Marc-Andre Fleury Appreciation Thread (Selected by Vegas in exchange for 2020 2nd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Crosby played well, Malkin shouldn't have been playing. Try again, champ.

His point was, the last 3 years we got knocked out because the 2 best players in the world couldn't score. Which is right. But everyone still blames MAF.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
His point was, the last 3 years we got knocked out because the 2 best players in the world couldn't score. Which is right. But everyone still blames MAF.

No it wasn't. His point was that Crosby and Malkin didn't play good enough this post season. It's pretty clear in his post.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Crosby, Malkin, and management have wasted 2 good years where Fleury was not the problem.

That's how we should be looking at it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Crosby played well, Malkin shouldn't have been playing. Try again, champ.

The greats elevate their game.

I see it from Toews, Getzlaf, Ovechkin, etc...I don't see it from Crosby and Malkin anymore, not the last 3yrs for sure. But the moment Fleury has 1 bad game, we have threads resurfacing about how he is the problem. That it's his job to make saves.

So why doesn't that same ****ing logic apply to Crosby and Malkin? They're generational talents in some people's eyes, they're considered 2 of the best centers in the game and are paid a premium for their skills. So when they don't score, like Malkin, or only put up 2 goals like Crosby, why don't they get the same flack that Fleury gets? Oh because he had a couple of years where he was terrible? So were Crosby and Malkin those years as well, but the last 2yrs, he's been vastly improved and has removed himself from the stink of those years and people still doubt him and are now only starting to give him some credit again becasue he's been able to get past his mental hurdles and adapt.

Crosby & Malkin...they deserve more blame than they get, when it's them not performing, we're quick to blame coaching, support, etc. Sid had Hornqvist, Malkin had Perron, they were not attached to Talbot, Fedotenko or Kunitz + Dupuis as their sole wingers.

Sick and tired of that sort of ******** mentality by most of our fans and media types.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
The Pens weren't winning the cup in any year since 2009 regardless of Fleury crappie the bed or not. He was a big reason in most years but far from the only one. He never blew anything because there was nothing to blow that wasn't goin to be blown by many others. They all blew.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008

I see it from Toews, Getzlaf, Ovechkin, etc...I don't see it from Crosby and Malkin anymore, not the last 3yrs for sure. But the moment Fleury has 1 bad game, we have threads resurfacing about how he is the problem. That it's his job to make saves.

So why doesn't that same ****ing logic apply to Crosby and Malkin? They're generational talents in some people's eyes, they're considered 2 of the best centers in the game and are paid a premium for their skills. So when they don't score, like Malkin, or only put up 2 goals like Crosby, why don't they get the same flack that Fleury gets? Oh because he had a couple of years where he was terrible? So were Crosby and Malkin those years as well, but the last 2yrs, he's been vastly improved and has removed himself from the stink of those years and people still doubt him and are now only starting to give him some credit again becasue he's been able to get past his mental hurdles and adapt.

Crosby & Malkin...they deserve more blame than they get, when it's them not performing, we're quick to blame coaching, support, etc. Sid had Hornqvist, Malkin had Perron, they were not attached to Talbot, Fedotenko or Kunitz + Dupuis as their sole wingers.

Sick and tired of that sort of ******** mentality by most of our fans and media types.

While I'm in agreement with you for the most part on Fleury, scapegoating Crosby and Malkin can be just as annoying.

Firstly, the greats elevate their game and then you give Ovechkin as an example?

The same Ovechkin that has 14 points in his last 26 playoff games, a - 5, and never made it out of the second round? That Ovechkin?

It's a team sport. The reason Toews seems to 'elevate' his game is simply because he's on the best team in the NHL over the past 5 years. He has as much support as one could hope for in the salary cap NHL. You can also say Kane, Hossa and Keith greatly elevate their games (and really, they're just playing well as a team). Toews has had his share of mediocre playoffs as well, including his second Stanley Cup.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I'd trade him now while his value is at an all time high personally. This team needs to change in a big way. Fleury is a valuable asset that could fetch a nice return.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I'd trade him now while his value is at an all time high personally. This team needs to change in a big way. Fleury is a valuable asset that could fetch a nice return.

Mmmmeh. What return realistically? None of our goalie prospects are close to being ready AFAIK even though they have promise (Murray, Mini-Jagr, etc). Don't want to rush those guys. So that means we need a goalie back in the trade. By definition the goalie will be a downgrade if we want anything else included.

Can't see it.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
nhlnumbers.com.

Niemi
Bernier
Fasth
Bryzgalov

Niemi is a not an upgrade although he's a decent goalie IMO. However his salary is already 3.8M cap hit. Niemi would neither improve the quality of our goalie, nor our cap situation.

Bernier has potential to be an upgrade but not a sure thing. His number is 2.9M, so while it's possible we might save a little money with him, it would be a small difference.

Fasth a downgrade and has a number similar to Bernier's right now. So no.

Bryzgalov is a joke / massive downgrade.

There is zero reason to think trading MAF and signing one of these guys will put us in a better situation (overall). Best you can say is with Bernier it *might* save us a little money and at least keep the level of goaltending / upside pretty high.

Last edited:

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Trade Fleury for a top 6 winger and or a pick, sign Niemi.

Boom - instantly this team gets better. This team has needed a shakeup for about 3 years and Fleury is probably one of the only assets we could move to facilitate that shakeup.

Also does anyone have the stats on how often fleury gives up the first goal in playoff games? Especially the past two playoff series against the rangers?

I feel like he almost always gives up the first goal during critical playoff games and that fact gets overlooked

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

Boom - instantly this team gets better.

Can't get there from here.

Scenario A - Top 6 winger. Our scoring gets better but our GA likely gets worse, especially in the regular season.
Scenario B - A Pick. Nothing happens to our scoring, and our GA likely gets a little worse.

And we save no money. Bad idea.

Bernier is probably a better way to do that than Niemi. He could arguably become as good as Fleury / has some upside, and will be a little cheaper too. Even so, I wouldn't do it. Not unless the winger was a ****ing stud like Tarasenko or something like that. Which will never happen.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012

But Crosby did play great. Still not sure why Malkin is in the conversation, he shouldn't have been on the ice to begin with.

Confounding Factor

It Was A Good Day
Oct 12, 2013
Pretty crazy that MAF winds up being the team's MVP. I never thought I'd say that Fleury played exceptionally well in the playoffs this year.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
More power to him I say. He's always been a very likable character, so when he adds rock-solid play... can't do anything but tip your hat to him and say it was right to give him another chance with a new coach.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014

Boom - instantly this team gets better. This team has needed a shakeup for about 3 years and Fleury is probably one of the only assets we could move to facilitate that shakeup.

Also does anyone have the stats on how often fleury gives up the first goal in playoff games? Especially the past two playoff series against the rangers?

I feel like he almost always gives up the first goal during critical playoff games and that fact gets overlooked

I'm sure Sharks fans will agree with you.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I'l give him his props, he had a heck of a playoffs.

But give me a break with all this stuff i see on twitter about MAF deserving better.

Hes blown so many playoffs for the pens in the past, i don't feel bad for MAF at all.

Awesome backhanded compliment, lol.

MAF was our best player this season by far. We don't make the POs without him and sure as shut don't lose by 1 in every game w/of him either.

MAF definitely deserved better from the team in front of him this year.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yep, ill echo others. MAF completely proved me wrong and has seemingly excised his playoff demons. Nothing to show for it, due to no offensive prowess, injuries, moronic coaching/FO etc....

He's our MVP and played really, really well and am glad to see him have some individual success.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009

if they didnt trade him when he was failing playoffs after playoffs, I don't think they'll look to trade him now that he's actually playing well in them. although I get your premise.
his value is at an all time high and the goalie position is an actual strength in the organization.
plus watching some of these goalies around the league do well (darling,mzark, talbot, bishop) makes me wonder if #1 types are not as hard to find as they once were

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
Fleury isn't getting traded, not after they've finally gotten it right (staff wise). The goalie situation is the one solitary aspect of this team that the management doesn't have to worry about at the moment.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Fleury isn't getting traded, not after they've finally gotten it right (staff wise). The goalie situation is the one solitary aspect of this team that the management doesn't have to worry about at the moment.

The starting goalie anyway. The back up is still up in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad