Marc-Andre Fleury Appreciation Thread (Selected by Vegas in exchange for 2020 2nd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Why would I be upset that a guy who clearly knows nothing about sports, coaching or athletes wants to belittle the Pens best player this year in a MAF appreciation thread? It's pretty sad actually.

you should follow the thread a little more closely there MA,especially if you're going to comment on it.
to make it easy for you, I agreed with a poster who mentioned how much fluery disappointed over the last 5-6 years, no criticism on this past year.
thats when one of your co MAF excuse makers tried to dump the blame on his **** play on not having a goal tending coach

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Several knowledgeable people throughout the hockey world, Bob McKenzie and Pierre McGuire included, have pointed to Bales' influence on Fleury as a big reason for his turnaround.

Like it or not, goalie coaches are phenomenally important. That doesn't mean Fleury's some kind of dumbass. Every goalie will be the first to admit to the importance of their respective goalie coach.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Several knowledgeable people throughout the hockey world, Bob McKenzie and Pierre McGuire included, have pointed to Bales' influence on Fleury as a big reason for his turnaround.

Like it or not, goalie coaches are phenomenally important. That doesn't mean Fleury's some kind of dumbass. Every goalie will be the first to admit to the importance of their respective goalie coach.

damn right. i was saying 2 years before meloche was fired that he should go. Really for me it started with the Montreal game and technique wise some things that fleury did that were very iffy, imo.

Fleury literally outplayed Lundqvist, what more can we ask from him?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Fleury need confidence in himself and not worry about how the teams playing in front of him. He relied a lot on a faltering team in front of him. They failed him more than the other way around.

He was much better this season on all fronts, even when he did have some familiar let downs he battled right back.

The only other area I notice he does a lot, in practices he does all his goofing off like jumping jacks/push ups. That's fine and all here or there to break up the stale robot routine, but he should be more serious with his technique more often. To me it just seem like he wasn't taking it seriously enough. Raw talent/skill only gets you so far.

That kind of stuff just rubbed me the wrong way, and in light, kind of the country club effect, if you will.

Super stoked for him. He earned it.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
you should follow the thread a little more closely there MA,especially if you're going to comment on it.
to make it easy for you, I agreed with a poster who mentioned how much fluery disappointed over the last 5-6 years, no criticism on this past year.
thats when one of your co MAF excuse makers tried to dump the blame on his **** play on not having a goal tending coach

So you weren't pissing on MAF, in the MAF appreciation thread. You were just agreeing with someone who was pissing on him. Got it.

And you're clearly a fool if you don't understand the importance of coaching to athletes. You clearly have never played a sport in your life.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
pissing on him?

I agreed with someone who said he couldnt trust him completely until another excuse maker, like yourself, went into full defend mode.
or you can just READ THE ****ING THREAD .

never played a sport in my life. lol
try again skippy
when my coach showed me what to improve, I not only applied that in practice but on my own time

he had a goal tending coach and he was told to seek sports counseling. maybe he didnt take the coaching to heart and work at it like he should have, just like he didnt take the advice of going to seek a sports psychologist to heart until there was a breaking point... do it or you're gone

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Several knowledgeable people throughout the hockey world, Bob McKenzie and Pierre McGuire included, have pointed to Bales' influence on Fleury as a big reason for his turnaround. .

that same knowledgeable hockey mind said the 2 goals in game 1 of the ranger series were soft goals.
his defenders were quick to dismiss pierre as a quack though

nbonaddio

BELLOWS: THE BEST
Mar 28, 2007
I didnt realize a former #1 overall draft pick and vet the last several years needed to be coached to work on his game and weaknesses like rebound control, standing up more, and stop flopping around like a fish.

what was he working on then? his smile and his video game playing?

This is one of the most aggressively stupid replies I believe I've ever read on here, and that is saying something.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
that same knowledgeable hockey mind said the 2 goals in game 1 of the ranger series were soft goals.
his defenders were quick to dismiss pierre as a quack though

I genuinely don't understand your agenda. The first goal in game one was a terrible rebound, accompanied by some worse than beer league defense by our defenders and center. Blame to go around, for sure.

If you're implying that goal was so egregious that it lost us the whole series and MAF was anything but stellar for us in all five games, I just don't think there's any reason to reply any more, as there's simply no rational discussion to be had.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
so your saying no one in his 1st 10 years here told him/showed him to stand up more, work on his rebound control,be more in control instead of flopping

no, I'm saying no one in his first 10 years here effectively showed him HOW to improve on those things. He had clearly learned to play goalie by going down early and often, and to trust in his athleticism. If you tell him to stand up more, that doesn't tell him where to stand, where to position his glove or stick, where to lean, how long to actually keep standing or any of another 100 things that have to change about your game simply to satisfy the suggestion of "stand up more and be more in control."

A goalie coach who does nothing beyond telling his goalie what areas of his game need to be improved is going to do more harm than good. All that would accomplish is making the goalie overthink his weaknesses.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
so your saying no one in his 1st 10 years here told him/showed him to stand up more, work on his rebound control,be more in control instead of flopping

And I'm sure it's just a fluke that Bryz looked twice as good in Phoenix as he did anywhere else, or that Mike Smith went from "unclaimed on re-entry waivers" in Tampa to all-star in Phoenix in less than 12 months. -- The Sean Burke Effect on Coyotes goaltenders

How about Bobrovsky? He won the Vezina his first season with Columbus, and said he couldn't have done it without the changes made by goalie coach Ian Clark. -- From Backup to Best: Bobrovsky wins Vezina

Or, as I said earlier, Carey Price. He had a .916 SV% in the 2011-12 season and a .905 SV% in the 2012-13 season. Stephane Waite was name Canadiens' goalie coach on July 4, 2013; Price has prosted a .927 SV% (2013-14) and .933 SV% (2014-15) since then. -- Waite's influence, style tweaks have Price at new level

What about the other part of the equation - the sports psychologist? Senators goaltender Craig Anderson has said he wouldn't be playing hockey today if not for his sports psychologist. He was ready to quit hockey after getting bounced up and down between the AHL and NHL so much early in his career. He sought the help of a sports psychologist who helped get his head in the right place, which allowed him to eventually break into the NHL and become the goalie he is now.

The fact of the matter is, all athletes need help. Every golfer on the PGA tour, except for Bubba Watson, has an instructor and a sports psychologist. Every tennis player has a coach. Football teams have layers of coaching. Baseball teams have pitching coaches, hitting coaches, fielding coaches, and so on. You simply can't "watch yourself" and stay focused on playing the game - I've tried it. Once you get into your own head, it's over -- that's why you have people there to keep an eye on things for you.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Fleury need confidence in himself and not worry about how the teams playing in front of him. He relied a lot on a faltering team in front of him. They failed him more than the other way around.

He was much better this season on all fronts, even when he did have some familiar let downs he battled right back.

The only other area I notice he does a lot, in practices he does all his goofing off like jumping jacks/push ups. That's fine and all here or there to break up the stale robot routine, but he should be more serious with his technique more often. To me it just seem like he wasn't taking it seriously enough. Raw talent/skill only gets you so far.

That kind of stuff just rubbed me the wrong way, and in light, kind of the country club effect, if you will.

Super stoked for him. He earned it.

IIRC, he's either cut that stuff back tremendously or cut it out completely. They were talking about it earlier in the season - that he's been taking practices more seriously. Probably a combination of the psychologist and Bales on that one.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
pissing on him?

I agreed with someone who said he couldnt trust him completely until another excuse maker, like yourself, went into full defend mode.

try again skippy
when my coach showed me what to improve, I not only applied that in practice but on my own time

he had a goal tending coach and he was told to seek sports counseling. maybe he didnt take the coaching to heart and work at it like he should have, just like he didnt take the advice of going to seek a sports psychologist to heart until there was a breaking point... do it or you're gone

Meloche wasn't a coach. Some writers went so far as to call him a glorified cheerleader. He was there because he (a) was Mario's buddy, and (b) got along well with Fleury.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
pissing on him?

try again skippy

Pretty much everything you've said in the thread has been wrong and no one has agreed with you. You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Just admit it and move on.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
MAF was clearly the team mvp in the reg season and playoffs. He was outstanding this year. Personally I would have got rid of him a few years ago but perhaps this is the new normal for him. If this MAF could have shown up a few years ago the Pens probably would have won more than one cup with him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
MAF was clearly the team mvp in the reg season and playoffs. He was outstanding this year. Personally I would have got rid of him a few years ago but perhaps this is the new normal for him. If this MAF could have shown up a few years ago the Pens probably would have won more than one cup with him.

I still can't point at any one playoff year and say we would have likely won the Cup that year if Fleury was better. He was not our only big problem against either Montreal in 2010 or Philly in 2011. He was a big part of it, but he was far from alone. I can't see either of those two teams winning the Cup even with Fleury playing well. Tampa in 2012 was with Sid and Geno both hurt. And every year since we simply can't score. At this point, scoring has let us down as many times in the playoffs as goaltending has.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
damn right. i was saying 2 years before meloche was fired that he should go. Really for me it started with the Montreal game and technique wise some things that fleury did that were very iffy, imo.

Fleury literally outplayed Lundqvist, what more can we ask from him?

Whoa there.

In the past 8 playoff games against the Rangers, Fleury has given up the first goal 7 out of 8 times.

So 88% of the time, he's the goalie who is getting scored on first.

Giving up the first goal drastically decreases the chances of pulling out a win.

Lets not get carried away here. He's no Lundqvist - far from it.

Last edited:

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Whoa there.

In the past 8 playoff games against the Rangers, Fleury has given up the first goal 7 out of 8 times.

So 88% of the time, he's the goalie who is getting scored on first.

Giving up the first goal drastically decreases the chances of pulling out a win.

Lets not get carried away here. He's no Lundqvist - far from it.

Oh look, cassius is using misleading stats to try to prove a point. Pretty cool how the two SOs he had last year don't make the cut, lol.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Misleading stats? The #'s are what they are.

Not so much misleading as irrelevant. You chose a 8 game sample where the Penguins only managed to score 1 goal in 7 of the 8 games and then you tried to present it as proof that Fleury wasn't playing that well. Fleury was better than Lundqvist in the series this year. I realize you don't like MAF but give credit where it is due.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And yet you all respond to him. He proved what he was trying to do in the Lovejoy thread where he posted we should re-sign Lovejoy. When MAF was putting up huge games to give the Pens a chance, he never returned to his thread after the 1st goal of the Rangers series. He has no intention of disputing MAF's worth in a rational setting.

Seriously... don't fall for it. :laugh: Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad