Confirmed with Link: Marc Savard joins Blues coaching staff

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Funny how the Big Bad Bruins are now the wee whiny wuins.
He had a short guest interview on NHL radio the day after game 7 and seemed to know his stuff. It sounded like he worked for the Bruins or covered them in some way last season. He could also just be a Bruins fan from his playing days

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Does this mean Ott is out? I liked having him back there and hope he stays. Ott is a good example of a coach with no experience working out. Of course he clearly wasn’t bringing anything to the table on fixing things like the PP

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Does this mean Ott is out? I liked having him back there and hope he stays. Ott is a good example of a coach with no experience working out. Of course he clearly wasn’t bringing anything to the table on fixing things like the PP

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Excited to see what he brings to the org.

The Bruins off-season thread has been a delicious salt mine since the news broke.
That fan base is almost as bad as the Suckhawks.

Suckhawks fan are just stupid, but Bruins fans are rude and disrespectful.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
What are the odds that our regular season PP% and league rank improve next year? We ended up at 21.1% PP%, good for 10th overall in the league. How much does Savard improve on that?

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Wow! Crap Holy!

I had to stop reading this news on the Bruins board.

Not just salty, but one after another member over there is claiming the Blues are headshot artists and headhunters.

Seriously?!!

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
What are the odds that our regular season PP% and league rank improve next year? We ended up at 21.1% PP%, good for 10th overall in the league. How much does Savard improve on that?
We really wound up at 10th best at the end of the regular season?

Hard to believe that, but I trust you.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Great players don't always make great coaches. But in this case I like the move. Savard was such a smart player that I think it will translate well into coaching. Excited to see what changes he makes to the PP.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Why is it a given that Savard will improve our PP? Why is it assumed that he will be in charge of the PP? He has no NHL coaching experience. People are also assuming that because he was used a lot on the PP he will be good at coaching it. I had a few professors at University who were brilliant,, but couldn't impart that knowledge if their lives depended on it. Just because you are good at something doesn't mean you can teach it. I'm glad Savard is on board, but let's see how things work out.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Why is it a given that Savard will improve our PP? Why is it assumed that he will be in charge of the PP? He has no NHL coaching experience. People are also assuming that because he was used a lot on the PP he will be good at coaching it. I had a few professors at University who were brilliant,, but couldn't impart that knowledge if their lives depended on it. Just because you are good at something doesn't mean you can teach it. I'm glad Savard is on board, but let's see how things work out.
Well our powerplay at playoffs were that bad any team hasnt won cup tuhat bad powerplay % in the finals. I think it was 5.1% and PK was around 79%. When Boston had ovet 20% and 94% PK.

Sooo, cant go worse than that.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Well our powerplay at playoffs were that bad any team hasnt won cup tuhat bad powerplay % in the finals. I think it was 5.1% and PK was around 79%. When Boston had ovet 20% and 94% PK.

Sooo, cant go worse than that.
I think that demonstrates, once again, how dominant the Blues were 5 v 5.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Wow! Crap Holy!

I had to stop reading this news on the Bruins board.

Not just salty, but one after another member over there is claiming the Blues are headshot artists and headhunters.

Seriously?!!
We won the cup, I dont care how they did it. :laugh:

Their captian damn near killed Pacioretty, they employ one of the dirtiest rat players in existence and have been known as one of the dirtiest heavy teams throughout history.

The best reply to them and shark fans....."deal with it".

Reactions: Chippewa

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Looks like we're headhunter champions by Boston fans. They are still salty to us.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
We won the cup, I dont care how they did it. :laugh:

Their captian damn near killed Pacioretty, they employ one of the dirtiest rat players in existence and have been known as one of the dirtiest heavy teams throughout history.

The best reply to them and shark fans....."deal with it".
Surprising Pacioretty has continued having a very nice career after that bogus hit.

And the face-licking rat? OMFG

Hey! Bruins fans! Dissonance much?

Reactions: Dbrownss

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
We lived through Pietrangelo getting boarded and Wakey Wakey Backes and probably other dirty playoff hits I’m not remembering. I don’t care what San Jose and Boston fans think about our players. And if it were their team they’d have their reasons not to care either.

My response to them is - I’ve been on your side of things, too. This side is much nicer.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

It’s not a given at all, that’s why I asked the question. Very early, too-early-to-tell, call-your-shot, middle-of-July speculation, that’s all. I personally think there’s a fairly decent chance we don’t improve on 21%, FWIW.

But between the press release, Savard’s comments, and Berube’s comments, it’s pretty clear that he’s got PP duties. As in most things with the coaching staff last year, he won’t be a one-man island or anything, calling the shots all by himself, but his focus is definitely on finding ways and drawing up strategy for the power play.

His lack of coaching experience concerns me too, but it seemed to work out alright with Ott so far. Also, his comments today about his approach to coaching were encouraging, I think it jibes well with what Berube’s approach is. I’m willing to give him a fair shake. He was a tremendous hockey player, so, here’s to hoping lightning strikes again for him as a coach.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I’m glad opposing fans think the Blues are dirty. Basically just means they’re scared of us because we physically pounded them.

There was no stopping our forecheck these playoffs. Our guys were hungry and were going to put anyone that got in their way through the boards.

You gotta do stuff like that to win. We laid it all on the line and out-willed everyone we played. The Kings played the same way when they won their 2 Cups. I’ll take it.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’m glad opposing fans think the Blues are dirty. Basically just means they’re scared of us because we physically pounded them.

There was no stopping our forecheck these playoffs. Our guys were hungry and were going to put anyone that got in their way through the boards.

You gotta do stuff like that to win. We laid it all on the line and out-willed everyone we played. The Kings played the same way when they won their 2 Cups. I’ll take it.
It’s surprising to get that from Boston fans. Sharks, I understand, they play more of a finesse game. But I always thought the Bruins were a pound-you team that would give it right back.

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
We lived through Pietrangelo getting boarded and Wakey Wakey Backes and probably other dirty playoff hits I’m not remembering. I don’t care what San Jose and Boston fans think about our players. And if it were their team they’d have their reasons not to care either.

My response to them is - I’ve been on your side of things, too. This side is much nicer.

It is true, dolling out the hits is quite nice. I no longer had to look at the TV and wonder when the Blues were going to do something this year!

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
At best, his offensive mind will be a huge boost to not only the PP, but some of the players as well. Excited for Thomas to learn from him.

At worst, we are making a significant move, albeit an inexperienced hire, to fix a problem area that we've had for years.

Good move regardless of how it goes.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Any fanbase who loves Brad Marchand and also complains about dirty play is just trolling. Like, how is this even a thing?

What’s ironic is we don’t even have designated tough guys like Reaves or Lapierre anymore. Anybody who watches Barbashev and Sundqvist’s games know they are not dirty players at all. Aggressive, yes. But to me, their suspensions were questionable at best, and I didn’t even notice them as they happened on the ice. It was more of the league interfering to “even up” the officiating and keeping things from getting out of control via retribution.

Nobody on the Blues is slewfooting anybody, or sprinting the full length of the ice and launching into a high hit against a rookie. Nobody on the Blues is licking anybody. We’re tough, we’re strong, and we’re aggressive. The game is fast, and sometimes when you play that way, things happen that shouldn’t, and you go sit in the penalty box for it; that’s what it’s there for. But to say that we were “headhunting” or that injuring the other team was somehow a part of our game plan, is just ridiculous and reeks of being a sore loser. It’s poor sportsmanship is what it is.

They act like we didn’t lose Rob Thomas to a bad hit during that series as well. It’s playoff hockey, it happens. The team with the better depth wins. And, well, I haven’t seen the Bruins twitter posting their players’ day with the Cup, so. Take from that what you will. I do remember seeing Marchand and a few others celebrating like they won like a bunch of chumps though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad