Value of: Marcus Foligno

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
How much to you think the Wild get could for him? He would be good for a playoff team he has god defensive underlying numbers good leader and he his producing decently for the role he plays

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
How much to you think the Wild get could for him? He would be good for a playoff team he has god defensive underlying numbers good leader and he his producing decently for the role he plays

Wild aren't trading him at least this season and wild shouldnt move him. Guerin has refused to move him short of 1st round pick

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
More than 'decently'. Pacing 17 goals and 38 points splitting time between the 3rd and 4th lines, obviously getting no PP time.

Bidding starts at a 2nd rounder.

Edit: additional info - has 1 more year (after this one) at $2.875M on his deal.

Last edited:

Hamurai

Jun 19, 2019
Pittsburgh
I’d like him on the Pens in our bottom 6 for a playoff run, but wouldn’t pay a 2nd or more for him right now. Seems the market is shifting to having a lot of depth guys available at the deadline.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
A year ago I would've said take what you can get, but I don't see a point in moving him for less than a 2nd at this point.

It does sort of depend on whether or not Guerin really intends to trade Zucker at some point, but of our current LW's Foligno's the one I'd prefer to have toiling away on the 3rd and 4th lines. Greenway's capable, but it seems like kind of a waste to relegate him to that at 22.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Chicago, or Montreal's 2nd, Jordan Weal and wildcard prospects Joni Ikonen for Foligno.

I'm a fan and willing to overpay.

Jordan Weal is just a player moving out. Cheap, might be able to be traded for a 6th. Foligno can take his place on the powerplay.

That's right,a player goes from healthy scratch 5 games in a row to top line pp.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
More than 'decently'. Pacing 17 goals and 38 points splitting time between the 3rd and 4th lines, obviously getting no PP time.

Bidding starts at a 2nd rounder.

Edit: additional info - has 1 more year (after this one) at $2.875M on his deal.

A year ago I would've said take what you can get, but I don't see a point in moving him for less than a 2nd at this point.

It does sort of depend on whether or not Guerin really intends to trade Zucker at some point, but of our current LW's Foligno's the one I'd prefer to have toiling away on the 3rd and 4th lines. Greenway's capable, but it seems like kind of a waste to relegate him to that at 22.

Capfriendly has him listed as both LW and RW, which side does he reside and play best on?
Who's he played with the most this year?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Capfriendly has him listed as both LW and RW, which side does he reside and play best on?
Who's he played with the most this year?
He's only played on the left in Minnesota, barring the odd game at RW due to injuries.

He spent most of the first half of the season on the 4th line with Ryan Hartman and whoever the centre du jour was. This was usually Victor Rask, and Rask's semi-astounding rebound in fancy stats is largely due to playing with those two. It was a very good 4th line.

In the last few weeks he's been moved up to play on Eriksson-Ek's line, which has usually been Boudreau's shut-down line, with Kunin or Greenway at RW. Again, a great defensive line that tends to erase the other team's top line.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He's only played on the left in Minnesota, barring the odd game at RW due to injuries.

He spent most of the first half of the season on the 4th line with Ryan Hartman and whoever the centre du jour was. This was usually Victor Rask, and Rask's semi-astounding rebound in fancy stats is largely due to playing with those two. It was a very good 4th line.

In the last few weeks he's been moved up to play on Eriksson-Ek's line, which has usually been Boudreau's shut-down line, with Kunin or Greenway at RW. Again, a great defensive line that tends to erase the other team's top line.

Thank you!
We've spoke before and everytime I think of trades to improve FLA, often circle back to MIN or have you guys in my 3-5 team wishlist.

Foligno would bring some much needed physicality to the team. So a 2nd rounder or prospect comparable to that value?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Thank you!
We've spoke before and everytime I think of trades to improve FLA, often circle back to MIN or have you guys in my 3-5 team wishlist.

Foligno would bring some much needed physicality to the team. So a 2nd rounder or prospect comparable to that value?
Possibly, yeah. The local beat reporter's kind of been banging the "don't trade him" drum recently for a variety of reasons, but there's no reason to consider him off limits. If Guerin did plan to trade him now would probably be the best time to do so, and a 2nd seems fair.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Thank you!

Depending on the prospect, we might prefer the 2nd, but yeah that’s the general idea.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Possibly, yeah. The local beat reporter's kind of been banging the "don't trade him" drum recently for a variety of reasons, but there's no reason to consider him off limits. If Guerin did plan to trade him now would probably be the best time to do so, and a 2nd seems fair.

Depending on the prospect, we might prefer the 2nd, but yeah that’s the general idea.

Thanks again.

Okay, tougher question, first one was a softball, now the fastball.

Anyway FLA can get Brodin without losing Trocheck? Is their a way of heavily future based deal with a UFA cap dump to balance money in/out?

They combine for $7 million.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Thanks again.

Okay, tougher question, first one was a softball, now the fastball.

Anyway FLA can get Brodin without losing Trocheck? Is their a way of heavily future based deal with a UFA cap dump to balance money in/out?

They combine for $7 million.

Depends on the deal, I wouldn’t be opposed, but it would have to be a good deal.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Well, hang on... What’s the futures package @ThePatientPanther?

Depends on the deal, I wouldn’t be opposed, but it would have to be a good deal.

Well it'd probably start with the 2020 1st ++
Is Muzzin not a comparable? 1st + two prospects picked in 2nd round
He was older when traded but more accomplished.
I forget what MIN's needs are outside C's

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't get why the Wild would trade him for a 2nd. Foligno is a really good bottom 6 player who fills a specific role on the team that no one else does as well. Big, tough, consistent, reasonably fast, and hits like a mutha. When he is on the ice, you know it. Any good team needs a player or three like this. Also is well liked, and leader who bridges the gap between the penthouse(Suter, Parise) and the outhouse(Greenway, Ek, Soucy).

A 2nd is just something that you use and hope that you get a player in 4 or 5 years that turns out to be....Foligno. I'm all for acquiring draft picks, but at some point you have to ask yourself what you are gaining.

I'm waiting to see what the Brodin deal is, then Jesus Brodin and I are going to make some digital house calls and bring a little pain to those involved.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Foligno is the kind of veteran we need if we're planning on scrapping the season and starting over with loads of new guys next year (assuming we're trading what we can of our roster players). Worth more than a 2nd will likely ever turn out to be so that certainly isn't going to get it done.

Reactions: SupremeNachos

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't get why the Wild would trade him for a 2nd. Foligno is a really good bottom 6 player who fills a specific role on the team that no one else does as well. Big, tough, consistent, reasonably fast, and hits like a mutha. When he is on the ice, you know it. Any good team needs a player or three like this. Also is well liked, and leader who bridges the gap between the penthouse(Suter, Parise) and the outhouse(Greenway, Ek, Soucy).

A 2nd is just something that you use and hope that you get a player in 4 or 5 years that turns out to be....Foligno. I'm all for acquiring draft picks, but at some point you have to ask yourself what you are gaining.

I'm waiting to see what the Brodin deal is, then Jesus Brodin and I are going to make some digital house calls and bring a little pain to those involved.
Foligno and Brodin are kind of in the same basket: good players that contribute more than shows up on the score sheet, on fair contracts... that only have a year left. The questions for both are:

1.) What will their new contracts look like?
2.) Do we want to be the team that gives it to them?

Foligno at $2.85 has been overpaid until this year. Are we going to want to extend him at $3.5m+ (or whatever) on a contract that kicks in when he's 30? If not, would we rather have the next year and a half of Foligno, or a 2nd round pick?

Ditto on Brodin, though I think there's a much stronger argument for extending him.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
would rather have Foligno for a year and a half than a 2nd. for sure. only way i'd regret that was if we were a second round pick away from trading a few spots up in the first.

Reactions: 57special

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
would rather have Foligno for a year and a half than a 2nd. for sure. only way i'd regret that was if we were a second round pick away from trading a few spots up in the first.
And if I had to guess I'd say that's probably where Guerin lands on this, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad