GDT: Maple Leafs vs Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
This lineup against the Caps is what I expect the Leafs to look like for Game 1 of the playoffs. Holl sitting for Liljegren, and a rough energizer 4th line for when the game takes an inevitably bumpy turn. Of course that's with the assumption that Kase doesn't return, and Knies doesn't sign.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Generally agree, but I do think Spezza is in for one of Clifford or Simmonds. Seems clear to me that Knies is returning to Minnesota for another season unless unrealistic things are promised... which I don't think this organization is one to do.

As much as I want this to be our D setup... for whatever reason, Keefe likes Holl's size.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Hainsey and Lub stop da cycle and clear da net front .. Holl just doesn't do those key jobs for Rielly (who can't) .. Holl and Rielly would be an unmitigated disaster from a defensive perspective
It's a weird thing I've noticed with Holl's usage is that 90% of the time he's always deployed with one of our best defensive guys - be it Muzzin or Brodie.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I would expect the leafs to dress some heavier bodies tonight. Biunce back game. Go lwafs

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I've said this a million times this season but it would sure be nice to have Jared McCann for another option at center this season or even another winger. Seems like he'd have great chemistry with Willy.

Attachments

• 1649953896160.png
    1649953896160.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
A #4 defenseman at a good cost that was justifiably protected at the expansion draft now doesn't have a guaranteed spot on our defense, because we took a defense that was already top-5 and stacked it further. Surely anybody that subscribes to the myth that "defense wins championships" must love Dubas.
Unfortunately it was at the cost of having to settle for atrocious goal tending.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Keefe finally decided to scratch Holl? It shouldn't have taken this long.

Now that Toronto is facing a good team, does that mean they'll actually show up for this one? That last debacle against Buffalo is what keeps them from having home ice advantage locked down already. It also keeps them from closing out teams in elimination games. They need to have that killer instinct, mindset and effort every single game. They'll need to as they don't have the goaltending depth that other teams do to save them in a pinch.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Caps lead the NHL in Road point% by a significant margin.... they also lead the NHL in Road point% last year..... and the year before that.

This isn't going to be an easy game

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
part of me wonders.... if we had held on to Freddie and he had the same season he is having with the Canes with us; I'd be so much at ease heading into playoffs. Oh well....

lol.. Freddy DID put up seasons like that here. He had a terrible October with .700 goaltending and then played at .950sv% for months on end every year.

And then, without fail, Freddy became October Freddy the moment the games mattered. Why are we concerned that he was let go exactly? Until he wins something I don't care, because he won't. Carolina better hope to avoid game 7's

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Unfortunately it was at the cost of having to settle for atrocious goal tending.
We didn't settle for atrocious goaltending. We got atrocious goaltending for a stretch from goaltenders playing well below their capabilities.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Last game I watched caps go up against s good team (Bruins I think?) Caps were gooning it up like crazy so yeah dress the tough guys in what is essentially a meaningless game at this point.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
part of me wonders.... if we had held on to Freddie and he had the same season he is having with the Canes with us; I'd be so much at ease heading into playoffs. Oh well....
This fanbase has short term memory, I swear. Can we also take their coaching, defensive strategy and defence?

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Habs fan here, I think if soupy plays like he did last spring you guys will be in pretty good shape! Maybe in the off season a PTO for Dubnyk might be in order. Big guys deserves a shot, nothing to lose in my opinion. Just sayin

Reactions: Ciao and thinkblue

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It's a weird thing I've noticed with Holl's usage is that 90% of the time he's always deployed with one of our best defensive guys - be it Muzzin or Brodie.
Holl can play for most teams in a 6th/7th role IF IF IF he plays a VERY simple defensive game .. his main issue outside of AHL skating, which is a big issue, is he gets to thinking he can be Bobby Orr in his playmaking and then we get in a dump load of issues in our own end .. he would be smart to play a very simple up da boards and out kinda game and then learn to use his size to stop cycles and clear da net front .. IF IF IF he focuses on changing his game he could play another 5 years in league BUT my guess is he will be completely gone from league after his contract ends as he can't seem to stop himself

Reactions: IPS

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
God damn it, why do all Toronto teams have to be so good? Can't decide what to watch tonight. Leafs or Jays?
Definitely a flip back and forth night. Generational goal scorer or generational hitter? How cool is it to have 2 of the very best in their sport right here in TO? Good fun indeed. Vladdy put up 3 last night, hope Matty was watching. :cool:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Definitely a flip back and forth night. Generational goal scorer or generational hitter? How cool is it to have 2 of the very best in their sport right here in TO? Good fun indeed. Vladdy put up 3 last night, hope Matty was watching. :cool:
This quite frankly is da only upside to not be at Scotiabank arena tonight .. OMG so many people I know getting Omicron now it is crazy .. but good news it seems to be much more mild then what I had

Reactions: budzz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad