Confirmed with Link: (Mar. 1) Mark Streit traded to Tampa Bay for Valtteri Filppula, 4th + 7th Round Picks

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Deathly serious.

So serious that at this point I'd say Weal would be a better defensemen than Streit.

Hey... that's cool if you really feel that way, and I'm not going to drag this out.

I just don't really understand why... There is such a minimal risk by Montreal... nothing more than one allotted System Player... he can be buried in the AHL at no Cap Hit and would have to earn his meager Bonus to get any if it -- which is actually a good thing since it means he hits one or more of goals laid out for him -- I thought you were kidding since he is signed to a One Year Contract which is the lowest Contract you could give a )Player in the NHL short of a TryOut.

If Montreal feels comfortable in giving him basically a no promise shot in the hopes that he can add something to their Team, then why not give it a go?... It would be less of a risk than the Pens gave him in a much more important and risky situation as a Depth D-man... they couldn't bury him at Season's end... and the Pens won the Cup; granted, he was not near an important part of it... but could have been if certain situations arose.

It's no skin off my nose, as he is not a part of MY Team... I'd just like a loyal soldier to get one last shot... if he is not ready to hand it up... Not quite as much as I wanted for Kimmo, but I wish the best for him as long as it doesn't hurt the Flyers.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm just exaggerating to illustrate how bad I think he is. He was good for a while here, but last year showed he's a corpse at this point. Bad offensively, bad defensively, bad decision making, bad skating. Im actually happy Montreal signed him because it'll upset their fans as soon as they start seeing what he's become. It's just unfortunate he didn't get signed by a rival to help us out.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I'd rather have Streit's corpse over Manning.

Hell at that price/term I'd trade McDonald for him.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
It is funny to think that Streit couldn't get his butt out of our top 4, while Ghost was clearly used behind him. Now he's barely hanging on. But Hakstol trusted him way more than Ghost, even in defensive situations.

Well hak is brain dead so thats no surprise....hell he even thinks amac is a top 3 dman in this league, when in reality hes a low 6 and a mediocre 7

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It is funny to think that Streit couldn't get his butt out of our top 4, while Ghost was clearly used behind him. Now he's barely hanging on. But Hakstol trusted him way more than Ghost, even in defensive situations.

It's not surprising, Streit knew what to do, just couldn't do it.
Ghost, until he got healthy, not only didn't know what to do but was a step behind when he gambled.

Ghost did improve defensively toward the end of the season, using his body instead of his stick (i.e. proper positioning) in shadowing his man. There's a reason Sanheim spent a year in the AHL. You work on your lack of fundamentals in the AHL, not the NHL.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I'm just exaggerating to illustrate how bad I think he is. He was good for a while here, but last year showed he's a corpse at this point. Bad offensively, bad defensively, bad decision making, bad skating. Im actually happy Montreal signed him because it'll upset their fans as soon as they start seeing what he's become. It's just unfortunate he didn't get signed by a rival to help us out.

Fair enough... BTW; I wasn't suggesting that I thought the Flyers should have signed him at this point, and how he now is... I'm merely saying that if Montreal feels that he can help them, then the gamble has little downside with the Contract as it is.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Welp... Habs GM Officially closes door on bringing back Markov... Markov killed the Golden Goose with his demands... $6M/2Yr. :shakehead

Which would have been perfectly reasonable.

Also, Markov said he would have signed for 1 year.

Bergevin is terrible.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Bergevin is terrible.

Yup.

Especially when trading Serg who really should have been replacing Markov. They could have signed Markov for 1-2 years and then let Serg naturally take over in 2018/19.

Lost Markov and Radulov
Added Streit and Hemsky

Ouch.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yup.

Especially when trading Serg who really should have been replacing Markov. They could have signed Markov for 1-2 years and then let Serg naturally take over in 2018/19.

Lost Markov and Radulov
Added Streit and Hemsky

Ouch.

To be fair, they added Alzner (and to a lesser extent Schlemko) too..although they will regret that in like 2 years.

I saw a Tweet earlier that Montreal is paying Petry and Alzner more than the Hurricanes are paying their entire defense :laugh:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009

Bergevin is terrible.

I wasn't aware of that... Was that at his scheduled news conference that Bergevin mentioned?

At his age I thought the $6M was a lot for two years... however, signing one year at a time Contracts... if a second was still good for them... made a lot more sense for the Habs.

Seems like they either were set on a lower amount this time around... or that they merely wanted to cut ties with him.

In any case, it seems to have opened the door a bit for Streit to prove he still has something in the tank... that is, if he still indeed does.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Bergevin is terrible.

The explanation of Streit over Markov could be a matter of cap hit, not term.

I read on Twitter today that they could be working on something that would require cap space.

EDIT- Found it

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009

I read on Twitter today that they could be working on something that would require cap space.

EDIT- Found it

I think it's obvious that in this case the Cap certainly comes into play... All things being equal, they have to opt for Markov over Streit.

The term length comes into play with Markov I believe is due to the over 35 Rule and the huge dead space if Markov proves to have nothing left in the tank; $12M dead Cap vs $700K with Streit is a monumental difference.

This does bring up a question that I just now thought of... With the Over 35 Rule a Team is responsible for the Cap hit on a Player who is signed after that Age if he retires or is hurt... That being the case, if Streit gets sent down, would his $700K be not counted against the Cap as the normal case... or, because of the Over 35 Rule, would the Habs have to be penalized and have it count? I don't believe that has ever came up in the NHL since the Rule came into effect... Does anyone know how the Rule wording is on just such a case?

Last edited:

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
To be fair, they added Alzner (and to a lesser extent Schlemko) too..although they will regret that in like 2 years.

I saw a Tweet earlier that Montreal is paying Petry and Alzner more than the Hurricanes are paying their entire defense :laugh:

That statement is about as relevant as claiming that Philly is paying their 4th line more than Matthews is getting. Just different contract situations to be even comparable. However I hope Canes actually pay their defense. They can't make it out of the bottom if they don't pay their talent and if they can't afford to keep their talent they cannot make it out of the bottom of the league and subsequently get into stable situation money wise.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016

EDIT- Found it

I know of a certain right winger who "plays with and edge and goes to the net" lol or they can take Amac and finish building that ideal dead puck era blue line.:yo:
On the other hand if anyone can get something out of those guys than it's definitely Julien.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
if the habs didnt start 10-0 last year they would have struggled to even make the playoffs. with the moves they've made, I really don't see them making it this year unless price plays absolutely out of his mind. only 3 teams from the Atlantic are likely going to make it again imo and leafs, sens, bolts, and Bruins are all better on paper. then young teams like Florida and buffalo should also be better this year than last year. i think Montreal has a better shot at finishing in the bottom 3 of their division than the top 3. the moves they've made in the last few years are pretty baffling. they aren't bonafide Stanley cup contenders but they also don't have much in young talent either to be retooling on the fly. they are set up to be stuck in mediocrity for the next few years where they aren't awful enough to get top 5 or even top 10 picks but not talented enough or have enough depth to be legitimate cup contenders.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I bet the guys on their board would tell you different. You just don't know hockey so you cant understand how good their prospects are.:sarcasm:

I suppose they could do something around Galchenyuk and a 1st but I think Colorado really wants a top young dman for Duchene and Montreal just traded their only prospect with that potential for Drouin :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00