GDT: [Mar 2]8pm MT - SHIRTS OFF FOR KIPRUSOFF (oh and the Pens are here)

Is your shirt off for Kiprusoff?

• Yes

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Of Course

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
IMG_4348.jpeg

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Hopefully Zary not out long term and not significant.

Looked like a shoulder separation to me.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
How did Kylington look in the top 4?
He was pretty noticeable offensively. Got a few decent scoring chances, but they were pretty easy saves due to the velocity (or lack of) and him basically being at a fair distance with the goalie having a clear view.

He even went pretty deep in the Ozone a few times but got outmuscled.

Defensively, he was fine (I think?) I didn't see any real egregious mistakes. But to be honest it's easier for me to miss the defensive stuff.

Reactions: Fig

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I woke up this morning maybe 15min before the puck drop and thought why not watch the game. But I started to feel really tired at the end of the second period and that Pospisil penalty at the start of PP was such a bullshit call I went back to bed. When I woke up again, Flames had won and NHL.com didn't even have highlights. Well done by me.

Kipper is the reason I'm a Flames fan. I started following Flames games after his god-like start with the Flames, but only stat watching because we really didn't have access to games back then. At least for poor university students.

But poor university students like me have all the time they want, so when the playoffs started I was staying up all night listening to nhl.com radio broadcasts of games and playing Civilization II or something.

I didn't become a Flames fan then, but I started following the team because of Kipper. And at some point I realized it's not only Kipper, but also the team that I'm rooting for. So yeah, I'm a Flames fan now. I've been following hockey since I was a little kid, but never had a favourite team before that.

Memory is a funny thing, maybe something like 12 years before Kipper was traded to Flames, I was on a car ride back to home with my mom from our then-summer cottage. It was a Sunday on spring time, Liiga playoffs had started. The commentator said on the radio that as a surprise move, TPS have put this younger teenage brother of their star defender Marko Kiprusoff on goal. Of course that was an april's fools or somehing, but I still remember that being the first time I heard about him.

I've tried to track what year and date that could have been by looking at Liiga schedules that time, but I didn't find anything 100% certain. False memory at least partly, but still a good memory overall.

And then some random Kipper trivia. His real legal name is actually Kiprusov. Kiprusoff would be the common Finnish transliteration of his family's original Russian name (his grandfather emigrated from Russia to Finland), but for some reason, even though he goes by Kiprusoff, he never bothered to change his legal surname. I had a not-so-sure feeling about this, but another poster here gave a link to Finnish business records that confirms this.

I wondered why he wouldn't change his legal name, but then I realized it's Kipper I'm thinking, he probably just really doesn't care about stuff like that, it wouldn't have helped him stop any more pucks anyway.

The was a story on the biggest national newspaper here with couple of nice Kipper stories, not sure if they are anything new, but I'll translate and post them here sometimes later.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
So, some examples of Kippers sense of humour from the article I mentioned.

Finnish journalist asked Kipper in 2011 why is he playing so many games every year:
"Hey, my father works as a baker. Flames pay me $5M per year. I need to earn my paycheck"

Once Kipper allowed 4 goals in the first period against Carolina and was pulled. Flames were able to tie the game, but then Henrik Karlsson allowed one more goal and got the loss. 45 minutes after the game Kipper send SMS to Petteri Lehto (finnish agent) saying "that Swede doesn't know how to win!"

After Kipper was pointed with a laser during a game in 2010, he was asked was it a distraction. "No. But on the other hand, I usually make the saves eyes closed anyway."

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad