Marc Bergevin - More Excuses Needed... Edition Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
League changed. 93, 93, 90, 104, 93, 88

That's how many points Gainey's teams had. This year we missed with 96, similar amount for previous years. Only that 90 points team missed the playoffs. The 88 got in and fluked(or halaked) their way to the third round.

It's not that Gainey was a good gm that made him go to the playoffs more often than Bergevin. He just got lucky with a god awful conference so he could squeeze in with a.mediocre lineup

'Cause Bergevin does not benefit from having Carey Price huh? You don't talk about lucky that makes Bergie? And you don't think that getting a whole lot of points Bergie style in the regular seaosn to be dumped in in the playoffs so rapidly doesn't exactly tell a different story? That a bad conference makes having more points in the regular season easier, while when it's time to face a playoff team on a 4 out of 7, you then show your true colors and you are rapidly eliminated?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Bergevin or Houle or Gainey or Gauthier......
All of your debates is telling me it's hard to know which one was the worst as they were all bad.

But how the hell this once proud organization came to hire such a bunch of bad GM?

That should be the real question.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
All of your debates is telling me it's hard to know which one was the worst as they were all bad.

But how the hell this once proud organization came to hire such a bunch of bad GM?

We've got a thread on the boards asking about who put together the best 4th lines... :laugh: That's where we're at in terms of a franchise right now.

Again, the Gainey/Gauthier/BargainBin debates have been done for years here. I'm tired of them. I'm tired of the excuses and I'm sad to see so many posters giving him "one more year to turn things around." It has been a broken record for eight years.

I'd call for his head but it won't do any good. We're stuck with him. But this is probably his last chance (finally.) So I'm hoping to see him finally do something bold this year. No more excuses. No more "this isn't playstation/they aren't avaialble/get a dog etc... crap. We've had eight years of this. Enough already.

If he doesn't do anything this year, I hope to start seeing billboards in the streets of Montreal next year calling for his (and Molson's) scalp.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We are about to start MB's 8th season, and literally every year, the goalposts have moved for him, to allow him more time...rinse and repeat...it's been incredible how this guy has used about 3-4 lives as if he was a cat with 9 .........

Price and Weber both made comments at the end of the year as to the effect of they have to be in the playoffs next year, so there will be NO more hiding behind low ball expectations. The clock is ticking folks...

Never underestimate the power of overdeveloped biceps.

Reactions: groovejuice

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
We've got a thread on the boards asking about who put together the best 4th lines... :laugh: That's where we're at in terms of a franchise right now.

Again, the Gainey/Gauthier/BargainBin debates have been done for years here. I'm tired of them. I'm tired of the excuses and I'm sad to see so many posters giving him "one more year to turn things around." It has been a broken record for eight years.

I'd call for his head but it won't do any good. We're stuck with him. But this is probably his last chance (finally.) So I'm hoping to see him finally do something bold this year. No more excuses. No more "this isn't playstation/they aren't avaialble/get a dog etc... crap. We've had eight years of this. Enough already.

If he doesn't do anything this year, I hope to start seeing billboards in the streets of Montreal next year calling for his (and Molson's) scalp.

It's actually rather a pathetic example of where the fan base is at in these times, IMO, but I can see where one would explain this off as the team not winning a Cup in 25 years.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
They missed the POs, they were in bottom 5 previous year, and pretty much everything seemed to work well for them this year, yet they still couldn't cut it.
That, and then I look at their roster, no game breaking talent, an aging #1...Of course, you can also not watch a single game and simply look at the overall standings to determine where a team stands.

And nobody ever said to pretend the West dont exist. Let me ask you, if we played in Western Conference, do we finish with 96pts too?

We probably finish with more. The West was trash this year, Anaheim lost 12 games in a row and was still in a wildcard spot when that losing streak finished.

Montreal would've clinched a spot in mid-March if they played in the West.

Reactions: Walrus26

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
We probably finish with more. The West was trash this year, Anaheim lost 12 games in a row and was still in a wildcard spot when that losing streak finished.

Yes, well they were one of the top teams too when that happened.

You have no idea how we would fare off. You really think the Habs are stronger than the Avs? Are you nuts man...loll
You don't know how many points we would have gotten had we have to play vs the Jets, Flames, Stars, Avs, and the likes. How many back to backs would we have played? How many times would we have faced opponents on their second night of a back-t0-back? The traveling is said to be more difficult in the west, how would that affect us?
You say the West was so weak looking at the points in the standings but isn't that exactly what ''parity'' is? If you play in a conference where most teams are on par, you won't be racking up the points. Meanwhile, TB who mostly played Eastern teams just put up a record tying season. Doesn't that show how easy it was to point up some points in the East this year? It's all about how you look at things.

We could have missed the POs in the West too.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

yup, playing vs different teams would have given the exact same result...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Prop up Gainey? Hardly... I was and remain quite critical of his failed tenure.

Bergevin is just demonstrably worse.

if your opinion is that you can only evaluate a GM based on wether they won a cup or not, so be it.
.. shallow opinions/analysis are what they are. I don't particularly care either way about your opinion... this is a message board, the way it works is that people post stuff and people respond. If it bothers you that much to have your opinion countered, perhaps a message board isnt for you?
Actually I explicitly stated that is NOT josmi evaluate a performance from a GM

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Detroit just went that route... Not exactly a bad decision I'd say.

how about we just hire the best person for the job, period. That approach rarely fails, regardless of where the person came from.
That's good for Detroit...

I'm really not interested in recycling the latest candidate from the alumni section.

That's just me

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
funny how you can see that with Houle, but can't see it with Bergevin... they were quite similar as GM's, with the noted difference that at least Houle was likeable despite the lack of effectiveness at his job.
I don't need to like the GM....we're not dating.

And I'm sorry, I won't compare Bergevin to Houle. Bergevin has his faults and I won't even disagree that under different circumstances, he would already be fired by now.

But I also don't need to exaggerate to make a point.

You'll just have to allow me to have my own opinion rather then force yours on to me.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

And I'm sorry, I won't compare Bergevin to Houle. Bergevin has his faults and I won't even disagree that under different circumstances, he would already be fired by now.

You'll just have to allow me to have my own opinion rather then force yours on to me.
Bergevin's guidance has lead to us missing the POs 3 out of 4 years. The only one who's done worse than that is Houle with 4/5. I believe the Habs also had a historical collapse under Bergevin's leadership.

Bergevin or Houle, who's worse...I'd say Houle as well but it ain't as big of a gap as it should be.
The mere fact this is even being entertained by plenty of fans is reflective enough of how things have gone. Exaggeration or not...if we miss the POs next season, Bergevin ties Houle for worst stretch of 5 years in History.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Bergevin's guidance has lead to us missing the POs 3 out of 4 years. The only one who's done worse than that is Houle with 4/5. I believe the Habs also had a historical collapse under Bergevin's leadership.
Agreed but you need not remind me of these...I'm not endorsing him in this thread.

Bergevin or Houle, who's worse...I'd say Houle as well but it ain't as big of a gap as it should be.
I think is a huge gap...but I don't think it's productive to go back and forth and highlight each of their low lights.

If only because because we might be stuck awhile.

The mere fact this is even being entertained by plenty of fans is reflective enough of how things have gone. Exaggeration or not...if we miss the POs next season, Bergevin ties Houle for worst stretch of 5 years in History.
It would be a dubious record to say the least.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Nashville lost in the first round, Bergevin is a great gm again.:laugh:

If Poile gets fired, who becomes the next GM used to prop up Bergevin? Benning isn’t long-standing enough. Chiarelli is gone, nobody takes the kid in Phoenix seriously.

Maybe Dubas gets accelerated with a first round exit?

Reactions: OldCraig71

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Agreed but you need not remind me of these...I'm not endorsing him in this thread.

I think is a huge gap...but I don't think it's productive to go back and forth and highlight each of their low lights.

If only because because we might be stuck awhile.

It would be a dubious record to say the least.
Well, again, huge gap or not, Bergevin might very possibly tie him for the worst stretch of 5 years in history.

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Well, again, huge gap or not, Bergevin might very possibly tie him for the worst stretch of 5 years in history.

And unlike Houle, Bergevin isn't restricted by a strict budget...

Houle struggled, but his mandate wasn't to win, it was to cut costs, which he did.

Bergevin's mandate is to win, he has full ownership support to spend, he's had a far longer tenure to do so... End result, as bad as Houle. That makes him a worse GM in my books.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
That's good for Detroit...

I'm really not interested in recycling the latest candidate from the alumni section.

That's just me

You said that already. No need to repeat yourself.

Not wanting the best person for the job may not be a very sensible opinion, but bias is easy enough to get.

Reactions: 417

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Getting all defensive speaks volumes. Sorry you feel so hard done to have your posts challenged. Ignore function is a better option than whining about it.

Reactions: 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Houle and Gauthier should not be in the same sentence as Gainey or Bergevin.

Bergevin's biggest bone head move is signing Alzner and not willing to overpay by $1M AAV to keep Radulov. Gainey's bone head move is trading for Gomez which is one of the worse trades in our franchise history. Bergevin is guilty of trading Subban who was a popular player for Weber and getting 4 years older. After 3 seasons, this trade is still close value for both teams. Time will tell if this gets one sided but for now, it's not a bad trade.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Houle and Gauthier should not be in the same sentence as Gainey or Bergevin.

Bergevin's biggest bone head move is signing Alzner and not willing to overpay by $1M AAV to keep Radulov. Gainey's bone head move is trading for Gomez which is one of the worse trades in our franchise history. Bergevin is guilty of trading Subban who was a popular player for Weber and getting 4 years older. After 3 seasons, this trade is still close value for both teams. Time will tell if this gets one sided but for now, it's not a bad trade.

You defended lolzner until the day he cleared waivers.

Gauthier’s worst move was probably still better than MB’s top5 worst. PG was a far superior GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad