Pre-Game Talk: Maple Leafs vs Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Go with McBackup in the 2nd nights of the back to backs and Andy the rest of the way

@Columbus-Andersen
NJ-McBackup
@Buffalo-Andersen
Florida-Andersen
@Nashville-Andersen
@Detroit-Andersen
@Buffalo-Andersen
Washington-McBackup
Tampa-Andersen
Pittsburgh-Andersen
Columbus-McBackup

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think Andersen needs to play both games,look Tampa lost, which means they are 4 points back with Toronto having a game in hand, a win tomorrow night puts you 6 points up on Tampa and puts the dagger in their playoff chances if they aren't dead already, I mean i don't think they are making up the 4 point difference but you go 6 and it's DONE.

Now the NYI are only 3 points back and if they somehow manage to beat the NYR, which I don't think will happen but if it does they can draw to within 1 point back of us for the wild card.

We can't be messing around with this playoff spot we have to get it locked down and Andersen gives you the best chance to do that

Besides that I see Columbus as a winnable game, I know they are good, you don't get 100 points if you aren't but they still don't scare me as much as the pens, or caps or hawks and the reason is simple.

Columbus is a well rounded solid team however there is no Malkin, or Crosby, or Mcdavid, or Kane or Towes on that team they are not a star studded team I think they are tough but it wouldn't shock me if we beat them or at least got a point tomorrow.

As for NJ we have no business losing to them and the standings are still too close this is a team you should beat you put Andersen in and you get it done.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
playing him in 1 back to back won't break him

we need these next 2 games espically with the NYI playing tomorrow

if they pull an upset over the NYR things could get tight

I want to maintain our breathing room

We're playing something crazy like 11 games in 19 days to finish out the season
With a much heavier workload than Andersen has ever faced before already
You can't burn him out now without him were done so if that means he misses one game in a b2b situation so be it

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If this team can't beat New Jersey, it won't be because we didn't start Andersen. It's because the team didn't play.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If this team can't beat New Jersey, it won't be because we didn't start Andersen. It's because the team didn't play.

playing Andersen all but locks that game down\

Mcbackup is hit and miss and we can't afford a miss

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

Yeah we can. We need 6 wins. No sense to have Andersen play all these games, more than he usually plays only to pull a groin.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

It all really depends on what happens in this game.

I haven't liked a lot of things Babcock has done but one thing that has given us an edge over the other teams is that none of our lines are overplayed. We aren't a one line team or a one defensive pairing team. We can't afford to lose Andersen because we played him to the ground.

If we keep it clean for Andersen and the shot totals low, Babcock might go with Andersen, if it's a busy night win or lose, McElhinney needs to play.

NJ isn't that good, we should be fine provided we show up on time.

TOCap1

Nov 14, 2009
Toronto
Do you think there's a chance that Columbus would save Bob for the second game of the back to back as they play Washington tomorrow night?? Or are they for sure just trying to take what th Y can get tonight?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Do you think there's a chance that Columbus would save Bob for the second game of the back to back as they play Washington tomorrow night?? Or are they for sure just trying to take what th Y can get tonight?

I think they would think of us as an easier win so they would go with their best goalie to ensure a win. We play Andersen because he's been hot lately and our best chance to win is with a rested roster.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
There are 2 ways of looking at it. You either play your top goaltender against the better team and the backup against the weaker one, or you play your goaltender against the weaker opponent to give yourself an even bigger advantage against a weaker team.

It's a tough decision.

Considering McBackup knows Columbus and their players well, I would start him tomorrow and Andersen against the Devils. It's going to be a tough one against Columbus regardless of who we start, but I think we lose our advantage against the Devils if we play McBackup.

I completely agree with this, mostly because we tend to get thumped in Columbus so you might as well have Andersen start against the Devils.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
CBJ can play a real heavy game, Dubinsky and Hartnall can be real dirt bags, esp Dubinsky. Our guys tend to not react well vs rough play. maybe the Boston game was notice that the Leafs wont be pushed around, Leafs were more of the bully than the bullee

Naz, Martin, Uncle Leo will have to set the tone real early, the Leafs will have to have the going to war mentality tonight, ignore the dirty CBJ's and dictate play. I have a feeling its going to be a dirty game.

We will know early how the game is going to go, if the Leafs play an aggressive game down low and pressure the puck carrier and dictate the physical play, it should come out points for us.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I completely agree with this, mostly because we tend to get thumped in Columbus so you might as well have Andersen start against the Devils.

I kinda agree too, what gives us the best chance of getting at least 2 points? Was Hall in the lineup the last time we faced them? Calamari tends to have good games vs us, I don't think the NJ game is a gimmie by any means, we could easily come out of this back to back with zero points.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
The advantage of starting Andersen tonight is that should the Jackets shell him early you can get him out of there and rest him for tomorrow.

Anyone think CBJ are due for a bit of a letdown (after clinching playoffs) and take the foot off the gas or looking past tonight to their showdown against the Caps tomorrow?

Feels like a loss is looming tonight - I just hope they don't waste a good game and come out flat tomorrow night against the Devils. One point tonight would feel like a win for me.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Honestly tonight's not a must win, but if we do it honestly puts us in an amazing place

Lets say we win the next 2 and NYI wins their next 2, NYI goes 6 and 3 in their last 9, giving them 94 points that means we only have to win 5 to get 95 points or we can go 4-4-1 and tie them.

Who has the season series vs NYI?

Harambae

Sep 17, 2016
Andersen will start, he's been super hot the past few games I can't think of any reason to bench him. Plus we have back to back games today and tomorrow so mcilhenney will start tomorrow probably

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad