Maple Leafs Window Closed...

Has the window closed...

• Total voters

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The Canucks played the Wild who can't score and the Blues who were awful the first 2 games and didn't win a game in the bubble until last night.

Neither can Columbus and yet they’re still playing games while our boys are back home with their thumbs up their asses.

I think they are in a bit of a different situation than us who played Columbus who give everyone a lot of serious trouble and have the best goalie in the playoffs right now.

Columbus is not unbeatable. Even with Korpisalo playing out of his mind, we went up 3-0 on him and the Jackets in game 3 and blew it. Leafs lack the killer instinct necessary to close out series, hell they can’t even close out individual games. Canucks stopped a Wild comeback in game 2.

Can't just say look at x team they are getting it done when everyone faces different situations. They are also gonna be in a terrible situation having to resign Petey and Hughes to 10+ each. Hughes could get one of the highest contracts in the history of d men the way he is playing and the way their fans talk about him...

For all we know Pettersson and Hughes could take much better deals than our young guys did. Not every good young player is destined to sign a $10 million plus contract, only in Toronto is that assumed. Hell they could take bridges which, while it just kicks the can down the road, would allow them to hold on to their supporting cast who’ve been good to great for them during this little run of theirs.

In any case, regardless of all the off ice stuff, the Canucks are just flat out playing better than the Leafs did these playoffs. Say whatever you want about upcoming contracts, that team has bought in and is playing playoff style hockey. Leafs haven’t shown anything like that over a decent stretch. Just in spurts, only to regress right after.

Auston Richard

Feb 27, 2020
The Canucks played the Wild who can't score and the Blues who were awful the first 2 games and didn't win a game in the bubble until last night.

I think they are in a bit of a different situation than us who played Columbus who give everyone a lot of serious trouble and have the best goalie in the playoffs right now.

Can't just say look at x team they are getting it done when everyone faces different situations. They are also gonna be in a terrible situation having to resign Petey and Hughes to 10+ each. Hughes could get one of the highest contracts in the history of d men the way he is playing and the way their fans talk about him...
I remember the first playoffs was Presidents trophy Capitals and the leafs were full of rookies. Lots of excuses after the loss... but fair enough.

Next playoffs was Boston after a franchise leading 105 point season. Still young, and Boston was simply a better team. Lots of excuses after the loss... but fair enough.

Next playoffs was Boston again... but we added Tavares and the core were a year older. Disappointing loss... but it was the freaking Bruins. Lots of excuses after the loss... but the excuses are now getting tiresome.

But now Columbus... Columbus... and we're still hearing the same old excuses? Columbus? If a loss to the 9th place team in the east is still seen as "not the leafs fault", then who in heavens name would be a reasonably fair playoff foe for the leafs?

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
I remember the first playoffs was Presidents trophy Capitals and the leafs were full of rookies. Lots of excuses after the loss... but fair enough.

Next playoffs was Boston after a franchise leading 105 point season. Still young, and Boston was simply a better team. Lots of excuses after the loss... but fair enough.

Next playoffs was Boston again... but we added Tavares and the core were a year older. Disappointing loss... but it was the freaking Bruins. Lots of excuses after the loss... but the excuses are now getting tiresome.

But now Columbus... Columbus... and we're still hearing the same old excuses? Columbus? If a loss to the 9th place team in the east is still seen as "not the leafs fault", then who in heavens name would be a reasonably fair playoff foe for the leafs?

I am saying don't compare our team to Vancouver who played Minnesota who is a bottom level team in the play ins and the Blues who hadn't won a game in the bubble and are playing bad.

It is not a good comparison. At the end of the day I don't think we played poorly, I think we didn't have the right personnel to take is to the next round because our team was easily exploited on the back end after Muzzin went down.

It's not excuses I am just making a fair observation based on the difference in both series having watched every game in both teams playoff time.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013

Completely agreed. This year should have been no excuses. Especially to a team like Columbus.

Sooner or later, there’s going to be excuses for losing to a beer league team.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I am saying don't compare our team to Vancouver who played Minnesota who is a bottom level team in the play ins and the Blues who hadn't won a game in the bubble and are playing bad.

It is not a good comparison. At the end of the day I don't think we played poorly, I think we didn't have the right personnel to take is to the next round because our team was easily exploited on the back end after Muzzin went down.

It's not excuses I am just making a fair observation based on the difference in both series having watched every game in both teams playoff time.

Minnesota is 9th in league since middle of November, 4th in the west.

Auston Richard

Feb 27, 2020

I'm not sure if the Muzzin injury is that good of an excuse. The leafs were 1-2 in the games he played. I'm really not sure if it's fair to chalk it all up to our 2nd/3rd D going down for 2 games...

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Personally, the past is the past and all I can judge is the people involved right now.

Shanahan took over a mess.

The 'core' all had trade clauses meaning these players would of only reported to winning teams. Winning teams already have players in that role and have Cap issues. Maybe you're lucky to find a team that could take on one of these players... you're retaining salary. We're still paying Kessel because of this. Some of these 'asset' inherited like David Clarkson and Dion Phaneuf, you might as well call them a net negative. The only way you're getting rid of them is either the other team is dumber then you are, it saves them money, or you ride out their contact. The rest? Blah.
Simply put, Shanahan would of been 100x better starting off with an expansion franchise. Really look 2014-15 Leafs... it was BAD. Look at the current roster. Tavares, Holl, Mikheyev signed. Matthew, Marner, Nylander, Johnsson, Engvall, Gauthier, Dermott, Sandin, Liljegren drafted. Hyman, Marincin, Campbell acquired through giving up picks or other prospects. I'm probably forgetting some, but the point is, we started with practically nothing. Rielly, Anderson and a couple of 3rd line players are about the only players we can track their lineage to coming from that past roster.

In my calculations, Toronto would need two NHL, playoffs-ready players added each year since Shanahan took over to be a serious contender. If Matthew has the exact same career as Steve Yzerman, the Leafs don't win a Cup until 2030. That's the reality of building a team.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
I'm not sure if the Muzzin injury is that good of an excuse. The leafs were 1-2 in the games he played. I'm really not sure if it's fair to chalk it all up to our 2nd/3rd D going down for 2 games...

Stop confusing excuses for statements and facts.

Muzzin being better than Marincin is a fact. His injury hurt us. Is it an excuse no. We didn't have depth to replace him which is part of playoffs.

At the end of the day our roster is the problem. We could have played amazing but players can only play to the limit of their potential. We could play amazing and still lose cuz we didnt have the right players.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Lol @ ppl thinking Matthews is gonna leave when this contracts up
They are entitled to their opinions. I personally would be surprised if he stays. Although he will be paid more than anyone so if he wants money he’ll stay. But it sounds like you know him personally and already know he will stay here.

Auston Richard

Feb 27, 2020
Stop confusing excuses for statements and facts.

Muzzin being better than Marincin is a fact. His injury hurt us. Is it an excuse no. We didn't have depth to replace him which is part of playoffs.

At the end of the day our roster is the problem. We could have played amazing but players can only play to the limit of their potential. We could play amazing and still lose cuz we didnt have the right players.
It's a fact and an excuse. Leafs were only 1-2 in the games he played. So it's not like he was the huge difference maker.

And why have so many 11 million dollar forwards if merely losing one 4 million dollar defensemen for 2 games is the difference between winning/losing a series against Columbus.

Reactions: Faltorvo

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
They are entitled to their opinions. I personally would be surprised if he stays. Although he will be paid more than anyone so if he wants money he’ll stay. But it sounds like you know him personally and already know he will stay here.

Why would he leave?

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Why would he leave?
To play on a contending team. Get away from media. Maybe to get closer to home. Tons of reasons. Why would he stay? Maybe because he will get paid more due to our incompetent manager. To think that he will stay here is actually laughable. I hope he stays but I wouldn’t be surprised if he leaves. There nothing laughable about it.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Why oh why do I keep opening threads like this.

There are probably people who don't even think it's opened yet.

None of AM, MM, WN are even in their prime yet. They are barely out of their entry level contracts.

Maybe. If this were true then (and I believed that Babcock and the team were a bit of a victim of their early success, including overpayments that followed), why was Babcock fired?

Clearly the owners and management believe this team should be on a constant, upward trajectory, when the first question I asked when Keefe was hired was "can he play D?"

The window isn't closed. It should be closed for this team in it's current incarnation though. Changes need to be made, some more major than others. Look back over the season, they rarely played desperate, and often with great inconsistency.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
It's a fact and an excuse. Leafs were only 1-2 in the games he played. So it's not like he was the huge difference maker.

And why have so many 11 million dollar forwards if merely losing one 4 million dollar defensemen for 2 games is the difference between winning/losing a series against Columbus.

Who cares about what there record was they played better with him the line up. Get over the 1-2 record.

Are we better with him in the line up or not? Are you saying since we went 1-2 with him and 1-1 without him ( all goals scored in a 4 minute period + overtime) that Marincin is better?

Muzzin is the heart of our defence and the only guy who plays the type of hockey we need to play on the back end to win games in the playoffs.

AND 11 million dollar forward Auston Matthews was one of the best players in the ENTIRE play in round. Contrary to popular belief... Matthews Marner and Tavares were not the problem. They all put up numbers and performed.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Who cares about what there record was they played better with him the line up. Get over the 1-2 record.

Are we better with him in the line up or not? Are you saying since we went 1-2 with him and 1-1 without him ( all goals scored in a 4 minute period + overtime) that Marincin is better?

Muzzin is the heart of our defence and the only guy who plays the type of hockey we need to play on the back end to win games in the playoffs.

AND 11 million dollar forward Auston Matthews was one of the best players in the ENTIRE play in round. Contrary to popular belief... Matthews Marner and Tavares were not the problem. They all put up numbers and performed.
1-1 with Muzzin and 1-2 without is their actual record fwiw

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Lol the team is young so its not closed....

But Dubas really needs to fix the terrible defense than we will see progrees. The players still need more experience

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Stand corrected.

Still, not exactly like the leafs were dominating the series when Muzzin went down.

It was close and that was a key difference maker that swayed it. You are completely underestimating having your top shut down defender out with AHL depth to replace him.

Also, game 2 was absolute domination by the leafs.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Championship pursuits are volatile. Too much talk of comparisons and windows. I think alot of people had hoped Toronto would be the next Chicago or LA, when instead they're likely to be more like Washington... Or fizzle completely. Who knows?

Im pretty disappointed with the current state of the team and their results, but I disagree that some kind of window is closed. The organization took alot of L's this year. IMO it's clear the team is missing an element or two, but they still have a good foundation in place. Some smart moves and they'll rebound from this.

Inaction and complacency though... Well, we better get excited for our next 1st OVA in 30 years.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This team has been exposed. Its soft as butter. All the skill didn’t score, would get its nose dirty. Trying to skill goals in the playoffs is not going to happen near as much as reg season. Its a problem. T bay adjusted and fixed it already. Boston and Columbus showed a weak under belly.

Now it seems clear emough. Window is not closed. That’s hilariously defeatist thinking. Needs change right through the roster

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Has the “window” officially closed for the Maple Leafs? Now that it is very evident that there will be No success with this core and goaltending. I know there was talk of this “window” a few years back. Looks like it has been boarded shut now.

Can we officially say it is a failed rebuild. Does this core need to be torn torn and rebuilt.

Thoughts?
Lol....

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I hear Snow White just drafted the Smurfs to play along side her 7 dwarfs , should be a tight series with these Leafs .

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00