019 and he made a comment about how fans need to drive to belleville to check out Hogberg stop some pucks because he's going to be an exciting nhl goalie.. obviously not word for word because I cant find the quote now.

Either way I'm sure that won't satisfy you because you more or less commented on my post to be a smart *** anyways.

Did you not also post to be a smart ass. We've already gone from 'star' to 'exciting nhl goalie'

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He wasn't very good to start the year last season as he seemed out of synch after a long period of inaction (weirdly his angles seemed off) but he has talent so don't be surprised if he eventually comes back to the NHL and do well. It hasn't been easy to put decent numbers on this team for 5 years now, particularly since Dorion legendary 2020-21 offseason

I know it'll sound very contrarian but I think we have had pretty good goaltending the last few years. It's hard to imagine but with worse goaltending, it would have been way worse, if that's even possible. I think we even have had excellent goaltending this season and we're rocking a 0.897 SV% :laugh:

Reactions: Agent Zub

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Thrown into the fire behind a very suspect defense,cant say we shouldnt be surprised....Next season Ottawa needs to be the most aggressive in aquiring actual NHL talent ,to help boost the great group of kids we have....But as its been for the last decade Iam not holding my breath

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Thrown into the fire behind a very suspect defense,cant say we shouldnt be surprised....Next season Ottawa needs to be the most aggressive in aquiring actual NHL talent ,to help boost the great group of kids we have....But as its been for the last decade Iam not holding my breath

Gigantic difference with when Muray was the GM (2007-08 to 2015-16), is that we were able to keep good players/vets for a while. Not only we didn't trade everyone at the same time but we also brought a lot of good veterans by trade/UFA compared to Dorion (Connor Brown and? Nick Holden?)

Dean McAmmond
Jarkko Ruutu
Filip Kuba
Alexei Kovalev
Matt Carkner
Sergei Gonchar
Craig Anderson
Ben Bishop
Kyle Turris (was young but quickly became a great vet)
Clarke MacArthur
David Legwand
Bobby Ryan
Marc Methot
Shean Donovan
Cory Stillman
Mike Comrie
Milan Michalek (was young but quickly became a great vet)
Matt Cullen
Andy Sutton
Zenon Konopka (elite on faceoffs)
Ales Hemsky
Dion Phaneuf

The difference too is that Murray started his reign with a one line team (and soon-to-be disgruntled star) and a very weak prospect pool. The first thing he did was to revamp the whole scouting department. Overall, thanks to the Karlsson trade, Dorion has done good when selling the team's assets (who were Murray picks before) and it seems like they did great at the draft during the rebuild (until 2021 at least) but where he legendary failed so far is bringing established talent to guide/support the kids. I seriously hope we are not ruining any of them but losing a lot sure isn't a good habit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Agent Zub

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

One player, maybe two. As folks have shown, we are two off seasons from our cap space being mostly used up.

We need to be smart.

Sign the Toffoli types, stay away from the star players at the top of the UFA list.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think that because it is a business and everything is about marketing players and also pumping their egos.

I would think these young players have grown up with exaggerated praise, 24/7. I doubt that should end when you get into the NHL/AHL - it is never a bad thing IMO. My expectations for all prospects and players are maybe less than some others here. If PD says something, I know it's not a guarantee... it's him trying fire up a player... and to sell more jerseys for EM. ;)
Good point, but it would it be even better if they (the PD/EM combo) could deliver on some of those promises. Wouldn't that be a better way to develop credibility than marketing hype?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad