Waived: Marchenko on waivers ... clears ... signs with KHL

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Bingo.

Leafs are now at 48 contracts. Brown + vacant spot (Butcher?)

Thats a pretty good possibility, i believe that gets us to 49/50 contracts now

Assuming Liljegren goes to AHL or SHL, it's 47

Sign Brown, 48.

That gives management 2 roster spots open for possible deals (taking back prospects in a JVR deal for example) or simply deadline acquisitions.

I think you guys are right.. Brown will be first in priority, especially since he has gone about his duties this summer
with no wining and/or worry about the contract..

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I wonder what the media statement will consist of? I guarantee that they announce a signing of some type, I doubt they'd hold one just to clear up the Marchenko situation.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I wonder what the media statement will consist of? I guarantee that they announce a signing of some type, I doubt they'd hold one just to clear up the Marchenko situation.

Is the media statement from his agent or the Leafs? I think it was the agent who mentioned a media statement.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

I honestly expect it will just be a press release saying that the Leafs and Marchenko have agreed to a mutual termination of his contract so that he can pursue an opportunity in the KHL.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Is the media statement from his agent or the Leafs? I think it was the agent who mentioned a media statement.

Oh. Good point. So likely just a statement from Marchenko and his camp about him signing in the KHL. And nothing from the Leafs at all.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario

I didn't even realize that the original tweet was from Marchenkos agent, probably just the agent making a statement then.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
That means Gauthier must be ahead of schedule. I betting that this injury (and the way it happened) has matured Gauthier greatly. He was always a great quiet kid in a man's body.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Dermott and the others will be taking on incumbents Morgan Rielly, his projected partner Ron Hainsey, Nikita Zaitsev, Jake Gardiner, Connor Carrick and Swedish rookies Calle Rosen and Andreas Borgman. This year’s top pick, Timothy Liljegren, showed promise at the world junior summer showcase in Plymouth, Mich., too.
No mention of marincin!!
Oversight or foreshadowing?

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
No mention of marincin!!
Oversight or foreshadowing?

i would rather take my chances with one of borgman, rosen, or dermott on the bottom pairing then with marincin. he is what he is - a journeyman 6-7 defenseman. we need better now for the team. at least borgman, rosen, and dermott have upside that is unknown still.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
i would rather take my chances with one of borgman, rosen, or dermott on the bottom pairing then with marincin. he is what he is - a journeyman 6-7 defenseman. we need better now for the team. at least borgman, rosen, and dermott have upside that is unknown still.
Marincin is getting close to being what he will be. Perhaps another summer with our development team can help him turn the corner? I'm not holding my breath but I'm not quite ready to consign him to the 1st circle of hell just yet.
Kiss of death. This can only mean Marincin is getting the spot.
Knowing Lou this could be true :laugh:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
For now

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Marincin Carrick

Marginal improvement over last years D.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Regarding Polak, I think there's a hole in the roster waiting to be filled for a Polak type of defender. Especially with Marchenko also gone. I doubt this is going to be a major acquisition, just a player to swap in and out of the 3rd pairing depending on the match ups against specific teams.

Do you think the Leafs don't care about this type of defender any longer? Well, let's review the type of defenders the team has drafted in the past two drafts.

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
if butcher comes in gards is gone , maybe to the islanders ,,,
I'd like to hear the justification for trading our best NHL defenseman away in favour of a player that would probably be on the Marlies' third pairing.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I think the Leafs agenda is like this.
Leafs sign Brown.....it's already been worked out but the Leafs had to clear roster spots and Marchenko is the first to go.
When the "medicals" happen in the first week of September.....99% change that Lupul fails. Then Lupul is traded to Arizona for cap reasons...but Arizona needs assurance he will never be deemed "fit". Insurance pay the contract.
And with Horton's guaranteed LTIR, Leafs will cap room in mid September for the signing of a one year deal for someone like Fransson.

So the Leafs defence is Gardiner, Reilly, Zaitsev, Hainsey, Carrick, Marincin, Franson. Leafs still have cap flexibility to demote Marincin, Fransson or even Carrick and start Dermot or another player with a two way contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad