Waived: Marchenko on waivers ... clears ... signs with KHL

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Won the Hobey Baker. Defenseman, IIRC right handed. Colorado draft pick playing for Denver. From what I've read(admittedly a lot from Avs fans after he said he was going UFA) he might not really be any more than a fringe guy in the long run, small and not the best at defense. Worth a free shot I guess, but not someone I'd get hyped about, he may work out, he may not.

More likely the Leafs sign Toninato IMO. He was not the Hobey Baker winner, but I think he will be a better pro than Butcher and more importantly:

Leafs Center Needs (regardless of type, but defensive especially) >>> Leafs undersized LHD with 'meh' skills needs.

His offensive numbers could explode too. If you have seen him in the rookie camps and scrimmages, he has a shot and knows how to use it. Guy scores like crazy, just not many assists to go with it. Good thing is that a good chunk of our wing prospects are the exact opposite.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I want to believe this is a sign that they really like Rosen/Liljegren/borgman/dermott right away, though it may just be a precursor to signing polak or franson.

Could also mean Marincin is a good enough switch defenseman to make Marchenko redundant. Or maybe Marchenko really wanted it and it's not like he was so important that the Leafs wanted to keep him at his cap hit when someone making less than one million could do the same.

Could mean a lot of things. Maybe we see 14 forwards, although that hardly helps the log jam and none of the guys we actually care about (everyone but Fehr) should be sitting in the press box for long periods of time as it is.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
well even with 14 forwards there was a spot for marchenko as the 7th dman at least.

right now the 7 spot is either going to one of the rookies (rosen/borgman/lilje/dermott) or to someone we haven't yet picked up.

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
well even with 14 forwards there was a spot for marchenko as the 7th dman at least.

right now the 7 spot is either going to one of the rookies (rosen/borgman/lilje/dermott) or to someone we haven't yet picked up.

My guess is that Polak will be signed and one of Carrick/Marincin will end up as 7th D and one will be traded.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Lets hope it is for a new fresh face not currently on the Leafs roster.
Franson or Polak to me would fit the bill for a useful bottom pairing D capable of playing on the PP (Franson) and PK (Polak).

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well getting rid of his 1.45 million is a start but we need to do more, I expect to see Fehr, buried or traded, Marincin Buried or traded.

I think we need to give up this idea that JVR is going to be traded for now, no major moves will happen before the season starts they didn't sign Marleau just to turn around and weaken their club by trading JVR for magic beans.

for now we will simply see something done with Fehr and Marincin or other minor players.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Marincin will be kept just because babs loves his PK ability. Especially since with 2 solod pairings he can shelter the hell out of the bottom pairing at even strength.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Marincin will be kept just because babs loves his PK ability. Especially since with 2 solod pairings he can shelter the hell out of the bottom pairing at even strength.

Marincin played 25 games he can't be loved that much

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
that's because Hunwick-Polak were the top PK pairing, so Marincin'z best asset wasn't needed as much. with both of them gone and Hainsey in, they'll need him on the PK unless a) babs finally lets jake kill penalties or b) they add another pk dman.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
that's because Hunwick-Polak were the top PK pairing, so Marincin'z best asset wasn't needed as much. with both of them gone and Hainsey in, they'll need him on the PK unless a) babs finally lets jake kill penalties or b) they add another pk dman.

Polak isn't offically gone yet

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Won the Hobey Baker. Defenseman, IIRC right handed. Colorado draft pick playing for Denver. From what I've read(admittedly a lot from Avs fans after he said he was going UFA) he might not really be any more than a fringe guy in the long run, small and not the best at defense. Worth a free shot I guess, but not someone I'd get hyped about, he may work out, he may not.

He doesn't skate very well either

I wouldn't waste the contract spot on him

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't think we sign Polak. I think Marchenko being gone means it's likely both Rosen and Borgman/Dermott make the team though.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
[NHL2][/NHL2]

well he'z a free agent. he's not ours.

but yeah we might sign him, and that would probably be the end for marincin.

Not necessarily - unless you think Marincin is going to be the #7D. It's more likely than not he's a favourite for that #6 LD slot

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Why would he give up his money for nothing? He's making like 3 mill or something in his last year. Would you give up 3 mill for nothing? Plus the cap hit will still count. Datsyuk's did. 35+ counts no matter the circumstances, unless you go on LTIR in which case it goes by those rules instead.

Marchenko gave up 1.45 mill (if salary was the same as cap hit) to go to Russia to make even more money and play more. That's why he did it.

He's making 1.25 after July 1st in his last year. I think that's part of what made his decision he was pondering for a while so difficult. Deciding if he was good with, these are my last 2 years, I'm going to make 17.5 million dollars from the Leafs to play them. Or I could stay in San Jose on a 2 year deal, possibly make 10 million or less(2x5), and then hope to play after that.

I think a Datsyuk type of situation is most likely. Though Marleau holds all the cards, if he decides yeah I want to keep playing, a go back on the handshake agreement to be traded and retire that I made with the Leafs 2 years ago that's something he could do and they Leafs couldn't stop him.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't see a scenario where Marincin isn't on the roster. Babcock likes to go 8 D, and even though I expect them to go 7 this year to keep the extra forwards from waivers who do you want as your pressbox guy? Not Dermott, not Liljegren, not Borgman, and I don't think you want it to be Rosen either. Marincin is an easy guy to just keep as an extra, even if it's the extra that never plays, someone gets hurt and an AHL callup happens instead of playing Marincin.

Personally if Dermott doesn't make the team I like Marincin as the 3LD. I'd like to give Borgman and Rosen some AHL time to adjust and I don't think Marincin is nearly as bad as so many people seems to believe he is.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Why would he give up his money for nothing? He's making like 3 mill or something in his last year. Would you give up 3 mill for nothing? Plus the cap hit will still count. Datsyuk's did. 35+ counts no matter the circumstances, unless you go on LTIR in which case it goes by those rules instead.

Well, my assumption was that they had a "gentleman's agreement", (AKA, Lou has a member of his family in a safe place and they will be released back to him once his conditions have been met) wherein, he's essentially making 8 mil+ per season for 2 years and they mutually agree to sever the contract. But, doesn't make any sense if the cap hit still applies regardless of his age, which is why I asked.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Not necessarily - unless you think Marincin is going to be the #7D. It's more likely than not he's a favourite for that #6 LD slot

yeah for me i see Marincin being a fixture on a very sheltered 3rd pairing at even strength, but getting one of the top 4 PK slots.

Carrick is likely his partner to start.

And then I think i'd love it if we saw a rotating cast of rookies as injury depth and even pushing for carrick's spot. When i get optimistic I think of one of those rooks coming in hot and maming a push for top 4 duty.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't see a scenario where Marincin isn't on the roster. Babcock likes to go 8 D, and even though I expect them to go 7 this year to keep the extra forwards from waivers who do you want as your pressbox guy? Not Dermott, not Liljegren, not Borgman, and I don't think you want it to be Rosen either. Marincin is an easy guy to just keep as an extra, even if it's the extra that never plays, someone gets hurt and an AHL callup happens instead of playing Marincin.

Personally if Dermott doesn't make the team I like Marincin as the 3LD. I'd like to give Borgman and Rosen some AHL time to adjust and I don't think Marincin is nearly as bad as so many people seems to believe he is.

People don't believe he's bad, they know he's bad because they watch him play and they watch him screw up, and not just screw up but cost the team games by himself, they see him be the reason the team loses

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
personally i'd love to see Jake take that PK time, but remember babs on marincin in April: "He might be our best penalty killer on our team."

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
personally i'd love to see Jake take that PK time, but remember babs on marincin in April: "He might be our best penalty killer on our team."

Babs is so good at providing value on the lower tier guys if ever they are needed for a trade. Time for Marty to step up and solidify his place on the team. I want another monster half season like two years ago but this time adding the other half.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Marincin played 25 games he can't be loved that much

I agree.

He also played 13 out the first 16 games of the season, playing 19:34 a game (usually top 4 minutes - several games played the most minutes of any Leaf - game 3, 9, 10 etc).

But only played 12 out of the final 66 games of the season, playing only 16:20 a game.

Of course, he played in the playoffs, but I think that while Babs looked at him as a possible regular at the start of last season, he soon switched to viewing him solely as someone who can fill in when needed.

I still view the Leafs starting lineup of D as:
Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rosen - Carrick
Marincin

Could be Borgman or Dermott instead of Rosen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad