News Article: Maple Leafs Twitter account is smacking down haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
Can't believe this is news. Nothing else to report on I guess.

IIRC, the original tweeter was a 13 year old girl. Even if it was all in good fun, that is hardly "smacking down".

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
I guess it isn't just Leafs fans that are tired of people trolling this team, but also their social media employee(s). Pretty funny.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
haha, love it. always thought the Leafs twitter was too boring. Good to know they've taken this approach now.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I don't really understand impact of all of this. Someone who is presumably an adult with a university degree in marketing squelched some sadly anemic attempts at trolling by a barely literate tween.

Completelybroke

Mar 22, 2015
It's funny in till you start to realize that it's not even troll comments but reality. But good on the PR team to be playful about it.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
It's funny in till you start to realize that it's not even troll comments but reality. But good on the PR team to be playful about it.

I would still consider it trolling even if it were 100% factual, which it isn't...the Leafs have qualified for the playoffs several times within the last 48 years and her deceased grandfather cannot score more goals than the team.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
watch out, Watch Out, WATCH OUT, LEAFS TWITTER ACCOUNT FROM OUTTA NO WHERE

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think they deserve these kinds of comments made towards them, to be honest. They have been the worst franchise, arguably, since the 04-05 lockout. Maybe do something on the ice and then chirp people back. Whatever, that's just my 2 cents.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I think they deserve these kinds of comments made towards them, to be honest. They have been the worst franchise, arguably, since the 04-05 lockout. Maybe do something on the ice and then chirp people back. Whatever, that's just my 2 cents.

they as in the PR team with no influence on the on-ice-product? They don't deserve any negative comments unless they post something stupid..

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto

Agreed a billion %

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
It was made towards the team, though, not towards the PR staff. I wouldn't be defending the Toronto Maple Leafs right now.

So dont...
I wpuld fully expect that a member of the organization would do so even of it against a 12 year old girl trying to be cool and i applaud them for doing so.

It must really suck being a Leafs fan for some, dont allow themselves to enjoy anythibg related to the team anymore..

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Is this the best way to defend the brand?

I am 100% not likely to convene a meeting on Monday morning with my Marketing team and tell them to publicly attempt to shame anyone with a negative comment about our products.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I am 100% not likely to convene a meeting on Monday morning with my Marketing team and tell them to publicly attempt to shame anyone with a negative comment about our products.

not 'defending' the brand but it's not the first time an NHL twitter account had spoken smack on people (or even went head to head (tweet to tweet?) with a rival club).

it clearly said - it's a way to increase engagement.
didn't say anything about defending etc.

it's the same tired boring story "you suck since 67"
Leafs said, yes, so, boring.

works for me.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
not 'defending' the brand but it's not the first time an NHL twitter account had spoken smack on people (or even went head to head (tweet to tweet?) with a rival club).

it clearly said - it's a way to increase engagement.
didn't say anything about defending etc.

it's the same tired boring story "you suck since 67"
Leafs said, yes, so, boring.

works for me.

It got people talking about the Leafs. So it accomplished its goal.

That said, one employee on a twitter account with a mandate to "talk back" to kids sounds like a PR dumpster fire waiting to happen.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It is very funny but LA's twitter feed started this type of interaction many years ago. Leafs can take credit for being innovative. :handclap:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Being different in advertising is what makes companies stand out... for example...

peta-save-whales-billboard.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad