March 2nd TDL Part 2

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It's too late for this year, but the league did act for the future by changing how the lottery works. Won't completely stop teams from doing it, but there is definitely the possibility that in any given year tanking this hard won't yield one of the ultimate prizes. Even the new percentages this year were a start. They just couldn't get teams on board with the new system in a draft year with these top end players.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Coburn deal is not good but Canadiens just steals away Petry.

DougieSmash

Jan 2, 2009
Sabres against Phoenix in direct tank battle is gonna be disgusting.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Why do we care if teams want to be bad on purpose?

I've just never seen it this blatant before. It was one thing when they traded Enroth, because at least they still had Neuvirth, who was a decent starter for a while.

But now they went from Enroth/Neuvirth to Lindback/Johnson. That's just being bad for the sake of being bad.

CalUK

Feb 16, 2015
Scotland
Anyone getting the feeling the Canes are done? If you think about it, Rissasen being called up is filling a spot on the roster. Sekera, Gleason leaving, and only Hillen in-coming.

There are seven D-men on the Canes now...

Hillen, Rissasen, JML, Hainsey, Faulk, Jordan and Bellemore with Murphy still on IR.

Wild Caniac

@WildCaniac
Jan 23, 2013
NC
I dont expect anything at this rate. Semin would be the only person and its getting a little too close to the deadline for a move like that.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I've just never seen it this blatant before. It was one thing when they traded Enroth, because at least they still had Neuvirth, who was a decent starter for a while.

But now they went from Enroth/Neuvirth to Lindback/Johnson. That's just being bad for the sake of being bad.

I don't get the outrage or disgust. Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel are franchise-changing players. As long as the last-place team is guaranteed one of them, smart non-playoff teams will try to finish in last place. It's smart business. If you want to blame the NHL for the rule that says a team can't drop more than one spot, that's fine, but the Sabres, Oilers and Coyotes are just doing what's best for their club.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Personally, I think they should have a draft lottery for every non-playoff team with fairly flat but still declining odds, and no rule saying you can only drop X places. It'd fix whatever the hell Buffalo is doing, but it'd also just be fun to watch.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
Personally, I think they should have a draft lottery for every non-playoff team with fairly flat but still declining odds, and no rule saying you can only drop X places. It'd fix whatever the hell Buffalo is doing, but it'd also just be fun to watch.

Me too. I don't care about tanking that much, but what I really hate is the notion that there would ever be an incentive in sports for fans to WANT their team to lose. It just feels wrong.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
They aren't trying to be bad. They are trying to accumulate as many picks as they can. I've said it before, if the draft lottery were completely random, these guys would be doing the same thing.

You look at the calender, pick a year you think you can realistically be competitive again, and plan accordingly. That's how rebuilding works.

DougieSmash

Jan 2, 2009
Brandon Sutter is not that good anymore. Anyway, he belongs to the wing. Terrible season for him so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad