Player Discussion Marcus Hogberg (G)

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He's still young, but his performance this year has been concerning.

He's young but the same problems that existed in his game when he was 23, exist today. He's a bit better than he's shown to this point and a shortened training camp impacts goaltenders more than anyone else but there's always been a lot of holes in his game.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
It's time Daccord, or even Gus, got a shot at a game.

The season is essentially lost already, let's let these guys get some seasoning.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
It seems more clear now why they brought in Murray. Assuming PD was expecting the Murray of the past few games all along.

At least now we can cheer for wins without worrying about picking 14th instead of top 5

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Young? He's the same age as Matt Murray.

I understand that goalies tend to develop later than most, but at a certain point, you have to move on.

We scouted him, drafted him, developed him, and as it turns out he's not quite as good as we'd hoped he could be. I also don't really see many of those "flashes of brilliance" that a lot of late bloomer goaltenders show either (like Lehner).

It happens, now it's time to give someone else a shot.

Reactions: Yak

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
If he still sucks come the end of the season, then yes, he's done because Daccord/Gus are ready to be backups.
But, as of now, it's too early to say he's done.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Well, that's how I ranked our goalies in October

- Matt Murray
- Joey Daccord
- Mads Sogaard
- Kevin Mandolese
- Filip Gustavsson
- Marcus Hogberg

Kinda surprised I didn't have Hog above Gustavsson but maybe that's because I would need to see Gus play in the NHL Look at Lankinen for example, earned a pedigree in Europe, came to NA and didn't set the world on fire in the AHL but looked very good so far with the Hawks. Goalies are very hard to predict.

Also said this in November :

Marcus Hogberg and Christian Jaros are not really veterans but hard to see them becoming long term pieces, so I have them as stop gaps until they prove otherwise.

Thought Hogberg could at least be a stop gap... Can he rebound?
What s your thought about Cedrick Andree. Do you think he have chance to make the ahl roster this year for us

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Young? He's the same age as Matt Murray.

I understand that goalies tend to develop later than most, but at a certain point, you have to move on.

And it's not like we don't have other goalies waiting in the wings.

We should give daccord a shot soon.
We should give Gustavsson a shot soon too.
After that we have mandolese and soogard who will need a look in a couple years if they're developing.

We don't need to live or die on hogberg. We have lots of options behind him just waiting for their chance.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Our goaltending coach needs to work with him to improve his play, particularly his crease positioning. He was out of position on one of those goals. Slow to react on another. Totally screened and therefore not at fault for another.

Even the one that was screened was weak. It went right through him. A solid goalie covers the angles and screened shots just hit them. They don't have a bunch of holes everywhere.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Hogberg looked pretty good last year. Not sure what's happening with him this year. Send him to Belleville for a bit to work with a goalie coach.

He lost his dad right before the pandemic resulted in him not playing for a year. Unfortunately just seems like a case of tough circumstances off the ice leading to shattered confidence on it.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
He lost his dad right before the pandemic resulted in him not playing for a year. Unfortunately just seems like a case of tough circumstances off the ice leading to shattered confidence on it.
Did not know that. Thanks for the info.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What s your thought about Cedrick Andree. Do you think he have chance to make the ahl roster this year for us

It's already very hard at 6'5 so I wish him good luck at 5'10. I don't watch a lot of OHL so not super familiar with him but based on what I have seen, if he was 6'3, he would probably be a legit drafted NHL prospect

Saros has played 127 NHL Games so far but it's very rare these days for goalies under 6'2 to have any kind of success in the NHL. I'm guessing not a lot of these get even drafted.

He might be able to do ok in the AHL, but don't think he will be needed before an injury anyway. Don't consider him a prospect

Even the one that was screened was weak. It went right through him. A solid goalie covers the angles and screened shots just hit them. They don't have a bunch of holes everywhere.

Actually he was initially in position to make the save but since he couldn't see the puck, he moved a bit to his left which allowed opened space on his right

Yes you have to fight to see the puck but the priority is to cover as much space as possible. Play the angles at all times. If you're not doing that, and without having played in the NHL/AHL, I'm pretty sure it's a death sentence in the NHL. Impossible to always rely on reflexes, way too many quality shots and fast execution plays. Not everybody is superhuman like Hasek

Reactions: Crosside

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014

Andree is a great goalie at the OHL level, but can't see him making the jump to the pros. He's only about 5'9, and relies a ton on athleticism which works at the OHL level, but I have my doubts when the shots and passes are that much harder and quicker. Could see him making a living in Europe though eventually

Reactions: Crosside

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I thought the long shot from the blueline was to the far post, not through him, and he could not see the shot due to being screened by quite a few players. The one that went between his legs was bad!

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It's already very hard at 6'5 so I wish him good luck at 5'10. I don't watch a lot of OHL so not super familiar with him but based on what I have seen, if he was 6'3, he would probably be a legit drafted NHL prospect

Saros has played 127 NHL Games so far but it's very rare these days for goalies under 6'2 to have any kind of success in the NHL. I'm guessing not a lot of these get even drafted.

He might be able to do ok in the AHL, but don't think he will be needed before an injury anyway. Don't consider him a prospect

Actually he was initially in position to make the save but since he couldn't see the puck, he moved a bit to his left which allowed opened space on his right

Yes you have to fight to see the puck but the priority is to cover as much space as possible. Play the angles at all times. If you're not doing that, and without having played in the NHL/AHL, I'm pretty sure it's a death sentence in the NHL. Impossible to always rely on reflexes, way too many quality shots and fast execution plays. Not everybody is superhuman like Hasek

Exactly. When there's a bunch of traffic, the last thing a goalie should do is crouch down real low and prioritize finding the puck while opening up huge holes everywhere. Just keep facing the direction of the where the puck roughly is and try to be big in net. You almost have to fight your natural desire to locate the puck. It will pop back into view within a second or two and you'll already be in position and might have to make a slight degree change but no biggy. Short goalies should stay standing while tall goalies can do a butterfly while keeping shoulders tall. (Bishop did this a lot at a 6'7 Frame) Any puck you can't see just hits you.

Reactions: Xspyrit

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
He's young but the same problems that existed in his game when he was 23, exist today. He's a bit better than he's shown to this point and a shortened training camp impacts goaltenders more than anyone else but there's always been a lot of holes in his game.

Doesn't help the fact that he's played for essentially one of the worst defensive teams of all time during his time here. He will likely be moved for scraps on have a decent career elsewhere like most players who leave Ottawa.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
His dad passed away during the off-season. I’d cut him some slack, the season is a right off anyways.
I agree, I think that has completely been forgotten, and should be emphasized to everyone here. His head is somewhere else, and we all know he is a pro. But he is a human being

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Credit where credit is due, he gave us a chance to win and that's all you can ask of your goalie.

Has that Lehner element in him where he might let in a 1-2 questionable ones but throws a wall when you need it the most.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
It was a nice win but there was something about his mechanics with under 5 minutes left that last night that gave me a heart attack. Even to the untrained eye there's something off there.

Reactions: Icelevel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad