GDT: [Mar 2]8pm MT - SHIRTS OFF FOR KIPRUSOFF (oh and the Pens are here)

Is your shirt off for Kiprusoff?

• Yes

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Of Course

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
125439003_10158677883128704_4457116666796403611_n.jpg

FbmjvYoaIAEX10a

1378745526000-kipper-2004-fight.jpg

0302Miikka-Kiprusoff-spotlight-e1709308088980.jpg

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I didn't go to a large number of games as a kid.

I basically have one memory of watching Kiprusoff live at the Dome. I was up in the nose bleeds where you get such a great view of the play developing. A 2-on-1 developed against the Flames which was like watching a crash in slow motion, the pass to the back door opened up, the pass went across, everyone is ready for the Flames to get scored on... and then Kipper is suddenly sliding across the ice in full splits like he was shot out of a cannon and denies it with the blocker outstretched.

I watched his whole career on TV basically, but that moment is the one that sticks out.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
It was very difficult to watch nhl in Slovakia in late '90s but that was my beginning, the joy of such sport at the highest level- ice hockey. Enjoying players like Sakic, Forsberg, Modano, Hull, Kariya, Roy and then enjoying our first wave of talent since we established ourself as a Republic of 4.5 mil inhabitants in 93 ..players like Satan, Svehla, Hossa, Bondra, Palffy, Zednik, Hossa, Visnovsky, Handzus, Stumpel, Demitra, Chara, Gaborik were becoming more noticeable across the league and this triggered more games being televised domestically, especially in early noughties...

That's the period when I was able to, for the first time, notice Kipper.

I was in my second year at uni in 2004, we went out with the boys to our local pub and they were replaying one of the matches between the Flames and Tampa in SC final.

Boys were talking the usual beer stuff and I was pretending to listen, whilst being totally obsessed with the TV and this guy in net.

He was magnificent, every acrobatic sequence he made looked so simple yet it was a masterpiece. He was so fast, so fearless and so poised at the same time.

Those guys playing infront of him had a wall behind them, an unbelievable foundation and platform to do well. Shame it did (n't) work out that year or for the rest of his career.

Some top guns just can't put hands on that metal, it's all written in the stars.

Thanks Mika and enjoy your moment tonight!

Fun fact- relatively unknown Slovakian player Martin "Cibby" Cibak won the Cup that year, minor player who played a checking line role for Tampa.

Last edited:

IharRB

Dec 17, 2023
Boys were talking the usual beer stuff and I was pretending to listen, whilst being totally obsessed with the TV and this guy in net.

H

Do the first picks of the 2022 draft Juraj Slafkovsky and Szymon Nemec influence broadcasts?

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Do the first picks of the 2022 draft Juraj Slafkovsky and Szymon Nemec influence broadcasts?
I think they do, our nation loves ice hockey- it is still our no 1 collective sport.

But I have been living in the UK for almost 2 decades so really tough to be super accurate. Slaf is becoming the best pick of 2022, especially in 2024.

We have been having a great national GM in Satan for a while now and ex-Bruin/Thrasher coach in Craig Ramsey from 2017.

Great great people and new system that is aiming to help, promote pure talent, not talentless kids from rich families from near past....

Our juniors keep fighting Canada past years in elimination rounds and keep coming short in OTs but soon! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tofveve and IharRB

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Fwiw I just heard on hnic that despite our game being an 8pm MST start (7pm PST for me and my fellow BC boys) the Kipper ceremony will be on snet360 at 620 MST (520pm PST) or 1hr40 mins before game time. Rare occurrence that me thinks. Hope fans going to the game last minute are aware.

As far as the man himself I grew up a Vernon fan as a young boy and was completely mesmorized by Kipper when he came here. Known simply as "Kipper fuq face" by my Canucks loving friends out here in BC, he stymied them on many occasions. Will always love the shy to media but a riot to friends Kippy. What a beauty.
34 to the rafters. Wonderful.

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Congrats to Kipper, overdue tbh

might miss the first bit but hopefully the team records the whole ceremony and puts it up on the website.
Not sure I'm ready for a post Tanev world, hopefully Kylington can handle the extra workload.
Yeah I imagine it'll be up on the site and or YouTube for sure. Too iconic a moment otherwise.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I honestly think Kiprusoff should be a HHOFer but unfortunately goalie standards are much harder for some reason.

I did a poll a few months ago comparing him to Carey Price who is almost definitely going to be inducted, and their Vezina record and top 10 sv% placements are very comparable. It seems most users agreed too. Price won in the end, but the poll results were pretty damn close

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
This just makes me depressed we have Kadri and Huberdeau now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad