Maple Leafs Window Closed...

Has the window closed...

• Total voters

Mar 26, 2010
Has the “window” officially closed for the Maple Leafs? Now that it is very evident that there will be No success with this core and goaltending. I know there was talk of this “window” a few years back. Looks like it has been boarded shut now.

Can we officially say it is a failed rebuild. Does this core need to be torn torn and rebuilt.

Thoughts?

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
Way too early for this. We have quite a few really good young pieces to build around with a lot of upside and value on the trade market if needed.

Some significant changes to balance the team are clearly required, but to say this core is incapable of winning just isn't the case.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The window hasn't closed because it wasn't open. This team is not a contender. Should it be this point in time? Probably, but it is not. Will it be a contender in the next several years? Maybe, but I have my doubts. As Jeff O'Neill said last night (or thereabouts) a lot of changes need to be made for this team to be a real contender.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Has the “window” officially closed for the Maple Leafs? Now that it is very evident that there will be No success with this core and goaltending. I know there was talk of this “window” a few years back. Looks like it has been boarded shut now.

Can we officially say it is a failed rebuild. Does this core need to be torn torn and rebuilt.

Thoughts?
Brother, you can't close something that never opened.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
As angry / frustrated / deflated as we currently are, it's important to note that the core's best years are still to come - Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Rielly are still going to get better.

As long as that's the case, the window is still open.

However, this current roster construction needs a serious re-think. Without a complete shift in philosophy by Dubas and co., this team won't even open the window

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Way too early for this. We have quite a few really good young pieces to build around with a lot of upside and value on the trade market if needed.

Some significant changes to balance the team are clearly required, but to say this core is incapable of winning just isn't the case.
No, this core is clearly incapable , given their cap implications

A "great core" but lacking the cheap fringe pieces(team) should at the very least get out into the POs and out of the first round

Reactions: LeafsRus and biotk

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
No, this core is clearly incapable , given their cap implications

A "great core" but lacking the cheap fringe pieces(team) should at the very least get out into the POs and out of the first round

A loss of one player from Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Rielly, Andersen I don't think should be considered replacing the core, and I think replacing Marner with $11m of help on defense makes this team much much better immediately.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I didn't expect any different of a reaction from this emotionally charged fanbase, but the simple answer is no. This was the second year of this core (Matthews/Tavares/Marner/Nylander). The window is far from closed for them. Tearing down the core and rebuilding at this point would only set the franchise further back, and result in the exact same thing - more losses than wins, more disappointments than victories, but ultimately, hopefully, a Cup or two over the long haul. Two seasons is not the long haul.

Do you look at changing the roster around the core? Absolutely. Do you look at trying to move on one player from the core (I'm namely thinking Marner - the player whose contributions least align with his cap hit)? Sure. Tearing the entire team down to rebuild again though is incredibly stupid.

Reactions: 4thline

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
In Yzerman's first year, Mike Bossy scored the Cup winning goal for the Islanders. Oilers won five Cups, Montreal two, Doug Gilmour scored the winner for Calgary, Rangers, Devils, Colorado. So Yzerman's window didn't open until he was 32 and went on to win three Cups.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
A loss of one player from Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Rielly, Andersen I don't think should be considered replacing the core, and I think replacing Marner with $11m of help on defense makes this team much much better immediately.
out of the names you listed i want Marner and Nylander gone for rhs D and cap relief

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Oh for sure yes, with a 22 year old franchise center.

Jesus Christ.
lol exactly. What do people want us to do? Trade Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Tavares for first round picks, suck for the next 3-5 years, and then do the whole thing over again with four new franchise players? People need a little more patience lol. Not every team is going to be Pittsburgh and go on a run in the second & third seasons of playoff contention. You have more 90s Red Wings and 00s Capitals.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
So this is like, what, the 12th frustration thread in the past 2 days?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs window was open widest when the 3 Amigos were on their ELC contracts all making < $1 mil and you could build a powerhouse around them using all that free cap space.

Since paying your own players more $$ and use more cap only weakens the team around you .. When you spend 1/2 you cap on only 4 forwards you are a top heavy team that lack balance and secondary support and you turn from a contender to pretender now. (if you even make the playoffs that is).

So in terms of competitiveness the Leafs are much worse now and in cap hell and already traded their 1st away which are life blood of adding highend talent a ELC Levels.

Watching from the sidelines as the 16 other teams compete for the Cup is a closed window and that isn't even debatable as you have Zero chance to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad