Marc Bergevin - Take It Or Leave It Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I agree, that's why I mention Weber and not Petry.
If we talk what Bergevin is likely to do, he won't trade either of them. He's likely to stick with status quo, maybe get a Drewiske or Campoli type...bottom 6 forwards...and let it play out. Regroup in summer.
I just checked -- the St Louis pick is top-10 protected. If St Louis gets a top-10 pick in 2019, Buffalo can't touch it and has to wait until 2020 to claim the pick. St Louis might be much better the following season, so that pick might be far less valuable.

The good news is it'll be easier for Buffalo to trade that pick, since it won't be a top-10 pick in 2019. Bad news is it'll be a total crapshoot where the Blues finish in 2019/20.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Poehling_________for Muzzin
2019 2nd
Shlemko

Suzuki
Vegas 2o19 2nd____for Brodin

Give Panarin what ever he wants

Drouin-Domi-Shaw
Panarin-Kotka-Gally
Byron-Danault-Lehky
Agost-Chaput-Armia

Brodin-Weber
Muzzin-Petry
Kulak-Juulsen

Price

We can win a cup next season with this lineup.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I'm sorry but that's nowhere close to a cup winner.

We should continue to rebuild. Keep trading vets for prospects/picks. We don't have to get rid of every vet but that's the direction we should be taking right now. We should not be giving away picks for vets.
Why can't we try it your way? Have we been so successful the other way to ignore looking at things in an alternative manner? People throw out Edmonton as a reason to argue that high picks do not guarantee success but newsflash, there are versions of the Edmonton Oilers in every sport in the same way that there are versions of the Pens and Hawks as well. WTF do we have to lose?

Last edited:
Reactions: bsl and Lshap

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006

We should continue to rebuild. Keep trading vets for prospects/picks. We don't have to get rid of every vet but that's the direction we should be taking right now. We should not be giving away picks for vets.
Yes it is, it's a very good lineup... you think you need to have an all-star team to be a contender ?

... and how exactly can this team get any better with middle of the pack picks ?

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Yes it is, it's a very good lineup... you think you need to have an all-star team to be a contender ?

... and how exactly can this team get any better with middle of the pack picks ?
You actually do need All Stars in the top 6. At least two of them. You have paid attention to Cup winners of the recent past, have you?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I just checked -- the St Louis pick is top-10 protected. If St Louis gets a top-10 pick in 2019, Buffalo can't touch it and has to wait until 2020 to claim the pick. St Louis might be much better the following season, so that pick might be far less valuable.

The good news is it'll be easier for Buffalo to trade that pick, since it won't be a top-10 pick in 2019. Bad news is it'll be a total crapshoot where the Blues finish in 2019/20.

Blues' pick is Top-10 protected, but Blues can choose not to keep it. It's not mandatory. It's just that if they do keep it, whatever pick they get in 2019 belongs to Sabres.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

How about trading our mid-pack 1st round pick plus Petry or Byron for a higher 1st round pick? Teams like New Jersey, Philly, Arizona, Florida, etc. might get a top-10 pick and, unlike the Habs, need to make the playoffs. They're finished rebuilding and want to take the next step now rather than three years from now. They might be very interested in adding a very good vet who could help them now, in exchange for their higher 1st round pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsl and Da Grinder

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

I think this is mostly correct. I wouldn't mind adding a young solid LD to the roster though... but definitely not an old vet type... someone that fits the framework of the young core.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Blues' pick is Top-10 protected, but Blues can choose not to keep it. It's not mandatory. It's just that if they do keep it, whatever pick they get in 2019 belongs to Sabres.
Is there a credible way for another team to get the Blues' 2019 pick? If I understand correctly, that other team would first have to acquire the pick from Buffalo, then have St Louis agree to give it up. It would be one helluva bank shot.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Why can we try your way? Have we been so successful the other way to ignore looking at things in an alternative manner? People throw out Edmonton as a reason to argue that high picks do not guarantee success but newsflash, there are versions of the Edmonton Oilers in every sport in the same way that there are versions of the Pens and Hawks as well. WTF do we have to lose?
Exactly. The counter arguments are mostly about the risks of not getting back what we trade away. Which is a possibility. But years of risk-averse management is why we're currently in the position of having this debate. Success in the era of parity requires risk.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Is there a credible way for another team to get the Blues' 2019 pick? If I understand correctly, that other team would first have to acquire the pick from Buffalo, then have St Louis agree to give it up. It would be one helluva bank shot.

Pretty much. The Sabres will need to trade the Blues' pick. And then the team acquiring that pick will have to see if Blues keep the Top-10 pick or give it up. But then their 2020 1st round pick is the acquiring team's pick no matter where they pick.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Pretty much. The Sabres will need to trade the Blues' pick. And then the team acquiring that pick will have to see if Blues keep the Top-10 pick or give it up. But then their 2020 1st round pick is the acquiring team's pick no matter where they pick.
It's an interesting business dilemma. Assuming Buffalo can be convinced to give up that pick, the real question is where you project St Louis to be in a year. It appears they might be rebuilding. If so, their 2020 pick might end up being equally valuable than 2019. It would take balls for Bergevin to give up valuable picks/players for a totally unknown draft position in 18 months, but imagine if St Louis decides to rebuild and finishes bottom-5 in 2020. What a move that would end up being!

Foregoing 2019 for 2020 is a gutsier move, but it's much simpler, since we don't have to deal with St Louis and only have to deal with Buffalo.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Exactly. The counter arguments are mostly about the risks of not getting back what we trade away. Which is a possibility. But years of risk-averse management is why we're currently in the position of having this debate. Success in the era of parity requires risk.
What is it going to take for us to change then? Most of the fanbase wants to cheer for their team to win but are unwilling to face the reality of what it takes to achieve long term success. What exactly is it that the Montreal Canadiens are doing? This summer the focus turned to youth but only after we were rejected by JT and Paul Stastny and now we are in a playoff spot so has the focus now changed back to trying to win? Are we back to once you are in anything can happen?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Screw over Toronto by sending Marner a huge offer sheet. Teams are crazy not to sabotage the Leafs and handcuf them into enormous contracts for 2 players. Either Toronto matches, and leaves them with zero cap space for the rest, or they lose them for draft picks.

Do it Bergy.

Reactions: Miller Time

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
What is it going to take for us to change then? Most of the fanbase wants to cheer for their team to win but are unwilling to face the reality of what it takes to achieve long term success. What exactly is it that the Montreal Canadiens are doing? This summer the focus turned to youth but only after we were rejected by JT and Paul Stastny and now we are in a playoff spot so has the focus now changed back to trying to win? Are we back to once you are in anything can happen?
I've given up guessing what Bergevin will do. He could mastermind a stealth attack on a top prospect or draft pick, or he could lurch after a playoff fix with a dumb, desperate trade. Nothing will shock me. Most likely, he'll be Mr. In-Between and passively do nothing at the deadline, other than a minor move or two.

Maybe I'm jinxing it, but I think he's finally realized the only path to contending is through picks & prospects. He took homerun swings at UFAs and trades and missed, so maybe he's realizing that he's a better leadoff hitter.

Reactions: Runner77

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Kept saying for a while now....this management won't do a rebuild. Not at this point cause they won't have enough leash to finish it, not in Montreal. A management could do it if they were on day 1 of their job.

Today, they are 5th in their division....meaning that there's 11 teams that were not able to do better than this Habs team so far this season.....and that's mostly without Weber. They are the 2nd best team in the NHL at 5-on-5 for scoring goals. Questions should be: How the F did that happened?

At this point i would say that they got two choices. Either you miss the PO by a couple a points or either you get in by a couple of points. Either way, the Habs will draft between 14 and 22 and for me, it's the same thing.

Bergevin never really made big changes at TDL or giving up a lot of good assets, so i'm not worried about that but one thing for sure, he's not living 3 years without some help on the LD cause that's the minimum he'll have to wait in order to get some help through the draft or his prospects.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Kept saying for a while now....this management won't do a rebuild. Not at this point cause they won't have enough leash to finish it, not in Montreal. A management could do it if they were on day 1 of their job.

Today, they are 5th in their division....meaning that there's 11 teams that were not able to do better than this Habs team so far this season.....and that's mostly without Weber. They are the 2nd best team in the NHL at 5-on-5 for scoring goals. Questions should be: How the F did that happened?

At this point i would say that they got two choices. Either you miss the PO by a couple a points or either you get in by a couple of points. Either way, the Habs will draft between 14 and 22 and for me, it's the same thing.

Bergevin never really made big changes at TDL or giving up a lot of good assets, so i'm not worried about that but one thing for sure, he's not living 3 years without some help on the LD cause that's the minimum he'll have to wait in order to get some help through the draft or his prospects.
You know how it happened?? They got rid of two very very soft players in Galchenyuk and Pacioretty and brought in guys with arguably less talent like donie and Tatar but who have way more character and drive and who aren’t lazy f***ers like Patch and Galchenyuk
Changing the character in the desssing room helps a lot

Reactions: JoeDrouin

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
How about trading our mid-pack 1st round pick plus Petry or Byron for a higher 1st round pick? ...

I don't remember too many teams being successful at making this type of deal. I don't know that we have a sophisticated enough GM to pull it off. I see a deal where Petry and/or Byron can be dealt for futures, either separately or together, but probably toward a 2020 pick. Teams are generally loathe to give trade down in the first round of the current year where they are selecting.

Le compétiteur

Screw over Toronto by sending Marner a huge offer sheet. Teams are crazy not to sabotage the Leafs and handcuf them into enormous contracts for 2 players. Either Toronto matches, and leaves them with zero cap space for the rest, or they lose them for draft picks.

Do it Bergy.

Not Marner, it's Matthews that need to be targeted.

Leafs will match any offer to keep him, he's the one that need to be targeted to send Leafs in cap hell.

And just in case Leafs do not match and take the 4 first rounds picks... I like more the idea of losing 4 first rounds picks for Matthews then for Marner...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Behind every risk-averse management group, there is an equally if not more risk-averse ownership contingent. Whatever about this management group blueprint is deemed an irritant, it won't be going away anytime soon.

Reactions: bsl and groovejuice

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I've given up guessing what Bergevin will do. He could mastermind a stealth attack on a top prospect or draft pick, or he could lurch after a playoff fix with a dumb, desperate trade. Nothing will shock me. Most likely, he'll be Mr. In-Between and passively do nothing at the deadline, other than a minor move or two.

Maybe I'm jinxing it, but I think he's finally realized the only path to contending is through picks & prospects. He took homerun swings at UFAs and trades and missed, so maybe he's realizing that he's a better leadoff hitter.
Time will tell and I hope that we don’t go after Duncan Keith or some other veteran player because he thinks that we are only a piece away from contending. I like the young prospects we are assembling but we need more of them and I certainly do not want to be giving them up at this stage of the game.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

And here I was thinking that the true tectonic shift took place when Bergevin was rejected by the likes of Nick Bonino and Milan Lucic. :D

I don't think we ever left the "anything can happen in the playoffs" diktat. It was just conveniently smothered by the GM's temporary "reset" talk.

Reactions: OldCraig71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad