Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs sign G Joseph Woll to 3-year entry-level contract (will report to Leafs, not Marlies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
In my (very amateur) opinion yes he has had a higher level of play for way longer than Scott. Scott really only has this season as an”good season” on his resume
Scott played for some horrid teams, and was their best player. Second highest drafted goalie going into the WHL since Price (9th overall in 2014). He has pedigree.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He burns a year because this year is counted as year 1 of his ELC - he is too old for an ELC slide.

edit: Disregard the below, some of the replies in the CJ Fabbro tweet seem to suggest CJ is wrong and Fabbro's 1st year is also burned regardless. That still doesn't answer the question regarding whether him and Woll would be expansion eligible without playing games.

Most guys burn the first year by playing a game though. Dante Fabbro(same draft, same age, same league/NCAA) for instance, just signed with Nashville and will only burn the first year of his ELC if he plays a NHL game this season, per Chris Johnston on twitter(above). Otherwise it's treated as a contract signed now for next season(which happens all the time, see Chad Krys, also same draft, age and league/NCAA signed a couple days ago) and not a slide.

I've never seen a guy signed in March, and guaranteed to burn a year off the deal without playing a game that season.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
edit: Disregard the below, some of the replies in the CJ Fabbro tweet seem to suggest CJ is wrong and Fabbro's 1st year is also burned regardless. That still doesn't answer the question regarding whether him and Woll would be expansion eligible without playing games.

Most guys burn the first year by playing a game though. Dante Fabbro(same draft, same age, same league/NCAA) for instance, just signed with Nashville and will only burn the first year of his ELC if he plays a NHL game this season, per Chris Johnston on twitter(above). Otherwise it's treated as a contract signed now for next season(which happens all the time, see Chad Krys, also same draft, age and league/NCAA signed a couple days ago) and not a slide.

I've never seen a guy signed in March, and guaranteed to burn a year off the deal without playing a game that season.
If the contract he signed was only for next season, then yes. But he would have to play on an ATO this season. However, the contract was signed to include this season This is his age 21 season technically, so it doesn't matter if he plays a game or not - it burns a year. Let's say the Leafs decided to wait until next season to sign him, or only decided to sign him for next year. Then the rules say it would be his age 22 season, and he would only get a 2 year ELC. So the Leafs are doing him a real solid by signing him now....he gets to collect NHL pay now.

Fabbro burns a year regardless too. It's his age 21 season. He's getting NHL dough too by signing early.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If the contract he signed was only next season, then yes, However, this contract was signed to include this season This is his age 21 season technically, so it doesn't matter if he plays a game or not - it burns a year. Let's say the Leafs decided to wait until next season to sign him, or only decided to sign him for next year. Then the rules say it would be his age 22 season, and he would only get a 2 year ELC. So the Leafs are doing him a real solid by signing him now....he gets to collect NHL pay now.

Fabbro burns a year regardless too. It's his age 21 season. He's getting NHL dough too.
Preferably, he would sign an ATO with the Marlies, and then sign his ELC on July 1st. He would still qualify as a 21 year old at that point. But, compromises have to be made to avoid him going back to BC for a year and potentially going to UFA.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Preferably, he would sign an ATO with the Marlies, and then sign his ELC on July 1st. He would still qualify as a 21 year old at that point. But, compromises have to be made to avoid him going back to BC for a year and potentially going to UFA.
Next season would be technically his age 22 season, so it would be a 2-year ELC. They signed him to give him some NHL pay bonus $$$ this season.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If the contract he signed was only next season, then yes, However, this contract was signed to include this season This is his age 21 season technically, so it doesn't matter if he plays a game or not - it burns a year. Let's say the Leafs decided to wait until next season to sign him, or only decided to sign him for next year. Then the rules say it would be his age 22 season, and he would only get a 2 year ELC. So the Leafs are doing him a real solid by signing him now....he gets to collect NHL pay now.

Fabbro burns a year regardless too. It's his age 21 season. He's getting NHL dough too.

Yeah I realized that when I saw the replies to CJ's tweet. Hence the edit to my post at the top telling you to disregard the argument below.

Like I said though that doesn't actually answer the core question. The contract starts regardless, but expansion rules are complex. I don't believe it's based on the contract starting. If Woll(or Fabbro) don't play any NHL games this season are they expansion exempt in the 2021 Seattle expansion. If they do play a game does that change the answer? The whole point of this discussion began when I mentioned that'd I'd throw him a bone and give him an NHL game unless it changed his expansion exemption, which is unknown(by us), but it might. The conversation then branched off with my Fabbro confusion regarding an incorrect tweet by CJ and his expansion eligibility by playing a game.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yeah I realized that when I saw the replies to CJ's tweet. Hence the edit to my post at the top telling you to disregard the argument below.

Like I said though that doesn't actually answer the core question. The contract starts regardless, but expansion rules are complex. I don't believe it's based on the contract starting. If Woll(or Fabbro) don't play any NHL games this season are they expansion exempt in the 2021 Seattle expansion. If they do play a game does that change the answer? The whole point of this discussion began when I mentioned that'd I'd throw him a bone and give him an NHL game unless it changed his expansion exemption, which is unknown(by us), but it might. The conversation then branched off with my Fabbro confusion regarding an incorrect tweet by CJ and his expansion eligibility by playing a game.
I believe they are expansion exempt. The rules are very convoluted on this. Don't quote me on this, but I believe they retain their expansion exemption if they don't play a game.

It a rules shitshow.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I would give Woll a game, however I'm uncertain of the expansion eliginbility ramifications and it may be possible that giving him a game makes this year count as a pro season(the normal limit doesn't apply because he's not 18 or 19) in which case that would make him expansion eligible. If throwing him a bone makes him expansion eligible rather than exempt I wouldn't do it.

Seems ridiculous though from a coaching standpoint, straight from college to NHL, with little practice time to get up to speed with NHL players.

DiPietro was given an emergency call up from Junior to NHL.. and the results were as expected.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Next season would be technically his age 22 season, so it would be a 2-year ELC. They signed him to give him some NHL pay bonus $$$ this season.
NHL views age by the January 1st-Dec 31st calendar when contracts are signed. So, a contract signed on July 1st is still viewed as a 21-year-old deal. If he signed on January 1st 2020, it would be viewed as 22. It is why signing Dermott and Nielsen before January 1st of 2016, bought us an extra slide-year. The age of your signing doesn't change with the league calendar. For example, Trevor Moore signed with us on July 26th of 2016 after turning 21 on March 31st of 2016. By your logic, the date we signed him would make it his 22 year old season. He got a 3 year-ELC and was viewed as signing at 21. This was done with Woll trying to get Woll to RFA quicker and more signing bonus money. Ideally, the Leafs sign Woll to an ATO, and then give him an ELC on July 1st.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Would be interesting to see him in NHL action. He sounds like a calm, positional guy which Sparks isn't.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Would be interesting to see him in NHL action. He sounds like a calm, positional guy which Sparks isn't.
Don't. Let the kid soak in the experience as black ace. He's not NHL ready, and you don't want his season to end with him getting shelled in front of the Toronto media/fanbase. Let him get a couple game checks sitting in the stands, talk with our goaltending coach, and discuss what he needs to work on in the off-season. He isn't NHL ready. He did well, but he didn't dominate Hockey East.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
leafs like him for sure
his numbers seem to reflect stability in his game
sparks looks like a good AHL goalie who is just happy to be in the NHL
granted when u win a CALDER CUP
u deserve a chance ,kudos to dubas
but in fairness the real person deserving a promotion is KEEFE

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Ya never want to be the even number guy on the depth chart in the minors. Its better to be #1 on the ECHL team than #2 on the AHL team. If I'm one of those guys I'm telling the Leafs I'm #1 on one of those teams, I won't play back up to no one.

Ya I hate money too

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
I don't see any reason whatsoever the team can't resign Andersen.

Nice to have two legit goalie prospects in the hopper. Been awhile...

We might have no choice but to trade him this offseason, if it means keeping Marner. Yep. That's the level of the Marleau screw up.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Ya I hate money too

NHL money is not all that much TBH, I make more than most AHL rookies.

If you are an even number goalie, meaning if you are the back up in any league the franchise does not think all that highly of you. #1 in the ECHL means they want to give you the minutes to develop, #2 in the AHL means they want to you to give the guy they like in the AHL some rest.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
NHL money is not all that much TBH, I make more than most AHL rookies.

If you are an even number goalie, meaning if you are the back up in any league the franchise does not think all that highly of you. #1 in the ECHL means they want to give you the minutes to develop, #2 in the AHL means they want to you to give the guy they like in the AHL some rest.

I make more then most AHL rookies as well, but that post is basically stating goalies should be living in poverty rather then actually earnings a living at the next level. Had nothing to do with how much money you make lol

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I make more then most AHL rookies as well, but that post is basically stating goalies should be living in poverty rather then actually earnings a living at the next level. Had nothing to do with how much money you make lol

That post actually had nothing to do with money and had everything to do with what is best for your career. If the Leafs think you are a #2 at the AHL level, there are 30 other teams that might give you the starter role at the AHL level. I'm simply saying I'd ask them to release me if they made me a # 2 AHL or ECHL goalie. It had absolute nothing to do with money.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
That post actually had nothing to do with money and had everything to do with what is best for your career. If the Leafs think you are a #2 at the AHL level, there are 30 other teams that might give you the starter role at the AHL level. I'm simply saying I'd ask them to release me if they made me a # 2 AHL or ECHL goalie. It had absolute nothing to do with money.

Yet it is...you're saying players should take a massive (relative) pay cut to get the extra minutes/games. I understand this point of view, but I was saying it's not feasibly for most players because they are at an age they actually need to be pulling a salary...

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yet it is...you're saying players should take a massive (relative) pay cut to get the extra minutes/games. I understand this point of view, but I was saying it's not feasibly for most players because they are at an age they actually need to be pulling a salary...

Dude don't tell me what I meant, what I posted is what I meant. It's the first quote it's a pretty simple concept to understand. Not a single mention of money. You're projecting your misinterpretation. If you are in a development league and are making short term decisions based on money, you shouldn't be in sport. You're there to develop, you don't develop playing 15 games per year.

Ya never want to be the even number guy on the depth chart in the minors. Its better to be #1 on the ECHL team than #2 on the AHL team. If I'm one of those guys I'm telling the Leafs I'm #1 on one of those teams, I won't play back up to no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad