Waived: Marchenko on waivers ... clears ... signs with KHL

KnightsFan110

Apr 23, 2013

Pretty odd time to waive in the middle of August, maybe making room for Dermott? Not a huge loss but odd timing, usually if it was for a buyout it would be in June/July. Maybe he has a deal to go to the KHL lined up

Discuss

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Dan Milstein-Hockey‏Verified account @HockeyAgent1 17m17 minutes ago
More
Alexey Marchenko of the Toronto Maple Leafs was put on NHL waivers today. Media statement tomorrow at 1pm EST.

Pretty odd time to waive in the middle of August, maybe making room for Dermott?

Discuss

Making room for Brown? Freeing up a contract spot for a trade? Going to the K?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Rosen Borgman Dermott will all compete for a spot and there is also Marincin. Marchenko was in tough

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Probably mutual termination of his contract, so that he can go play in the KHL and Olympics.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
From what I've heard it's a mutual termination so Marchenko can take a deal in the KHL (with CSKA I believe)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bingo.

Leafs are now at 48 contracts. Brown + vacant spot (Butcher?)

Assuming Liljegren goes to AHL or SHL, it's 47

Sign Brown, 48.

That gives management 2 roster spots open for possible deals (taking back prospects in a JVR deal for example) or simply deadline acquisitions.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Sign Brown, 48.

That gives management 2 roster spots open for possible deals (taking back prospects in a JVR deal for example) or simply deadline acquisitions.

im sure someone posted recently (last few months) with a link showing that if liljegren goes to the AHL he counts against the 50, it was a couple of pages long argument ended by the poster.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017

Sign Brown, 48.

If he plays in the A, doesn't it still count against our # of contracts, but the 3 year timer doesn't start until he's played 10 NHL games?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Bingo.

Leafs are now at 48 contracts. Brown + vacant spot (Butcher?)

Not a huge deal if we dont get him but bringing up Butcher is interesting.

Free up a contract spot the day before Butcher can sign with any NHL team does give us something to hang onto and run with for a few hours.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
From what I've heard it's a mutual termination so Marchenko can take a deal in the KHL (with CSKA I believe)

Interesting, I'm noticing more and more teams doing this. What's the point of having contract buyouts that come with cap penalties if you can just mutually terminate a contract with no penalties?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Interesting, I'm noticing more and more teams doing this. What's the point of having contract buyouts that come with cap penalties if you can just mutually terminate a contract with no penalties?

this is the key word. it only really will happen with Russian players because they can get similar or near enough money in the KHL and aren't losing any money because his $1.4M here and similar contract there he gets same/similar money. Most players get bought out because they don't want to agree to lose their money

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Buyout = Player wants to play but team doesn't want them meaning compensation is given to the player in 2/3 of the salary.

Mutual termination = Both sides agree that moving on is for the best, so no compensation is required.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

It gives the player a say.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
im sure someone posted recently (last few months) with a link showing that if liljegren goes to the AHL he counts against the 50, it was a couple of pages long argument ended by the poster.

If he plays in the A, doesn't it still count against our # of contracts, but the 3 year timer doesn't start until he's played 10 NHL games?

Oh maybe. I'm not sure about that.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

It's a mutual decision. It's what the player wants, and the team. Why would NHL team owners, or the NHL Players Association want cap penalties in place when players and teams agree to part ways? It's in absolutely no ones best interest.

The league is controlled by owners and the PA. Both would be unhappy if there were penalties for this.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Marchenko wasn't in the Leafs plans and is just taking up cap, if he does sign in the KHL, or is picked up by another team, he will be right off the books and if not the Marlies can use him.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

what would have to happen here is that the leafs will place marchenko on waivers today, unconditional waivers tomorrow, and terminate his contract on wednesday. At this point, marchenko becomes an unrestricted free agent. In case you’re worried about him heading to another nhl team, though, situations like this almost never end in a player bouncing around the league.

more likely than not, marchenko’s end destination will be cska moscow of the continental hockey league. Marchenko has had his russian rights held by the team since he was in his mid-teens, and was listed on their official roster in early june. As one of the richest teams in the league, cska can afford to give him a real-dollar salary that’s competitive with what the leafs owed him for the rest of the year ($1.5 million usd), especially given that their defence is a little low on globally-known names right now (nikita nesterov has had the best north american career of the bunch).

a move like this is likely best for all involved parties. Marchenko is low enough in toronto’s depth chart at the moment that he likely would have had to play for the toronto marlies this year, something that he likely doesn’t want to do as a 25-year-old who hasn’t played regular ahl minutes in over two years. As well, this gives him olympic flexibility; marchenko has played for the russian national team as recently as the 2016 world cup of hockey.

on toronto’s end of the bargain, a mutual termination would bring them back down to 48 contracts and clear his full $1.45 million cap hit off of the books, giving them about $400,000 more in wiggle room than an ahl assignment would have given them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad