SJS - 6
STL - 7
TBL - 6
TOR - 0
VAN - 0
VGK - 4
WSH - 7
WPG - 2

15 teams have strictly more playoff series wins than us in the last 5 years. If we join the 0 playoff wins in 5 years club, will we see the end of the Bergevin era?

I’m working off my iPad so I am sure I made some mistakes, but anyways...

What I am about to say I know isn’t a good indicator of GM performance in the past 5 years, but using your list and taking into account those with zero playoff wins and correlating it with management changes...

Arizona: 1 GM change.
Buffalo: 1
Detroit: 1
Florida: 2
LA: 1
Jersey: 1, but more because Lou left.
Philly: 2
Toronto: 2, but I look at this as 1 since Lou left.
Vancouver: NO CHANGES! Wow.

When you factor in those with 1 series win:

Calgary, Colorado, Columbus: No changes.
Edmonton: 1, and years too late.
Minny: 1
Montreal: ZERO

Taking the second group and talking number of playoff appearances past 5 years:

Calgary: 3 appearances
Colorado: 2, though both past 2 seasons.
Columbus: 3
Edmonton: 1
Minnesota: 4
Montreal: 2

What does all this mean? Kinda just saying when a team performs poorly, staff are let go. Sakic had 9 lives also, but he’s at least made the playoffs twice now recently. Montreal has made it twice in the past 5, but missed 3 of the past 4 and missed the last two.

MB’s time has GOT to be up if they miss again this season.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I couldn't agree more and he seemed to have some 5 on 5 chemistry with Domi. I think he was sacrificed with the angle that they see Byron in the top 6 and/or they want to give youth a ''real'' chance.
It had better be the latter and not the former. Dear God.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It was the summer before last, too. Hard to believe it's actually been two utter garbage seasons out of Drouin.

He's only [current age], let's give him [however many years plus one] before we throw him under the bus.
Drouin has been embarrassing especially when you consider that he is our highest paid forward. He gets one more season here with the habs to try and improve his game, there are too many young guys on the way that want his job and I don't think he can afford to be a lazy disinterested player any longer. If he struggles out of the gate this year it might get ugly, Julien demoted him last year and he didn't respond and that was a red flag for me, especially when you consider that the team needed much more from him. He has talent to burn but is lacking in desire.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
It had better be the latter and not the former. Dear God.

Byron is such a Julien/Bergevin type of player. Tatar-Danault-Gallagher will start the year together. Wouldn't be surprised if Kotkaniemi centered Domi and Byron unless Drouin has a really good camp.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Drouin has been embarrassing especially when you consider that he is our highest paid forward. He gets one more season here with the habs to try and improve his game, there are too many young guys on the way that want his job and I don't think he can afford to be a lazy disinterested player any longer. If he struggles out of the gate this year it might get ugly, Julien demoted him last year and he didn't respond and that was a red flag for me, especially when you consider that the team needed much more from him. He has talent to burn but is lacking in desire.

The most embarrassing act of apologism that I ever witnessed on this board was characterizing Drouin's deployment in his first year as ''throwing him to the wolves.'' Other players spend their entire career fighting for, and never receiving, the opportunity he was handed on a silver platter and could not lose no matter what he did. It was frankly disgusting.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Yeah what did you expect ? hahah

People here think they are entitled to a Galchenyuk/Domi trade every year. The worst part is that the amount of fans that dumped on MB for making that trade in the first place was insane.

MB has many faults but he can't be labelled as ''inactive'' like some here suggest. Last ~3 years we added Weber , Drouin, Domi in the summer. I personally think we won all those trades. People don't like the team, yet when a player that got non-stop stick like Shaw leaves, suddenly everyone is finding he was on a nice contract and he was a worthy first liner going into next year. He's not taking a youngster's roster spot anymore, no, he's now beloved.

to comeback on previous trades, Subban and galchenyuk weren't important enough pieces to keep for the respective teams we traded them to. Keep that in mind when you crap on those trades.

I agree with 2/3s of the highlighted part of your post. But let's say I agreed 100%. MB's job is not to create trades he wins. His job is to create a team that wins. Wins the cup. In his 7 year tenure his teams haven't won much of anything.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I liked Shaw, thought he was an effective player.

That said never thought we'd get a2nd and 3rd for him with his injury history

Yep, but the cost of getting him was astronomical.
2 high 2nd round pick and one turned out to be 40 goals scorer Debrincat…..or it could very well be Samuel Girard.

But to make room for him we also traded Eller for 2 low 2nd round pick.
Now he's a fixture as a defensive 36-38 points 3rd line center who's being a strong PO presence for the Caps, healthy as a horse, contract friendly too.

So getting a 2nd and a 3rd for Shaw from Chicago is not really a good end to the Shaw story.
Great work by Bergevin i guess?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Ahhhh....you’re still in the past, come join us in the present, future is much brighter here :)
Jaf, you're on record saying you'd be really disappointed if he doesn't improve the team this off-season and you've agreed that so far he has done diddly squat to improve the team. If I were you I'd hold off painting this team's future as bright. You might be reminded that you said you'd want MB fired if he did nothing to improve the team. Well, he has done nothing. And drafting doesn't count. That's the amateur scouting staff's job.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I agree with 2/3s of the highlighted part of your post. But let's say I agreed 100%. MB's job is not to create trades he wins. His job is to create a team that wins. Wins the cup. In his 7 year tenure his teams haven't won much of anything.

It's the cruel reality of such positions: results, or GTFO.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It's the cruel reality of such positions: results, or GTFO.
After MB's spectacular off-season last year I was one of the posters willing to give him this off-season. It looks like he is gonna squander this off-season which only means Molson should squander more money on a new GM. It appears MB is incapable of raising this team past a certain level.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Yep, but the cost of getting him was astronomical.
2 high 2nd round pick and one turned out to be 40 goals scorer Debrincat…..or it could very well be Samuel Girard.

But to make room for him we also traded Eller for 2 low 2nd round pick.
Now he's a fixture as a defensive 36-38 points 3rd line center who's being a strong PO presence for the Caps, healthy as a horse, contract friendly too.

So getting a 2nd and a 3rd for Shaw from Chicago is not really a good end to the Shaw story.
Great work by Bergevin i guess?

It could have been both.

Girard + Debrincat + Eller
or
2nd + 3rd + Harris + Ikonen

yikes

Reactions: Milhouse40

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
After MB's spectacular off-season last year I was one of the posters willing to give him this off-season. It looks like he is gonna squander this off-season which only means Molson should squander more money on a new GM. It appears MB is incapable of raising this team past a certain level.

The scary thing is the next time we have an opportunity to win like we did in 2014-2015, who's to say Bergevin will have learned anything at all from his past experiences? He'll likely still just add depth players no matter what we need at this point.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
Jaf, you're on record saying you'd be really disappointed if he doesn't improve the team this off-season and you've agreed that so far he has done diddly squat to improve the team. If I were you I'd hold off painting this team's future as bright. You might be reminded that you said you'd want MB fired if he did nothing to improve the team. And drafting doesn't count. That's the amateur scouting staff's job.

He said the exact same thing to me a year ago. There was no way MB would not use the cap space to impove the team and go into the season with all those millions of cap space. When he did where was Jaffy27 owning up?

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

Same.
I thought last off-season bought him time, but this one was the time to strike.

I still think he'll do something significant before camp. (false hope?) It will have to be a trade now.

Reactions: Habs Icing

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

That happens

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It could have been both.

Girard + Debrincat + Eller
or
2nd + 3rd + Harris + Ikonen

yikes

I doubt we would have drafted both but it is a possibility.
But just one of Girard or Debrincat in your equation and it's still yikes.

Still can't believe many fans were calling each and everyone of those move a good one.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
He said the exact same thing to me a year ago. There was no way MB would not use the cap space to impove the team and go into the season with all those millions of cap space. When he did where was Jaffy27 owning up?

It's like those women getting beat up repeatedly by their boyfriends.

"... but, but but HE LOVES ME! I can change him! He can change. I swear it's the last chance I give him!"

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad