News Article: Maple Leafs Twitter account is smacking down haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
Is this the best way to defend the brand?

I am 100% not likely to convene a meeting on Monday morning with my Marketing team and tell them to publicly attempt to shame anyone with a negative comment about our products.

To imply that this was a public shaming someone is a bit of an overstatement. It was made in jest, just as the original tweet was.

danron1376

Jan 3, 2011
hope she doesn't get a backlash that she will regret especially since she seems to be using a real photo and her real name. seems like some people hit a nerve if you look at her history of tweets (e.g. the one dropping the f bomb). the 'net is full of people who can make you a permanent laughing stock in the form of a meme that spawns multiple variations/photos (adam orth is a good example).

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Being different in advertising is what makes companies stand out... for example...

Brand image. Knocking someone's viewpoint who is taking a shot at you is something we all would like to do.

This one "worked" in that it was a non fan. The team responded and fans of the team generally supported them.

The risk is how far does this edgy response go?

Do the Leafs, an organization continually ranked amongst the worst franchises in all of sport in terms of "fan value" really want to go down this road?

Tweet something about overpriced tickets and get dismissed? Tweet something about the gouging that occurred with Personal Seat Licenses and be told you are whining? Those aren't necessarily trolling comments. They are facts.

Up to them I guess but the latter two examples would likely backfire if they treated them the same as they did the "Cup drought."

Last edited:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Twitter is for twits anyway and the tweet wasn't even correct, the Leafs HAVE made the Stanley Cup playoffs over 30 times in the last 48 years and if not for Fraser's mistake in 93, they'd be in the finals. Before tweeting, I'd get my facts straight, especially if you're going to be negative.

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Wonder if they would respond to Ricky Foley (Argo player - 3 Time Grey Cup champ and Canadian award winner) the same way? Ricky tweeted out these gems a couple weeks ago:

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real
Dick move announcing Babcock news the day #Argos r finally sold. Guess some people still jealous we the only team who wins in this city @CFL
3:13 PM - 20 May 2015

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real
I'll tell you one thing these CDN #CFL boys don't claim 'wetheNORTH' then head home to the south during off seasons... #NBA

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real
And our Captains and vet leaders don't play like a bunch of soft ass punks with no emotion or passion for the game or its fans... #NHL
3:29 PM - 20 May 2015

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real
So congrats on Ur new coach @MapleLeafs...Hopefully 50mil & sky high ticket prices r enough 2give Ur players heart & a compete level #CFL
3:35 PM - 20 May 2015

I guess responding to Ricky Foley would have been in bad form since 2/3 of MLSE now owns them and MLSE is going to be making money off them at BMO.

Easier to tweet-war with a kid?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Wonder if they would respond to Ricky Foley (Argo player - 3 Time Grey Cup champ and Canadian award winner) the same way? Ricky tweeted out these gems a couple weeks ago:

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real
Dick move announcing Babcock news the day #Argos r finally sold. Guess some people still jealous we the only team who wins in this city @CFL

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real
I'll tell you one thing these CDN #CFL boys don't claim 'wetheNORTH' then head home to the south during off seasons... #NBA

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real
And our Captains and vet leaders don't play like a bunch of soft ass punks with no emotion or passion for the game or its fans... #NHL

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real
So congrats on Ur new coach @MapleLeafs...Hopefully 50mil & sky high ticket prices r enough 2give Ur players heart & a compete level #CFL

I guess responding to Ricky Foley would have been in bad form since 2/3 of MLSE now owns them and MLSE is going to be making money off them at BMO.

Looks like he's just another insignificant run-of-the-mill Twitter troll. Can't respond to all of them, there's too many.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
I love it. Right up there with LA and Dallas. I always hated how the leafs Twitter came off as "by the book corporate/family show" All the time.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Looks like he's just another insignificant run-of-the-mill Twitter troll. Can't respond to all of them, there's too many.

Who plays for a team that they will profit from and are about to ramp up a ticket selling campaign to the new BMO… thereby making it necessary to avoid upsetting that fan base.

Foley said a lot of pretty inflammatory stuff there. Depending on your perspective, he may or may not be be far off the mark.

I guess the difference is that the tween kid wasn't going to hurt their ticket sales so the kid is fair game?

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
hope she doesn't get a backlash that she will regret especially since she seems to be using a real photo and her real name. seems like some people hit a nerve if you look at her history of tweets (e.g. the one dropping the f bomb). the 'net is full of people who can make you a permanent laughing stock in the form of a meme that spawns multiple variations/photos (adam orth is a good example).

I hope she does to be perfectly honest. She really come across as a stupid little twit. Hopefully someone does put her in her place. I have no sympathy towards this immature teen and her crass behaviour.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I hope she does to be perfectly honest. She really come across as a stupid little twit. Hopefully someone does put her in her place. I have no sympathy towards this immature teen and her crass behaviour.

Of course she comes off as a "stupid little twit", twitter IS for twits.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Who plays for a team that they will profit from and are about to ramp up a ticket selling campaign to the new BMO… thereby making it necessary to avoid upsetting that fan base.

Foley said a lot of pretty inflammatory stuff there. Depending on your perspective, he may or may not be be far off the mark.

I guess the difference is that the tween kid wasn't going to hurt their ticket sales so the kid is fair game?

Also that MLSE needs to get him to stop tweeting because he's embarrassing the franchise, rather than bring attention to him.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Also that MLSE needs to get him to stop tweeting because he's embarrassing the franchise, rather than bring attention to him.

Indeed.

I think that the first thing I would advise any athlete is to stay off twitter. It brings the venomous fans right into your living room. You need time away and to keep a positive mental outlook to perform. Can't see twitter (or other social media) helping that in any way.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real

Exactly... makes little sense to attack a kid ....it is bullying at its finest!

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Exactly... makes little sense to attack a kid ....it is bullying at its finest!

You could also say she was bullying our poor old Maple Leafs. They just stood up for themselves.

I concur with Hoglund, the whole twitter thing is idiotic as far as I'm concerned. Seems to be an avenue for people to prove what twits they are.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real

This Foley guy seems like a loser who should learn a thing or two about class as he's so inclined to judge others for ridiculous things.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Some of you guys really need to lighten up.

I'm as jaded about the current state of this team as the rest of you guys, if not more so. We don't need to be constantly beating ourselves down and wallowing in self-pity 24/7 however, sheesh.

Mar 12, 2009

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real

Ricky Foley ✔@Foley4Real

It's a CFL guy, I doubt they will respond because they and 99% of the population will never see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad