News Article: Marc Bergevin Drops The Ball As Canadiens Lose Alexei Emelin

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'd truly be amazed if anyone actually agreed with your POV.

The ironic part is that DD is as close a replacement to Emelin as you could have asked for at the dealine. Big, solid, crease clearing defencman who's physical and blocks shots.

Even with Emelin we still have a full compliment of defencemen AND Diaz is still coming back AND we have more solid replacements that can step in. What more exactly was Bergevin supposed to do at the deadline??

Sorry but your article is a fail and your entire premise is misinformed and without merit.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
The writer of this article shouldn't give up his day job. Unless that day job is writing articles. Then he should consider becoming a sandwich artist.

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
yeah and your thread is just as dumb as the article.

Bergevin has done an A+ job in my estimation. I just think that he made a miscalculation with our Dman depth... a topic for discussion amongst Hab fans here on this board. Some agree with my opinion most seem to disagree, which is fine.

But to say that the thread or article is dumb is just reactionary.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Diaz is coming back soon, we picked up Drewiske who's been playing great now. Not to mention we have 2 great prospects in the AHL ready to be called up anytime.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
To keep with the football metaphors, the board is now piling on the writer. I feel bad for the guy now.

Still not an opinion I agree with.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
To keep with the football metaphors, the board is now piling on the writer. I feel bad for the guy now.

Still a silly article.

Well if you are going to write an article about defensive depth, and the Habs have 9 NHL defensemen and 3 more in the AHL, you look like an idiot.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I agree with what WhiskeySeven has to say here. Bergevin should have spent one of those three 2nd rounder and gotten more that just a #7 dman. The objective is to win a Stanley Cup and the Habs have a decent shot this year. Shero and Chia, both Cup winners, moved assets to improve their chances, I think Bergevin should have been a little more aggressive at the trade deadline.

Then again, maybe Drewiski or Beaulieu or Tinordi step up. But that's a long shot.

Neither Shero nor Chiarelli added a d-man at all, never mind a Drewiske

They added scoring and checking, which we did too, getting Ryder, our now leading scorer, and Halpern, a great pickup.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Well if you are going to write an article about defensive depth, and the Habs have 9 NHL defensemen and 3 more in the AHL, you look like an idiot.

Really four in the AHL because St-Denis has already proved he can do a decent job in the bigs, keeping it simple.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
These guys are trying to be pro hockey writers?? LOL
That writer wouldve been all up in arms i'm sure if MB had given up a 2nd round draft pick to get a well known D-man! Instead of praising MB for having the foresight to go get a good defenseman with some experience that writer just complains! He must be a Leafs fan to hate so much...
:shakehead

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
Neither Shero nor Chiarelli added a d-man at all, never mind a Drewiske

They added scoring and checking, which we did too, getting Ryder, our now leading scorer, and Halpern, a great pickup.

Shero added Murray a big veteran D, he also paid two 2nd rounders... I guess Shero is an idiot GM?:shakehead

Bruins did not add a Dman... however the Bruins have plenty of slow dense dman in their system already.:naughty:

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Shero added Murray a big veteran D, he also paid two 2nd rounders... I guess Shero is an idiot GM?:shakehead

Bruins did not add a Dman... however the Bruins have plenty of slow dense dman in their system already.:naughty:

We have plenty of d-men in our system as well, fact is we have enough as is and Diaz is coming back soon. Sometimes the best pickups are the low-key players like Drewiske. Some people here...

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
Posters saying the Habs have 9 dmen sure know how to count.... but that's about it as far as reasoning goes.

Three of our so-called top 9 Dman - Diaz, Weber and Kaberle are either injured or have not played in months! None of these can replace a physical #4 Dman. Our Hamilton dman are untested and inexperienced at the pro level.

Bottom line is the Habs now have a big hole in our D.
We have only 3 of 4 top four D, a #5 D in Boullion and a bunch of #6 D.

A #4 dman plays 20 minutes against top level forwards.
A #6 dman plays 10-12 minutes against bottom level forwards.

That is a big jump for a #6 or #7 to make. That is my reasoning here.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The second guessing behind this article departs from reality. Maybe the CBA should have called for a 30-man roster and a $75M salary cap, so the Habs would have been able to stock 10 NHL-capable Dmen drawing NHL salaries all season.:shakehead

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com

And if you feel that Weber should have been traded before the deadline, fine - but in that 'piece of journalism'? Not exactly good timing :laugh:

I have yet to see a good article written up on that site. No joke.

Ditto. Articles stray from the original subjects, arguments are all over the place, writers contradict themselves - and that's only in the first 2 or 3 paragraphs!

Too bad, really wanted to give the guy a chance again, but this is a train wreck.

May I suggest a few pointers to this François Gagnon en herbe?

1- KISS: keep it simple, st... Short and sweet.

2- Find a good reader who can comment on what you wrote and make a few recommendations/adjustments.

3- If you intend on making this a career, enroll in a journalism program. If you've already taken courses... take them again!

jojot

Apr 8, 2013
I registered an account just so I could pile on. This is probably the most idiotic thing one could write on the subject. I suppose the author also believes Ray Shero is an idiot for not trading for an adequate replacement for Sidney Crosby when he knew full well that Sid could take a puck in the jaw at any time. Seriously, the original post should just be treated as unwelcome spam.

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
I registered an account just so I could pile on. This is probably the most idiotic thing one could write on the subject. I suppose the author also believes Ray Shero is an idiot for not trading for an adequate replacement for Sidney Crosby when he knew full well that Sid could take a puck in the jaw at any time. Seriously, the original post should just be treated as unwelcome spam.

Dude seriously... you should not have wasted your time registering!

You cannot replace a guy like Crosby or Subban or Markov at the trade deadline... if one of those players go down you are s**t out of luck.

But a decent depth Dman that can come in and eat up 20 minutes a night can be had at the tread deadline.

Bergevin did not want to pay the price... i guess he does not think the Habs will make a long run this year... or the he has his eye on some players they want to draft with those three 2nd rounders this year.

I believe that Habs chance at the cup this year just took a big hit.
Time will tell how this plays out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad