Player Discussion Marco Scandella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I've quite liked what I've seen so far.

This thread is yet another example of how utterly clueless the majority of posters on this board haven proven themselves to be.

Skating has always been a strength for Scandella yet we have posters calling him an awful skater and slow lol. He is a solid player who is currently overpaid and should be brought back at a more reasonable number if possible.

This is just the same old story of infantile fans crapping on good players because they don't understand the game well enough to properly assess the player's value. They only see the shiny/sparkly things that intrigue the average simpleton.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
This thread is yet another example of how utterly clueless the majority of posters on this board haven proven themselves to be.

Skating has always been a strength for Scandella yet we have posters calling him an awful skater and slow lol. He is a solid player who is currently overpaid and should be brought back at a more reasonable number if possible.

This is just the same old story of infantile fans crapping on good players because they don't understand the game well enough to properly assess the player's value. They only see the shiny/sparkly things that intrigue the average simpleton.
Man, you gotta stop hemming and hawing and tell us how you really feel.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I'm not sure giving him an extension is the best idea. Unless, the plan is to trade Kulak for anything (pick) and replace him by Scandella on a similar deal, maybe 2 years at 2-2,5M$ per.

But honestly, if we go for the seller mode at the deadline and we get a better pick than we gave for him, i do it.

Jul 6, 2016
Scandella is no Bobby Orr for sure, but Petry seems to like playing with him, and he is better since they are together. It cut also few minutes from the overload Chiarot's icetime. That's good enough for me.

Too bad him and Kovalchuk were not acquired BEFORE Christmas instead of after when the team started to slide again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I'm not sure giving him an extension is the best idea. Unless, the plan is to trade Kulak for anything (pick) and replace him by Scandella on a similar deal, maybe 2 years at 2-2,5M$ per.

But honestly, if we go for the seller mode at the deadline and we get a better pick than we gave for him, i do it.

Kulak is fine as a 7th dman.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
I don't like the player. Seems like a good, hard-working, bright kid but I just don't like very small stature Ds if they don't have any outstanding ability.

Marc-André Bergeron had an elite-level one-timer.
Francis Bouillon was truly a physical freak of nature.
Torrey Krug has exceptional offensive abilities.

I don't see Mete having anything like those guys, and he's likely even smaller.
Well he is a better skater than any of them (speed/balance/agility/acceleration/any direction) maybe one of the best all-around skaters in the nhl even, he's just a new age defensive dman with exceptional edges, active stick and (maybe to a fault) safe game, i always felt he was gonna be exactly the type of player he is today, nothing wrong with that imo

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Reminds me of the last 2 28s and that’s not a good thing

I’d almost rather Alzner

And that’s not a good thing either

hopefully Romanov is here next year

paddy

Aug 2, 2005
I hope they don't re-sign him. He's bad and bland in every way possible. His only quality is being better than Rielly and Kulak. Then again, he doesn't have the highs that those guys sometime show. He makes a bunch of mistakes and bad plays, but they are not very noticeable to the average fan because he plays such a bland style.
Let's say that he's like a 0 to -2 on a quality scale, whereas Rielly can be -10 to +5, and Kulak is like -5 to +3.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I hope they don't re-sign him. He's bad and bland in every way possible. His only quality is being better than Rielly and Kulak. Then again, he doesn't have the highs that those guys sometime show. He makes a bunch of mistakes and bad plays, but they are not very noticeable to the average fan because he plays such a bland style.
Let's say that he's like a 0 to -2 on a quality scale, whereas Rielly can be -10 to +5, and Kulak is like -5 to +3.

You calling him bland is exactly what I was referring to when I referenced certain fans only liking the shiny/sparkly things. He is a very good bottom pairing dman.....end of story.

paddy

Aug 2, 2005
You calling him bland is exactly what I was referring to when I referenced certain fans only liking the shiny/sparkly things. He is a very good bottom pairing dman.....end of story.

No, I don't need him to be flashy. He's bland in a bad way, not a good way. He kills tons of plays offensively and makes many little mistakes. You just don't see bad results evident when he does though. I guess if that's what you want from a bottom-pairing D, then sure. I personally don't like the way he plays.

Megaforce

I love having an NDG guy on the team. He sends cheques to the local hockey association to help them buy equipment and stuff. Now I'm not expert but last night I watched him skating after a puck and noticed for the first time that his skating skills were awful. Hope that was just a misapprehension on my part.

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
Was really happy when I heard we signed him but have not been happy with his play. Hope it's just the growing pains of a new team but from what I've seen I find he rarely makes a good pass (mostly dumps it) and has trouble keeping pucks/plays alive. Only a small sample so still hopeful.

Reactions: paddy

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I see him as a guy who just tries to play the safe game, looking at performing the high percentage play that might not create the best chance, but a play that doesn't get the team in trouble in either.

It's basically the stuff you look for from a 3rd pair guy, but the habs are not lacking in that department, so he becomes expendable.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I see him as a guy who just tries to play the safe game, looking at performing the high percentage play that might not create the best chance, but a play that doesn't get the team in trouble in either.

It's basically the stuff you look for from a 3rd pair guy, but the habs are not lacking in that department, so he becomes expendable.

For now I ask myself two questions:
1) is he better than Kulak?
2) if he's moved, who replaces him?

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Scandella was a pretty decent top 4 at some point that how he got that contrat, he might not be right now but he is definitely a NHL Dman... He might have lose a step but still reliable. I would trade but I won’t mind seeing him resign as a UFA...

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016

He doesn't have the offensive potential Mike Reilly has but he is a much more reliable guy. Among the young fellows and AHL defensemen, I think he fits in between, 3rd pair guy. Yes, becomes expandable but if we can move him (his contract) and get something else, it's good.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
He is also not a #7-#8 d-man like some suggest. He belongs in a regular NHL role, preferably on the third pairing.
That's what a lot of us also initially thought of Ben Chiarot. Then, he figured it out. Scandella is an NHL regular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad