Post-Game Talk: Maple Leafs vs Boston Bruins 7 PM CBC

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Kadri's reputation is now proceeding him about knowing how to trick the refs into awarding penalties as he draws more then most players.

Unfortunately its a little bit of the boy who cried wolf moral of the story here, where now the refs don't know what is real and what is acting and so he is no longer getting the benefit of the doubt of calls.

This is something for Kadri to take note of as you wouldn't want to be entering the playoffs with the refs questioning your actions and you not getting legitimate calls as a result.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Kadri's reputation is now proceeding him about knowing how to trick the refs into awarding penalties as he draws more then most players.

Unfortunately its a little bit of the boy who cried wolf moral of the story here, where now the refs don't know what is real and what is acting and so he is no longer getting the benefit of the doubt of calls.

This is something for Kadri to take note of as you wouldn't want to be entering the playoffs with the refs questioning your actions and you not getting legitimate calls as a result.

A boy who cries wolf.....come on. They did not call a very obvious call at the second as it was a late hit as the puck was gone. They just ignored it.

Babcook called out the refs a short while ago and since then we are not getting as many of the calls. This is the issue.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

This is nonsense. If refs are ignoring legitimate penalties because of someone's rep, these refs should be disciplined.

I wouldn't be surprised if the officials and the union are so pissed off about the Wideman thing that they're deliberately trying to influence games. Those non calls last night were horrid.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A boy who cries wolf.....come on. They did not call a very obvious call at the second as it was a late hit as the puck was gone. They just ignored it.

Babcook called out the refs a short while ago and since then we are not getting as many of the calls. This is the issue.

If they created a drinking game every time someone in the media mentions Kadri's ability to draw penalties everyone would be drunk ;) . So I don't think its a stretch to suggest he is developing a reputation league wide now.

The Refs review games as well to see and grade their own work and if they see Kadri intentionally making them look bad then they will start to question his actions in the future.

They should have called some penalties yesterday as they were legit, but they also called some in the past that were all on Kadri selling it. Things have a way of evening themselves out and so now instead of drawing the most penalties Kadri might now have a harder time to get legitimate calls as a result of past reputation and history. IMO

Be interesting to know if it was another Leaf and not Kadri if the refs would have made the same calls.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If they created a drinking game every time someone in the media mentions Kadri's ability to draw penalties everyone would be drunk ;) . So I don't think its a stretch to suggest he is developing a reputation league wide now.

The Refs review games as well to see and grade their own work and if they see Kadri intentionally making them look bad then they will start to question his actions in the future.

They should have called some penalties yesterday as they were legit, but they also called some in the past that were all on Kadri selling it. Things have a way of evening themselves out and so now instead of drawing the most penalties Kadri might now have a harder time to get legitimate calls as a result of past reputation and history. IMO

Be interesting to know if it was another Leaf and not Kadri if the refs would have made the same calls.
Did you watch the game last night? There were a ton of missed calls both ways, many didn't include Kadri.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
If the refs are so upset about Kadri's diving, maybe they should start calling him for diving penalties. How many has he had this year? 1? 2?

Getting personal revenge on him by letting people hack and board him is a pretty BS way to deal with it.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Did you watch the game last night? There were a ton of missed calls both ways, many didn't include Kadri.

The Bruins in general get away with so much. That's the part of the memo Babcock forgot.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Yes I watched.

Refs are known to let things go in a game (put the whistle away) to allow the flow to continue.

I assume people are complaining about the play on Kadri in the last few minutes were Krejci hit Kadri from behind and he went down and Krejci almost stopped playing and look at the Refs expecting himself to see the arm up and him heading off giving the Leafs a PP.

It wasn't called and that might have been on reputation, because while it should have been a call, Kads also embellished it. IMO

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yes I watched.

Refs are known to let things go in a game (put the whistle away) to allow the flow to continue.

I assume people are complaining about the play on Kadri in the last few minutes were Krejci hit Kadri from behind and he went down and Krejci almost stopped playing and look at the Refs expecting himself to see the arm up and him heading off giving the Leafs a PP.

It wasn't called and that might have been on reputation, because while it should have been a call, Kads also embellished it. IMO
Like I said, there were a number of calls missed last night that sparked comments in the GDT. It's not a matter of putting the whistle away as similar calls were made right around that time.

The last minute Kadri miss wasn't even the worst missed call on him.

Then you have things like the numerous obstruction hooks, boarding, interference, blown icing calls, etc..

buttman*

Yeah I watched and you're delusional if you think that was even or both ways. Bruins ****** **** ***** of the NHL office and always have.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Yes I watched.

Unfortunately, this is the way of the world today. Feels before reals.

Kadri's reputation is that of someone who is not strong on his skates. He has terrible balance and it was the reason I didn't like him when he started as a Leaf. The guy looked like he could fall at any time. What I can't understand is why nobody cried "DIVE!", those times this year when Kadri wiped out with nobody around him. Surely he must have dove if nobody touched him and he fell.:dunno:

It's pretty ridiculous to call "DIVE!", when Kadri falls so many times in a game. He is NOT strong on his skates and this should be apparent to anybody who watches him play. As emotional thinkers, people can cry and pout that so and so dove but in reality, they have no way of knowing if that is the case. As much as your ego would like to think you are right, you are not a mind reader.

In regards to the non-call on Kadri at the end of the game, I don't have a big problem with it. This isn't because Kadri has this "diving" reputation but because he has a reputation of being weak on his skates. The narrative that it was because "refs don't liked being fooled", is disingenuous and irresponsible. Obviously there is a strong chance that refs didn't see it that way and went with the emotional argument that he dives. After all, referees, athletes and play by play announcers aren't really a bastion of critical thinking.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

What truly freaked me out was "the memo" part mess

Who are the refs receiving these conduct memos from?

Straight from Bettman or from Bettmen to head of refs and then down.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Its pretty cool ain't it?

NO one can accuse MLSE of not spending money now. The are pouring money into this situation.

The only cynical part of me is wondering, is this largesse because there is a franchise going to Markham in the near future?

Had to ask? Never seen MLSE spend like they have the last two seasons.

I know Tanenbaum most likely has so much money, he may have gotten that it would be nice at his wake to talk about a Stanely Cup. People get that around that age, don't they?

Well umm< have you forgotten that this is new ownership?

and that dbag Larry t has been told to shut up and sit in the corner quietly, like every minority owner should.

JayDog17

Dec 23, 2014
The solution is for the refs to make the calls when Kadri gets hacked and whacked, but give him the embellishment every time they aren't sure. Put him on the diving list and hopefully he cleans it up and stops playing soccer. I agree with the earlier poster about his skating being weak though.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Nazem Kadri may be earning reputation with officials

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nazem-kadri-may-earning-reputation-officials/

Chris Johnston March 27, 2016, 12:31 AM

TORONTO – If the book is out on Nazem Kadri among NHL referees, Mike Babcock wants it slammed shut right now.

The Toronto Maple Leafs were incensed by a couple non-calls against their top centre on Saturday night, including a late cross-check from David Krejci moments before Matt Beleskey’s empty-net goal sealed a 3-1 victory for the Boston Bruins.

Kadri has long been one of the NHL’s best players at drawing penalties but suddenly the calls have dried up. It’s reasonable to believe his reputation might have something to do with it.

Point made – and taken – according to Babcock.

“So that’s four games the memo must be out there that they’re not allowed to call a penalty [on infractions against Kadri],” he said. “It’s got to be over with now. Let’s get on with it. When there’s a penalty let’s call a penalty. Let’s move on.”

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
In regards to the non-call on Kadri at the end of the game, I don't have a big problem with it. This isn't because Kadri has this "diving" reputation but because he has a reputation of being weak on his skates. The narrative that it was because "refs don't liked being fooled", is disingenuous and irresponsible. Obviously there is a strong chance that refs didn't see it that way and went with the emotional argument that he dives. After all, referees, athletes and play by play announcers aren't really a bastion of critical thinking.

Not sure I follow your point here or the distinction you're trying to make. If the refs believe Kadri dives ( or is light on skates ;)) then that is based on past reputation, and as a result a non call. Essentially to not look foolish themselves for a bad call because of an embellishment on the part of the player they err on the side of caution and make no call.

After all its easier to justify for a ref a non call then a wrong call. "I didn't see it or my vision was obstructed" non call defense holds up better then being shown up by the player by making a call and then the review later on shows the player fooled him into making it. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

fool_me_once,_shame-46507.jpg

Last edited:

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
If the refs are so upset about Kadri's diving, maybe they should start calling him for diving penalties. How many has he had this year? 1? 2?

Getting personal revenge on him by letting people hack and board him is a pretty BS way to deal with it.

And one of those "dives" was after he got 2 simultaneous hacks to the back of the legs.

PureTruculence

Jan 23, 2014
Leafs get pushed around heavy again. How you going to let Reilly get dropped by Miller.

Only a matter of time before one of the kids gets hurt. We look skilled with the kids but man are we ever a soft team.

Mad Brills*

Leafs get pushed around heavy again. How you going to let Reilly get dropped by Miller.

Only a matter of time before one of the kids gets hurt. We look skilled with the kids but man are we ever a soft team.

no useless plugs please.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Not sure I follow your point here or the distinction you're trying to make. If the refs believe Kadri dives ( or is light on skates ;)) then that is based on past reputation, and as a result a non call. Essentially to not look foolish themselves for a bad call because of an embellishment on the part of the player they err on the side of caution and make no call.

After all its easier to justify for a ref a non call then a wrong call. "I didn't see it or my vision was obstructed" non call defense holds up better then being shown up by the player by making a call and then the review later on shows the player fooled him into making it. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

fool_me_once,_shame-46507.jpg

I mentioned the non-call and I agree that I didn't have a problem with it. My point is that, even with a replay, you can not know if he's trying to fool the refs. You are using your feelings to decide that. If you actually think about it, the logical answer is that Kadri is weak on his skates. Of course, if you don't agree that Kadri has terrible balance, then that's a different story.

I don't usually complain about refs but I think the biggest problem is their ego. Too scared of getting fooled. :shakehead The game becomes about them and it's ridiculous. That wil never change.

While I understand what you're saying with the JPEG, it would only be relevant if anybody was actually getting fooled, which we can't know and pretty impossible to prove. Even with video evidence as it would be an opinion based on emotions and not fact.

BTW, that saying is WRONG! Here is the real saying::sarcasm:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

a boy who cried wolf? LMFAO...a penalty is a penalty. He got cross checked and the refs missed it. Terrible game by the officials, quite embarrassing actually. That makes zero sense...if a ref sees you get cross checked but is questioning your own actions then he has a bias and should be either fined or fired.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I mentioned the non-call and I agree that I didn't have a problem with it. My point is that, even with a replay, you can not know if he's trying to fool the refs. You are using your feelings to decide that. If you actually think about it, the logical answer is that Kadri is weak on his skates. Of course, if you don't agree that Kadri has terrible balance, then that's a different story.

I don't usually complain about refs but I think the biggest problem is their ego. Too scared of getting fooled. :shakehead The game becomes about them and it's ridiculous. That wil never change.

While I understand what you're saying with the JPEG, it would only be relevant if anybody was actually getting fooled, which we can't know and pretty impossible to prove. Even with video evidence as it would be an opinion based on emotions and not fact.

I think if the Refs start singling Kadri out for diving/embellishment and hand him penalties that Fans will be more upset then the Refs occasionally preferring to make no call on the play on Kadri involved plays instead and as I put it err on the side of caution when unsure.

Right or wrong pick your poison. I personally prefer no call to other option.

In the big picture this probably balances out with calls verses no calls on Kads were he has gotten a questionable call (light on skates) verses a missed called when actually fouled to deserve getting the benefit of the doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad