Confirmed with Link: Marc Savard joins Blues coaching staff

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Man, those Bruins fans are really hurt about this.

Like, I get losing stings, and I also understand that Savard was a proud Bruin that did some great things for them in his prime. But there are a few Bruins fans that look at this as some betrayal, or worse, some great hypocrisy. Having Savard, someone who's career was cut short due to concussions, being on a team they label as "headhunters" is seen as a dishonor to his fight against concussions within the league. What's worse is he had to go to the team that beat them in the Finals due to their headhunting tactics, because they were the "inferior" team to the Bruins.

I don't care much because I know there are plenty of great Bruins fans that have been fun to converse with over the years. They provide great insight and look to make great conversation. I just find it bizarre to read some of those comments. It's denial to an extreme degree.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Seeing fans and coaches of the Sharks/Bruins call the Blues cheap was pathetic. The NHL has turned so soft these days. Everyone is so used to seeing wimpy diving teams like the Hawks and Preds (Stars, Sharks, Bruins) that new NHL fans think most hits are dirty.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
The thing is, I legit like the Bruins. That team is awesome, and a lot of fun to watch. I like them, in part, because they are a lot like us! We got the best of them in a 7-game series, but it was an inch or two from ending up the other way. I don’t have any hard feelings towards the Bruins as a hockey team. The fans though... the fans can be a bit much.

Reactions: simon IC

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Does this mean Ott is out? I liked having him back there and hope he stays. Ott is a good example of a coach with no experience working out. Of course he clearly wasn’t bringing anything to the table on fixing things like the PP

If Ott leaves, then who will handle all of the bounties?

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Couldn’t think of better coach/ mentor for Thomas and Kyrou then this guy. I have no idea how he is as a coach, but I’d be very surprised if he didn’t greatly help out our young high skill guys and our PP.

We don’t need him to reinvent the wheel or obviously be the head or even a large role assistant coach. Just control the PP and be a close communication with the players type of coach and we will be in business

Reactions: CoMoBlues

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I'm going to be up in New Hampshire and Maine for a couple weeks in August. Every single piece of Blues gear I own is coming with me.

The Champions gear is going to be worn in particularly high trafficked areas.

I just got done parading Blues Championship gear all over Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It's ok Red Wings fans, the Red Wings are a team, kind of. My lake house is rocking a Championship Banner so all my neighbors can enjoy that historic Blues victory (my neighbors are all Red Wings fans, lake house in the U.P.).

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I just got done parading Blues Championship gear all over Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It's ok Red Wings fans, the Red Wings are a team, kind of. My lake house is rocking a Championship Banner so all my neighbors can enjoy that historic Blues victory (my neighbors are all Red Wings fans, lake house in the U.P.).
Didn’t go as far as the UP, but I was just on the western coast in my gear. No strange looks or anything

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The thing is, I legit like the Bruins. That team is awesome, and a lot of fun to watch. I like them, in part, because they are a lot like us! We got the best of them in a 7-game series, but it was an inch or two from ending up the other way. I don’t have any hard feelings towards the Bruins as a hockey team. The fans though... the fans can be a bit much.

Yeah the team is pretty darn good, antics aside.

But holy crap that fanbase is softer than a wet paper bag. What an embarrassment. Really pathetic stuff.

Reactions: rumrokh

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
After eveything Boston sports has accomplished since the start of the 2000s, and what they've done to St. Louis teams in the recent past:

It's about time we had our boot on their neck for a change. Now they know how we felt all those years! :soap:

Also, here's hoping Marc Savard can help us get a league average power play.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
After eveything Boston sports has accomplished since the start of the 2000s, and what they've done to St. Louis teams in the recent past:

It's about time we had our boot on their neck for a change. Now they know how we felt all those years! :soap:

Also, here's hoping Marc Savard can help us get a league average power play.

We were the 10th best team in the league for PP% last season. So, better than average. Obviously the playoffs were a different story

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I just got done parading Blues Championship gear all over Wisconsin aund the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It's ok Red Wings fans, the Red Wings are a team, kind of. My lake house is rocking a Championship Banner so all my neighbors can enjoy that historic Blues victory (my neighbors are all Red Wings fans, lake house in the U.P.).
Haha I was up at my family’s lake house in the UP over the 4th (shout out M134) and greatly enjoyed doing the same thing. :D

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
Haha I was up at my family’s lake house in the UP over the 4th (shout out M134) and greatly enjoyed doing the same thing. :D

Lol hey we raised the population temporarily up there from 26 people to 28 people. Great success! My place is off 95 close to Republic and God help me if I end up arriving there at night because there's a very good chance I will drive right by that crappy logging road entrance.

Went over to my cousins at the lake after picking wild blueberries and said, 'Hey Todd, would you like some Blue....berries? I can see by that chagrined look on your face that you don't want any but did you hear the great news? The Saint Louis Blues are the 2019 Stanley Cup Champions! Todd why are you walking away? We haven't even reviewed highlights of G1 of the Final yet. Ok be that way, I will catch all the bass by your dock and hide them in your sauna.'

Good times, and I miss the wild blueberries something fierce.

Reactions: stl76

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
Didn’t go as far as the UP, but I was just on the western coast in my gear. No strange looks or anything

Yeah I didn't have any issues at all. Just people looking closely at my shirt a little longer to see what it said. Mostly with a finishing look that said, 'Oh..ok. Cool.'

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Bruins scored with 7 guys on the ice. What did the Blues do? Did they complain, or whine to the media/officials? No, they just won the damn game.

The Sharks were allowed to hand pass the puck into the slot for the game winning OT goal. What did the Blues do? They went out and dominated the rest of the series. Berube told the guys specifically not to address it. Don't play the victim card.

I truthfully think the way the teams handled the officiating problems made a difference in the playoffs. The Sharks couldn't cry enough about the officiating(even after being handed a series, and also an OT win in the WCF from the officials). Again in the Finals Cassidy whines about the officiating and several other Bruins. They look around all game begging for calls because they're being dominated 5 v 5. They were helpless. They were smothered. They were defeated. They didn't have the mental fortitude to push on. The Blues did. Sorry, Boston. Your talented team was too soft mentally and choked on home ice. I'm a Blues fan, I've seen my team choke dozens of times in the past. It sucks, I get it, but you're sounding and awful lot like those Canuck fans you've made fun of for years. The Blues just punched the "Big Bad Bruins" in the mouth and they had no answer. Sorry.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I like this hire. I'm not going to say "the PP is fixed" because Savard doesn't have a track record that I can point to. However, I will say that the issue has been addressed. We needed to do something about the PP and we brought in an outside hire that had amazing vision and PP acumen as a player.

Reactions: Falco Lombardi

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I like this hire. I'm not going to say "the PP is fixed" because Savard doesn't have a track record that I can point to. However, I will say that the issue has been addressed. We needed to do something about the PP and we brought in an outside hire that had amazing vision and PP acumen as a player.

And really that's all we as fans can really ask for IMO.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I'm going to be up in New Hampshire and Maine for a couple weeks in August. Every single piece of Blues gear I own is coming with me.

The Champions gear is going to be worn in particularly high trafficked areas.
May I suggest you take weapons and grow some eyes on the back of your head?

Reactions: Chippewa

dutchblues

Sep 28, 2007
Heerhugowaard
I am cautiously optimistic. Like others, I like the fact that Berube is picking his staff. I am going to pump the brakes on the "our PP is cured!" notion, however. He has no coaching experience. Let's wait and see.
Agreed Simon. If you were a (very) good player doesn't mean you are a good coach. Coaching players is something completly differend.

Reactions: simon IC

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
They'd better put him in the job of PP coach. They've been known to do some strange things with their coaching staff.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
They'd better put him in the jog of PP coach. They've been known to do some strange things with their coaching staff.
Good to see you again Robb!

Based on the comments I've seen from the organization and coaching staff, I fully expect him to be running the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad