Marc Bergevin - Kickstart My Heart Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
Sorry guys it seems like I don't know how to use the quote and reply feature :(, All I wanted to say is I agree with Bryson's post. The stats are right there....

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
dahlin3.jpg

Bergevin is a genius. His last gift to the organization..was premeditated since the PK trade. He planned everything. So genius!

Who, Bergebin will subsequently use as bait to bring in Darnell Nurse in exchange. Extend this man again!

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Sorry guys it seems like I don't know how to use the quote and reply feature :(, All I wanted to say is I agree with Bryson's post. The stats are right there....

Hey Armaniac, welcome to the forum! All you have to do is press on the "reply" icon and the forum will automatically quote the post for you down at the bottom. Then you just type whatever you want after the quote. Hope that helps.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I was referring to this Molson quote from the 2012 presser where Bergevin was announced:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/montrealer-marc-bergevin-named-canadiens-gm-1.1129922

If Molson was not asking for Bergevin to "win now", then what does he mean by "improve the team in the short-term"? If you're rebuilding, then it's incompatible with the long-term goal of improving the team through drafting and development since improving the team in the short term infers improvements that run counter to the longwinded process that is usually associated with rebuilding over the long term. Hence my comment in the other thread.
I don't think he really meant anything by it. I mean, they want to get better and win, short term, long term, make everything great again... What is short term? Was he talking about as soon as the next season? 2 years? 3? And what constitutes as an improvement?
I care more about the words that came out of Bergevin as he is the one hired to make those objectives come true. He said it would take time and they want to rebuild through draft-development. His actions were consistent with his words the first year, as he just got rid of some of the garbage here and signed bottom players. Pretty sure if he had his way, we would have ended with another top 3 pick.
You don't sign Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon after finished 28th and think this will improve us short term. So, really, I don't think the plan was to win the division or be in any form ''competitive'' right away.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hey Armaniac, welcome to the forum! All you have to do is press on the "reply" icon and the forum will automatically quote the post for you down at the bottom. Then you just type whatever you want after the quote. Hope that helps.

I'll second Bryson's post. Welcome to our zoo.

I don't think he really meant anything by it. I mean, they want to get better and win, short term, long term, make everything great again... What is short term? Was he talking about as soon as the next season? 2 years? 3? And what constitutes as an improvement?
I care more about the words that came out of Bergevin as he is the one hired to make those objectives come true. He said it would take time and they want to rebuild through draft-development. His actions were consistent with his words the first year, as he just got rid of some of the garbage here and signed bottom players. Pretty sure if he had his way, we would have ended with another top 3 pick.
You don't sign Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon after finished 28th and think this will improve us short term. So, really, I don't think the plan was to win the division or be in any form ''competitive'' right away.

I had trouble with Molson's statements for the reason you expounded -- and since he's not a hockey man, I agree with putting the onus of hockey decisions and the way they're going to be implemented, on Bergevin. Too many statements made by Bergevin were inconsistent with his actions over the long run and that continues to plague him but somehow, none of it seems to put his job in jeopardy. Molson's tolerance for Bergevin's dog and pony show is unknown, Molson doesn't come across as someone who will make rash decisions or statements. Or maybe, Molson doesn't really appreciate the extent of what has been going on. That proverbial leash is going to be something open to speculation this year, if this keeps up.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A reminder folks, the Subban discussion belongs in the Out of Town thread. Don't bring that debate in here please.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada

Atleast Yakupov was traded out of that mess, sooner or later Chucky gets dealt, and probably becomes a very solid 70 point player.

What are the chances Bergevin makes a rash decision to deal this years first for immediate help only to have the pick end up in the 1-10 spot and screw us even harder in the long run.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I had trouble with Molson's statements for the reason you expounded -- and since he's not a hockey man, I agree with putting the onus of hockey decisions and the way they're going to be implemented, on Bergevin. Too many statements made by Bergevin were inconsistent with his actions over the long run and that continues to plague him but somehow, none of it seems to put his job in jeopardy. Molson tolerance's for Bergevin's dog and pony show is unknown, Molson doesn't come across as someone who will make rash decisions or statements. Or maybe, Molson doesn't really appreciate the extent of what has been going on. That proverbial leash is going to be something open to speculation this year, if this keeps up.
Ya it's difficult to know where Molson's head is really at.
On one hand he's being a good owner on letting his GM take hockey decisions. On the other, he seems incapable of knowing his GM is doing a terrible job.

Reactions: Backstrom6

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Ya it's difficult to know where Molson's head is really at.
On one hand he's being a good owner on letting his GM take hockey decisions. On the other, he seems incapable of knowing his GM is doing a terrible job.

I could imagine a comity of ex-hab greats like Cournoyer, Lafleur and Savard telling him Bergevin's gotta go and he'd flip flop in a second. From reports last year, a couple of them were fed up with Bergevin holding on Therrien for so long and started letting their concerns be known. There's also of course Price.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
He's a narcissist with delusions of self grandeur where he thinks he is the singular most intelligent hockey person who's ever lived.

So he just doesn't understand.

Been saying this for years. The guy is totally high on his own supply.

As for the poll, he's definitely looking for a way to get Burrows! He will grind us out of our troubles!

Reactions: WeThreeKings

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I see a light at the end of this tunnel. I hope it's the train the gets Barginbin fired. I hate to say it but I was hoping for a really good season or a really bad season, hopefully he rides this wreck into the ground. Then maybe we can hire by merit for a change instead of language.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Been saying this for years. The guy is totally high on his own supply.

As for the poll, he's definitely looking for a way to get Burrows! He will grind us out of our troubles!
How do you figure?

Why would he be looking to trade for Burrows?.....your post seems to be based on emotion

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
How do you figure?

Why would he be looking to trade for Burrows?.....your post seems to be based on emotion
Look at the poll options.

You have to have the inane straw man built so you can whip the masses to tear it down.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The other day the girlfriend was laying into me for not loading the dishwasher properly, so I had to remind her just how long it took David Poile to reach the stanley cup finals.

Same here. She was mad at me for not being able to drive the girls to the gym and that she had to do it...to which I responded....Yeah, maybe, but I wasn't -3 like PK. End of argument.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Actually we had a sunny month of September. Thank you Bergie. Not true that he ****s up everything he touches. He at least was able to do that.
if he did it in less that 19 or so years of being Habs GM Bergevin's a f***ing genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad