News Article: Marc-Andre Fleury: Why the Penguins Should Bench Him

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
The reason "we don't make legitimate cases" is because you just don't have any understanding of the position, and quite frankly, game in general. The only argument that you see as legitimate is one using number. You make the argument of a guy who never played the game, yet thinks the stats the computer shows him makes him an expert.

Joe Morgan, is that you?

SaturdayNightSlegr

Jan 2, 2009
Pittsburgh suburbs
I watch majority of Anaheim's games and Corey Perry hasn't been elite winger last year nor this year. He was playing somewhat well last year if you factor that ducks as a whole sucked, he had his frustrating moments but this year he has been quite terrible. So stats are quite correct.

excellent! so we can get him with TK, prospects and picks! :sarcasm:

Feb 12, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Things that do bother me immensely with Fleury are the following:

1. He can lose focus at times, which could be the reason why shutout elude him. He sometimes plays like he has ADD, and he needs to be involved to be effective. The 1st shot goals have also tended to be a problem, and again, it's because some times his focus isn't there.

2. He is still piss poor at playing the puck. It's a skill of his that has never gotten better, and I don't think it ever will. When you see a guy like Conklin or Vokoun playing in Bylsma's system, it's an awesome thing. You have a goalie that can effectively start a break up ice, it just makes this team faster. Fleury cannot, and will never be able to do that.

3. Much like Jordan Staal, Fleury reads the papers, and listens to the media. I remember in the beginning of the season 2 years ago where he was absolutely terrible, I was at that game where the fans chanted his name in pregame against the Lightning, and that turned his whole season around. It shouldn't take that to bring a goaltender out of the depth of despair. He is way too hard on himself, and his confidence is shaky because of it.

I do see your point, and agree with most of your post, but I can't quite write off fleury just yet. The guy will never be Brodeur, but no one ever will reach that level in the NHL again in my opinion. It's pretty easy to jump onto the vokoun bandwagon, but at the same time, don't you have to think about the fact that he's an older, injury prone goalie? The guy's great, but for how long? I've read atleast three articles between yahoo, bleacher report, and the hockey writers all saying to replace fleury or give vokoun a starting role, but it is way too early this season to say anything about either one of their performances.

And a word about your number 3, even though its a little OT, our fans should be doing that for him MORE, and for our team in general more. I don't know if i'm the only one that noticed lately, but the fans in consol have started to suck unless we're winning in the game. Scott P from WDVE wrote a very good article about that.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I watch majority of Anaheim's games and Corey Perry hasn't been elite winger last year nor this year. He was playing somewhat well last year if you factor that ducks as a whole sucked, he had his frustrating moments but this year he has been quite terrible. So stats are quite correct.

Exactly. Which is what I said earlier and why Ogalthorpe using Perry to compare to Fleury is ridiculous. He has stats to show he is elite, but that doesn't mean he didn't struggle last year (he did and the stats back it up). Fleury, however, has very little stats to prove he's "elite" (top 5, 10, however you want to say it) and many stats to show he is an solid, above average to average starting goaltender.

Feb 12, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Exactly. Which is what I said earlier and why Ogalthorpe using Perry to compare to Fleury is ridiculous. He has stats to show he is elite, but that doesn't mean he didn't struggle last year (he did and the stats back it up). Fleury, however, has very little stats to prove he's "elite" (top 5, 10, however you want to say it) and many stats to show he is an solid, above average to average starting goaltender.

I'm not sure if i'm placing him on elite status, but he's a damn solid goaltender. We could absolutely win another cup with him, and if you'd notice specifically as of late, most of his bad games were riddled with defensive breakdowns. even brodeur in his holiness has a solid defensive structure in front of him, and i'm sure that helps his stats.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think MAF has been ok this year, my only gripe is the goaltending coach/consultant. Was hoping when Allaire was let go by the Leafs, the Pens would jump on it. They didn't, still have Meloche...seems like Fleury has stagnated with his growth and well, that's why I was hoping he'd get a new goaltending coach/consultant. A fresh pair of eyes on his technique.

Bad years for someone is career years for another.

Weird thing to say. Unless that "another" is someone that is as skilled as Perry and has never put up numbers like that, but then puts up similar numbers in Corey's "off year"...then sure.

StoneColdFlower*

Been very pleased with him as of late. And even when I'm not I'm still grateful that we're not blowing that kind of money on Bryzgalov. :-P he **** the bed again last night. Flyers suck.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
Bench him in favour of who exactly?

Tomas Vok-- wait...

umm... Brad Thie-- shoot, wait...

oh i know: John Cur-- wait they got rid of him...

Brent Johnson? nah.

Jeff Zatkoff? nope.

Pat Killeen? colder.

Alexander Pechurski? not here either...

crap, the Pens don't have anyone. literally, the only somewhat competent goalie they have now is Fleury. i would like to think he wouldn't have **** the bed tonight.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
They should have started Vokoun against Buffalo and Fleury against the Flyers. Fleury was in beast mode when there was traffic around the net.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
It's pretty obvious Meloche has been working with TV in between his few starts. TV's play was very MAF esque.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
I needed 60 seconds to fire up the yourtube machine:

Instead of just being ****ed, were double ****ed.

3 bad goals from 3 different games. Vokoun let in 6 bad goals tonight....well make it 5, I'll give him the one off of Nisky. Goal 1 horrible, and he didn't even attempt to get back to the crease. Goal 2, down WAY to early. Goal 3 horrible rebound control. Goal 4 WTF was he thinking. And goal 6 after all that comeback was just awful. So yeah 5 bad goals in 1 game.

One bad game by Vokoun doesn't make him a bad goalie, but man he cost us this game for sure.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
3 bad goals from 3 different games. Vokoun let in 6 bad goals tonight....well make it 5, I'll give him the one off of Nisky. Goal 1 horrible, and he didn't even attempt to get back to the crease. Goal 2, down WAY to early. Goal 3 horrible rebound control. Goal 4 WTF was he thinking. And goal 6 after all that comeback was just awful. So yeah 5 bad goals in 1 game.

One bad game by Vokoun doesn't make him a bad goalie, but man he cost us this game for sure.

Didn't you know? That only applies to Fleury. And no matter how many good games he has it doesn't matter.

And don't you dare bring up that goal off the glass Vokoun let in during the Capitals game!

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
I needed 60 seconds to fire up the yourtube machine:

Instead of just being ****ed, were double ****ed.

I'm late to the party here, so I don't know what argument I'm interrupting, but maybe, just maybe, hockey is a very fast game full of bounces and broken plays and any/all goalies who have played hundreds of NHL games have a highlight reel of fluky, ****** goals scored on them.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I'm late to the party here, so I don't know what argument I'm interrupting, but maybe, just maybe, hockey is a very fast game full of bounces and broken plays and any/all goalies who have played hundreds of NHL games have a highlight reel of fluky, ****** goals scored on them.

Like Brodeur's own goal during the Stanley Cup Finals?

No! It's only Fleury that lets it bad goals! HAVE HIM SHOT IMMEDIATELY SO WE CAN FORGET ABOUT THE TERRIBLE GAME THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sideline

May 23, 2004
lol. Typical Fleury bashers. When Vokoun has a bad game, bombard the board with YouTube videos of Fleury.

You bumped this thread like Vokoun playing awful negates Fleury's long history or soft goals. I merely sought to reminded you of the glass house you throw stones from.

I could have posted all the game highlights from the playoffs last year, but that would be about 30 minutes of Fleury sucking. These three videos serve as a decent sample.

Read the GDT. I lite into Vokoun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad