Value of: Marcus Foligno

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would do a 2nd for Foligno pretty easily. I don't anticipate being competitive next season, but even if we are, Foligno isn't going to be the difference between missing/1st round exit and winning a couple rounds. That 2nd may be nothing in the long run, or it might be the next good middle six player taken in the 2nd round. I would take that risk at the expense of a year of Foligno. Easily.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
body thing...i don't mean a sudden equipment allergy or anything that would technically prevent him from skating, but the accumulation of injuries and the fear that acquiring more will lead to long term suffering where the reward of playing a reduced role wasn't worth it. like "i don't feel like i'm contributing like i should, and my back is starting to feel like i'm a dozen chrosschecks from another surgery". rather than hit that point and go out a rich crippled guy he might decide to leave with what health he has if he's not getting as much out of playing as he used to.

He can do all that and still do LTIR instead of retiring.

He's still owed $17 million after this year. $14 million coming in the next 2 years. Even though he's made bunch already, that's tough to walk away from if you don't have to.

Again, is your solution to this possible issue to staple him, undeservedly, to the top line even if it becomes a detriment to the team?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
we could probably get a second for him next year.

So why wait? Just pushes back the time it will take for that asset to contribute. We need to move a LW or two anyway. If we're selling guys at the deadline, is the last month of this season and the first five months of next season worth hanging on to Foligno for?

And if he regresses back to how he's been every year besides this one, can we really still get that 2nd for him?

Sell high on guys you don't need or won't be a part of the future.

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
I would do a 2nd for Foligno pretty easily. I don't anticipate being competitive next season, but even if we are, Foligno isn't going to be the difference between missing/1st round exit and winning a couple rounds. That 2nd may be nothing in the long run, or it might be the next good middle six player taken in the 2nd round. I would take that risk at the expense of a year of Foligno. Easily.

I am.mot taking 2nd for Foligno! Wild want to win next year and he also protects wild good players especially young ones like fiala, Spurgeon, Kaprizov, or even old ones like parise eyc..

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I am.mot taking 2nd for Foligno! Wild want to win next year and he also protects wild good players especially young ones like fiala, Spurgeon, Kaprizov, or even old ones like parise eyc..

If I have ever given the impression that I care about or value your opinion on player value and trades, I apologize.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
He can do all that and still do LTIR instead of retiring.

He's still owed $17 million after this year. $14 million coming in the next 2 years. Even though he's made bunch already, that's tough to walk away from if you don't have to.

Again, is your solution to this possible issue to staple him, undeservedly, to the top line even if it becomes a detriment to the team?

best case scenario is a wink wink equipment allergy; as far as i know you can't claim LTIR without having a doctors note. my solution is "we lie in the bed Craig made".
Depends on how the team as a whole is doing and how they're deploying. Is he going to do well deploying in the defensive zone vs top lines 60% of the time when he's slowed enough to kick off the top lines?

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
A 2nd is just something that you use and hope that you get a player in 4 or 5 years that turns out to be....Foligno. I'm all for acquiring draft picks, but at some point you have to ask yourself what you are gaining.

Exactly. I don’t think people realize just how low the success rate is for picks outside of the first 20 or so.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Exactly. I don’t think people realize just how low the success rate is for picks outside of the first 20 or so.

Just want to point out that Wayne Simmonds, Derek Stepan, Jason Zucker, Brandon Saad, William Karlsson, Nikita Kucherov, Tyler Bertuzzi, Christian Dvorak, Sebastian Aho and Alex DeBrincat were all second rounders. That doesn't even include any goalies or defenseman, nor any forwards (and there were a lot of them) that became better players than Foligno.

The idea that we shouldn't value 2nd rounders for a guy like Foligno because all you do is hope they become as good as Foligno is ridiculous. Foligno's a bottom six guy at best, and was a fourth liner until this season. If we get offered a 2nd for Foligno, especially a pick in the top half of the 2nd round, we take that and run. Fast.

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
Just want to point out that Wayne Simmonds, Derek Stepan, Jason Zucker, Brandon Saad, William Karlsson, Nikita Kucherov, Tyler Bertuzzi, Christian Dvorak, Sebastian Aho and Alex DeBrincat were all second rounders. That doesn't even include any goalies or defenseman, nor any forwards (and there were a lot of them) that became better players than Foligno.

The idea that we shouldn't value 2nd rounders for a guy like Foligno because all you do is hope they become as good as Foligno is ridiculous. Foligno's a bottom six guy at best, and was a fourth liner until this season. If we get offered a 2nd for Foligno, especially a pick in the top half of the 2nd round, we take that and run. Fast.

Aren't wild 2point out of playoff? If I were your GM, I would stand pat & make trade at draft

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Why the hell would you ever trade Foligno? He'd get maybe a 2nd or 3rd in a trade and he's far more valuable to the team than that.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
List of 2nd rounders since 2016 I would trade Foligno for:

Tyler Benson
Jordan Kyrou
Libor Hajek
Alex DeBrincat
Jonathan Dahlen
Samuel Girard
Carter Hart
Ryan Lindgren
Kale Clague
Filip Hronek
Dillon Dube
Dylan Gambrell

Conor Timmins
Nicolas Hague
Aleksi Heponiemi
Eetu Luostarinen
Alex Formenton
Alexander Volkov
Maxime Comtois
Jack Studnicka
Josh Brook
Joni Ikonen

Jonatan Berggren
Jesse Ylonen
Alexander Romanov
Bode Wilde
Jack Drury
Ruslan Iskhakov
Scott Perunovich
Kirill Marchenko
Akil Thomas
Calen Addison
Kevin Bahl
Filip Hallander
Ivan Morozov

Shane Pinto
Arthur Kaliyev
Bobby Brink
Raphael Lavoie
Nils Hodlander
Kaedan Korczak
Vladislav Firstov (luckily I don't have to)
Jamieson Rees
Samuel Fagemo
Nick Robertson
Robert Mastrosimone
Brett Leason
Nikita Alexandrov

And that's just like, the bare minimum, most of those teams wouldn't consider trading a lot of those guys for Foligno.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
chance a 2nd rounder plays more than 50 NHL games is like 40%? going off memory. then it drops to 30% if they play 100 games etc etc.

not going to convince me that second round pick of ours is going to make an impact. it'll make draft day more exciting, but that's about it.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle

Good job naming 2nd round hits. I would get arthritis typing the names of all of the 2nd round busts.

The *point* is that you hope a 2nd round pick turns into a Foligno. You are at the Elks Club and you are taking your actual $20 winning pull tab up to the lady to buy 20 more pull tabs. Statistically, it’s not a good value play.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
chance a 2nd rounder plays more than 50 NHL games is like 40%? going off memory. then it drops to 30% if they play 100 games etc etc.

not going to convince me that second round pick of ours is going to make an impact. it'll make draft day more exciting, but that's about it.

The difference between a mid 1 and a mid 2 is pretty significant. After that, the slope flattens; meaning the difference between a 2nd and a 3rd isn’t as great. Likewise a 3rd and a 4th.

https://www.neutralzone.net/mens/2018/02/15/nhl-draft-analytics-study-nhl-central-scouting/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad