Marchand Lick: The Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Can't tell from vid......licking a guys cheeks or chin or nose IMO no big deal it's just a troll job I would laugh at it. If he licked my lips or stuck tongue in my mouth ok that's different b/c that becomes a infection control issue.

It"s not that it's not that big of a deal in the sense that Callahan ùis not gonna die from this. But it's a total lack of class and respect. I know that it's part of his job ti get under players skins but there are other ways to do that. Licking is in the same category as spitting to me. A huge sign of disrespect not only to Callahan but also to his coach and teammates who will indirectly have to deal with the fallout (media asking them questions about it etc).

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
It"s not that it's not that big of a deal in the sense that Callahan ùis not gonna die from this. But it's a total lack of class and respect. I know that it's part of his job ti get under players skins but there are other ways to do that. Licking is in the same category as spitting to me. A huge sign of disrespect not only to Callahan but also to his coach and teammates who will indirectly have to deal with the fallout (media asking them questions about it etc).

Lack of class sure, I agree. But not any different then another guy sticking you in the nuts with his stick (just a example).

Spitting is different IMO b/c much greater chance of a infection control issue. Spit could get on lips, in mouth or eyes. Sorry I have medical industry background so infection control is a big issue for me.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
...Except, yes they can.

Not unless they make the warning with a clearly defined punishment for it and let very team know, and even then I think they have issues with the players union.

I'm not sure they'd be OK with setting the precedent that the league can just make up a rule that involves a suspension.

Either way the league goofed this up by not telling the refs to call it on the ice.

Probably the only reason why he still does it.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
It’s funny how a lot of people in here think licking is horrible but a check to the head is clean. Weird world we live in.

Except that they are not mutually exclusive. Headshots to the head causing injury are bad but that does not make licking someone in the face a correct thing to do.

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
He found a loophole in the rulebook and is an agitator at all costs, no shame. I respect that.
And it's incredibly funny.

The league needs to put an end to it obviously because it's gross and not in the spirit of hockey but I think it's pretty great that it happened.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Morrissey got a game for a crosscheck to the neck that was missed on ice. The league can do whatever it likes. He has a union. He can grieve it if he doesn’t agree with his “potential” suspension. Either way, a precedent will be set. It has to be.

Per the nhl, what are their rules/definitions for for supplemental review and suspension of in game incidents.

I don't think they have carte blanche to review anything and everything do they?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It was insane the league didn’t take immediate action the FIRST time this happened.

They absolutely need to come down punitively on Marchand, with much more than just a meaningless warning

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Lack of class sure, I agree. But not any different then another guy sticking you in the nuts with his stick (just a example).

Spitting is different IMO b/c much greater chance of a infection control issue. Spit could get on lips, in mouth or eyes. Sorry I have medical industry background so infection control is a big issue for me.

That's fine. But as i just replied to another poster they are not mutually exclusive. One bad thing does not make another bad thing not a bad thing because it's not as bad. At least that's how i see it

AzHawk

Dec 20, 2015

9CCvvuy.jpg

Reactions: mel

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
They alrready did in the series vs Toronto

http://torontosun.com/sports/hockey...ents/wcm/f1ff6c58-f46f-49f2-9182-0269d728cd8d

He should be suspended 1 game since he already had been warned. That **** has no place in the league.

Friedman and Wyshynski reported it initially, but both NHL and Marchand denied that happened. NHL never told Bruins' Brad Marchand to stop licking players

What I'm saying is if they want it to stop, they probably should actually make that call. I don't know why they didn't in the first place.

Reactions: s613s

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
If Marchand did this to a girl on the street, he could be arrested for sexual assault.

If the NHL is too weak to do anything, I hope Callahan actually takes legal action against him. I know it sounds ridiculous, but you know what else is ridiculous? Licking someone in a hockey game. If Marchand thinks this is a joke, he should get his &@# sued. He needs to be made an example of.

Bare minimum he should be suspended the last game of the Bruins season

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
Per the nhl, what are their rules/definitions for for supplemental review and suspension of in game incidents.

I don't think they have carte blanche to review anything and everything do they?

I’m honestly not 100% sure. I’m really curious to find out. My guess would be the NHL could likely punish him how they feel fit and Marchand can then appeal through the union. A rule can’t be created until there’s a need for it. There hadn’t been, until now. For the time being, I’m sure they could lump it in with a vaguer rule. Unsportsmanlike for example.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
It's a massive invasion of someone's personal space. Sure he won't die from it but that doesn't make it something that shouldn't be punished.

Reactions: Menzinger and s613s

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Reactions: Chimp and PhysicX

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
But isn't one of these a hockey play? Should be 2 minutes at minimum.

I feel sorry for his mother that she has to watch his ****
Being sucker punched isn't a hockey play.

Checking is a hockey play.

Pushing and shoving can be forgiven.

Punching isn't a hockey play. Licking isn't a hockey play. Dirty checking isn't a hockey play. Biting isn't a hockey play.

I just don't get how Callahan sucker punching Marchand a couple times is completely fine, but licking isn't. Lots of people seem agree by reading this thread.

Reactions: aufheben

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Never thought I'd see the day where my phone would buzz with a notification saying that an NHL player will be officially told to stop licking his opponents.

He's like the Suarez of hockey. At any rate, the act is disgusting and he should get suspended from the NHL.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Not unless they make the warning with a clearly defined punishment for it and let very team know, and even then I think they have issues with the players union.

I'm not sure they'd be OK with setting the precedent that the league can just make up a rule that involves a suspension.

Either way the league goofed this up by not telling the refs to call it on the ice.

Probably the only reason why he still does it.

Different CBAs and Constitutions, so I'm not sure what powers the league/commish have, but this it was clearly established in the Goodell-Brady case that the league DIDN'T have to give notice to players or teams about penalties for actions. The rules at the time clearly called for a fine for an equipment violation, and previous precedent had been set with that (a team was fined for heating balls on the sideline during a game), but Goodell had the latitude to change the punishment in this case with no advance notice.

Again, different leagues, and we'd have to read the actual consitution and CBA (I have the 2nd on pdf but not the first), but I don't think your first sentence is definitively true (nor do I know it is untrue).

EDIT: Now that I think of it: I Don't think there was a rule in place nor advance notice of such a suspension possibility when Avery was suspended for making comments about Phaneuf's girlfriend, so I'm thinking the league does have broad powers for things that are in the "best interests of the game".

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Imagine being a grown adult and putting your bodily fluids on another human...

If Average Joe was walking around the streets licking people, he would likely be detained and be given a psychiatric evaluation.

This is embarassing for Brad Marchand, the Boston Bruins, and the National Hockey League.

The Bruins and the NHL need to agree together to suspend Brad Marchand until they evaluate his mental health and determine what the issue is here. PERIOD.
And if Average Joe walked around punching people, he would be detained too.

Let's just remove touching from hockey. Every touch is a penalty shot. Done. We've solved the case!

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Being sucker punched isn't a hockey play.

Checking is a hockey play.

Pushing and shoving can be forgiven.

Punching isn't a hockey play. Licking isn't a hockey play. Dirty checking isn't a hockey play. Biting isn't a hockey play.

I just don't get how Callahan sucker punching Marchand a couple times is completely fine, but licking isn't. Lots of people seem agree by reading this thread.

When you show someone that level of blatant disrespect, you 100% deserve to be punched in the face by them.

Also if you're referring to the two little cuffs Marchand took after licking Callahan's face, wow do you ever have a loose definition of a sucker punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad