Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs sign G Joseph Woll to 3-year entry-level contract (will report to Leafs, not Marlies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Zero chance, ZERO.
Literally every salaried player will be on the table to trade, in order to fit Marner under the cap. Let alone Kapanen and Johnsson. Marleau can't be traded. Zaitsev might not be tradeable. But Kadri and Brown and Andersen can be moved, and are far more easy to replace than the premium young talent up front. It's a Hobson's choice, and pretty obvious. The Patrick Marleau signing brought me here.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Literally every salaried player will be on the table to trade, in order to fit Marner under the cap. Let alone Kapanen and Johnsson. Marleau can't be traded. Zaitsev might not be tradeable. But Kadri and Brown and Andersen can be moved, and are far more easy to replace than the premium young talent up front. It's a Hobson's choice, and pretty obvious. The Patrick Marleau signing brought me here.

IMO there's no way in hell we are moving Freddie soon - at least not for a couple of years when he's up after 2021.

#1 goalies @ 5M AAV are not easy to replace.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
IMO there's no way in hell we are moving Freddie soon - at least not for a couple of years when he's up after 2021.

#1 goalies @ 5M AAV are not easy to replace.

If it comes down to that, you have to, in order to sign Marner for 6 years. It's a really tough spot we're in, and it's a big boy decision, but it's really no decision at all if it comes to it. We get a place-holder starter for a year until either Woll or Scott emerges. These are the consequences of the Marleau deal.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
If it comes down to that, you have to, in order to sign Marner for 6 years. It's a really tough spot we're in, and it's a big boy decision, but it's really no decision at all if it comes to it. We get a place-holder starter for a year until either Woll or Scott emerges.

no, we move willy, kadri, brown, or whoever the heck else we have to move, but keep freddie; kyle has better options and freddie shouldn't be on the table

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
If it comes down to that, you have to, in order to sign Marner for 6 years. It's a really tough spot we're in, and it's a big boy decision, but it's really no decision at all if it comes to it. We get a place-holder starter for a year until either Woll or Scott emerges. These are the consequences of the Marleau deal.

Marleau deal literally has zero impact on Freddy's new deal.

Kessel's money may though. Young GM strikes again.

Who knows where Freddy's game is in three years and who knows what we have in the system then. Good we have Woll and Scott doing good things. We won't know their ceiling for several years.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
That post actually had nothing to do with money and had everything to do with what is best for your career. If the Leafs think you are a #2 at the AHL level, there are 30 other teams that might give you the starter role at the AHL level. I'm simply saying I'd ask them to release me if they made me a # 2 AHL or ECHL goalie. It had absolute nothing to do with money.

This is a ridiculous take. Just because you're 4th on the depth chart means that the organization sees nothing in you? Gets even more ridiculous when you take into account we're talking about a 21 yr old with no pro experience. Everyone has to pay their dues not to mention there's more rotation with the tendys in the minors than there is in the NHL so being #2 in the A gets you way more playing time than a #2 in the show would get.

member 262271

Marleau deal literally has zero impact on Freddy's new deal.

Kessel's money may though. Young GM strikes again.

Who knows where Freddy's game is in three years and who knows what we have in the system then. Good we have Woll and Scott doing good things. We won't know their ceiling for several years.
Which young GM retained on Kessel? Just making sure I read this correctly.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
This is a ridiculous take. Just because you're 4th on the depth chart means that the organization sees nothing in you? Gets even more ridiculous when you take into account we're talking about a 21 yr old with no pro experience. Everyone has to pay their dues not to mention there's more rotation with the tendys in the minors than there is in the NHL so being #2 in the A gets you way more playing time than a #2 in the show would get.

PSSST...pro tip , its a well known fact and saying in the pro ranks that you never want to be the even number goalie but hey lets ignore history and go with your take. ;)

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Andersen will likely be here until the end of his deal.

If both Scott and Woll show they can be impact goalies they may just let Andersen walk. It will depend on their development, our cap situation and how far Andersen takes us into the playoffs.

Reality is we will likely not be able to afford a 9 million dollar goalie down the road.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Sure. Might not be enough.

I'd be loathe to part with Kappy or Johnsson.

These are not core players. You trade either one (or both) of them if they ask for too much. That's the reality. You don't trade from the top to protect the middle.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Which young GM retained on Kessel? Just making sure I read this correctly.

The guy who is currently GM of our team.

He was AGM in charge of trades when the trade was made. He was schooled in the trade to think he had to act immediately or Pitt would walk away. So he agreed to the retention.

He addressed the media after the trade gave a run down. Talked about how they liked Kap, Harrington, etc.

This trade was viewed internally as a failure and forced ownership to ensure Shanny brought in someone with experience. Lou came in and then made a bunch of great trades.

Maybe you weren't following the team then, but now you know.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010

He was AGM in charge of trades when the trade was made. He was schooled in the trade to think he had to act immediately or Pitt would walk away. So he agreed to the retention.

He addressed the media after the trade gave a run down. Talked about how they liked Kap, Harrington, etc.

This trade was viewed internally as a failure and forced ownership to ensure Shanny brought in someone with experience. Lou came in and then made a bunch of great trades.

“To me, the Phil Kessel trade was good for both organizations,” former Leafs assistant GM Mark Hunter told The Star on Wednesday. “Jim Rutherford and Shanny did a hell of a job because of the direction each team was going in.”

Reactions: smitty10

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
PSSST...pro tip , its a well known fact and saying in the pro ranks that you never want to be the even number goalie but hey lets ignore history and go with your take. ;)

There's a difference between how management ranks goalies and where they play.

You're right in the sense of you don't want to be the backup playing 15 games in the NHL behind a starter in his prime under a long contract. You're better off in that scenario as the AHL starter. But if youre an NHL backup in a 50-50 situation, then you're better off than the AHL starter.

You also don't want to be the AHL backup playing only 20-25 games. You would rather be in junior or even the ECHL getting tons of games.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
“To me, the Phil Kessel trade was good for both organizations,” former Leafs assistant GM Mark Hunter told The Star on Wednesday. “Jim Rutherford and Shanny did a hell of a job because of the direction each team was going in.”

Never said Shanny wasn't involved or even approved the deal, but the young AGM was in charge of trades at the time.

Why would he holds a press conference or be interviewed by media if he wasn't running point in the deal?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

The Spin Doctor is in.

Confirmed with Link: - Phil Kessel traded - Part III
Free Agent/Trades 2015: Offer Sheets, Buyouts, Terminations & Free Agency
Trades: The one area where a lack of NHL GM experience hurts
Confirmed with Link: - Phil Kessel traded - Part III
Confirmed with Link: - Kessel for Spaling, Harrington, Kapanen, 1st, 3rd (Leafs Retain 1.25M or $8.75m) )
Confirmed with Link: - Phil Kessel traded - Part IV

TLDR; The same poster poster who often lambastes Dubas for getting a bad return on the Kessel trade (despite it being quite well known that Shanahan had big say) was quite outspoken against Kessel, cited the return as being market value for a player viewed poorly around the league, a player that the Poster would have given away for nothing and saw as addition by subtraction

Last edited:

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Don't know what this proves.

Issue at hand is who was point on the deal.

My position on Kessel was I wanted him off the team at any cost. It's not my job to get a return.

I also reiterated what was in the media that Pittsburgh was the only suitor. I've since learned that was reported incorrectly and further the young GM was pressured to make a hasty decision. He could have waited but he was pressured and jumped the gun. Then he was taken off trades shortly thereafter.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Don't know what this proves.

Issue at hand is who was point on the deal.

My position on Kessel was I wanted him off the team at any cost. It's not my job to get a return.

Step 1. Think about the bolded statement.

Step 2. Now think about your myriad of posts criticizing the return Dubas got. (Top prospect, B prospect, 1st, 3rd, roster player included in deadline deal for more picks)

Step 3. Reconcile those opinions as coming from an intellectually honest and consistent person worthy of being listened to.

Step 4. Fail at step 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad