Confirmed with Link: (Mar. 1) Mark Streit traded to Tampa Bay for Valtteri Filppula, 4th + 7th Round Picks

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
that does not factor into the point that i am making. he is not a 2nd line center. he is a shutdown center. no doubt about that, he does very well against tough competition, but he doesn't produce on the other end of the ice.

Your point is ****ed because there is no reason a shutdown center can't be a second line center. It's logically failed from the start.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
How obsessed with Couturier do you have to be to be posting about his supposed lack of offensive production in a Filppula thread during a game where Couturier scored the Flyers only goal by getting to the net and making a nice deflection. :laugh:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Wait, wait I've seen this type of thing before.....

Deep down he has an erotic fixation on Couturier and is lashing out because he cannot admit to himself the truth.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
12-13 295
13-14 209
14-15 262
15-16 61 <--- anomaly
16-17 291

This is sean courturier's rank among forwards with 100 minutes played for points per 60 minutes 5 v 5.

nothing about those rankings scream 2nd line shutdown center.

giphy.gif

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
How obsessed with Couturier do you have to be to be posting about his supposed lack of offensive production in a Filppula thread during a game where Couturier scored the Flyers only goal by getting to the net and making a nice deflection. :laugh:

I would put it differently. How obsessed with Couturier do you have to be to be posting about his supposed lack of offensive production in a Filppula thread and when someone wants to talk Giroux, you tell em to start a new thread and to focus on Couturier in the Filppula thread.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
How has he worked out for you guys? Kind of stopped following him when we went on a run.

Was never his biggest fan, but he's a good hockey player.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
How has he worked out for you guys? Kind of stopped following him when we went on a run.

Both Giroux and Simmonds expressed generous remarks regarding Filppula at the end-of-season media session today.

While others on HF may reply, here is an article from this week regarding your question.

The March 1 acquisition of second-line center Valtteri Filppula gave the Flyers' lines much more balance, greatly improved their five-on-five play, and jump-started Sean Couturier during the team's final 20 games.

For those reasons, it wouldn't be surprising if general manager Ron Hextall bypassed the free-agent market, which isn't exactly overflowing with the Flyers' biggest offseason need: proven scorers.

Winger T.J. Oshie, who played for Flyers coach Dave Hakstol at North Dakota, will be the best free agent in an underwhelming class. But it's doubtful the Flyers will be able to afford Oshie, who scored a career-high 33 goals (cha-ching) for Washington this season.

After Filppula arrived, the Flyers went 10-7-3 and outscored opponents, 43-29, in even-strength situations. They were outscored by a 127-88 margin before Filppula was acquired with fourth- and seventh-round draft picks in the deal that sent Mark Streit to Tampa Bay. Streit was then dealt to Pittsburgh.

For the most part, Filppula centered a line that had Wayne Simmonds and Jordan Weal as his wingers. Weal was impressive after being recalled from the AHL's Phantoms, collecting eight goals and 12 points in 23 games.

The additions of Weal and Filppula gave the Flyers some much-needed offensive depth.

"It allowed us to spread the lines out and bring more to our attack," said Simmonds, who led the Flyers with 31 goals. "Both of those guys have been able to fill multiple roles, and I've had the pleasure of playing with them for the last couple weeks. They added a lot of skill while playing well defensively, hard on the puck. They allowed us to do different things and tinker with the lineup."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...phia_Flyers_balanced_lines_even_strength.html

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Filppula didn't play that great, though he improved as he settled in, but with him and Weal, we finally could field three lines that made sense.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Filpula played well I think. He isn't a stud, but he was never expected to be. Brought a much-needed presence to the lineup.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Filpula played well I think. He isn't a stud, but he was never expected to be. Brought a much-needed presence to the lineup.

Brought puck skills and intelligence to the 3rd line. He's a good player. Perfect placeholder for Rubtsov, who is similar in many ways.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Filppula was mediocre at best.

20 games with the Flyers, 5 goals (1 was an EN), 3 assists, 8 points, -2, 23 shots, in 17:07 per night. Also ranks last among all Flyers with a 45.56 CF%.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Read MiamiScreamingEagles post. Ignore the less intelligent ones.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Filppula was mediocre at best.

20 games with the Flyers, 5 goals (1 was an EN), 3 assists, 8 points, -2, 23 shots, in 17:07 per night. Also ranks last among all Flyers with a 45.56 CF%.

Even at mediocrity, he brought elements that were sorely needed in the lineup. I think the most noticeable impact per my eyes was in transition. His line became trickier to defend as they moved up ice.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
He did bring value to the lineup and allowed Couturier to regain confidence. I wish the trade was ahead of the ED though, not the trade deadline.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Even at mediocrity, he brought elements that were sorely needed in the lineup. I think the most noticeable impact per my eyes was in transition. His line became trickier to defend as they moved up ice.

The trade also allowed Couts and Fatso to be reunited.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Overpaid for what he is, but he fills a need. His presence improves our line-up. Considering that he only has one more year remaining on his contract, I can live with that.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's because the tweet is coming from the guy in the picture with Filppula.

It confused me for a second too, to be honest. Only figured it out when I realized the guy in the picture is also in that twitter accounts profile picture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad