The Star: Maple Leafs seem happy to stick with eighth pick

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
General manager Dave Nonis says he’s not interested in trading for a high-end centre or Florida’s No. 1 pick.

.........GMs are talking here about all the moving parts: volatility at the top of the draft; free agency hitting July 1; and a juicy number of high-end talented centres — like Jason Spezza and Ryan Kesler — available on the trade market.
The problem with these moving parts is that none have moved, creating a log jam.
“I believe that if one or both of those top guys get moved then you might see some dominoes fall,†said Leafs GM Dave Nonis. “I think everyone’s expecting (the top players) will be moved but I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re not. Those teams don’t have to, they have good players. But if they do get moved, you might see some other things happen because of it.â€
The Leafs are one of those teams that could use a centre. But Nonis said he’s not interested.
“We’re not really in on those players for various reasons, so I don’t know what the price tag is, but I would expect the price is pretty high,†said Nonis. “They’re both quality centres that are very difficult to find.â€

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...afs_seem_happy_to_stick_with_eighth_pick.html

What do you guys think? Looks like Nonis may go the FA route in acquiring a new centre - if at all. Or this is all smoke and mirrors, I can't wait to find out!

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Only one worth it would be Statsny. Might as well just played Holland at 3C if not going to upgrade at 1C

That seems to be the consensus - that Statsny is the sexy FA centre to go after. Any other notables out there?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I could see a trade for a younger less established centre, But really if they didn't acquire one at all I wouldn't be shocked or too upset cause it probably would mean we'll get the guy next draft.

As for staying at 8th, I've been fine with it since the get go.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Derek Roy could be a guy I can see Nonis trying to sign if Stastny doesn't work out

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
That seems to be the consensus - that Statsny is the sexy FA centre to go after. Any other notables out there?

http://mynhltraderumors.com/2014/06/23/top-10-2014-nhl-free-agent-centers/

Hmm #2 on that list looks OK?!?!

But IMO not really... Maybe Moore cause he'd be cheap, but the leafs screwed him already, all others are past prime and won't be worth what they earn.

With Statsny you're getting as close to a 1C as you can get on the free agent market, doubt they will (or even could) land him

Leafspoison*

"they're both quality players that are hard to find"

Sounds like a good reason not to go after them Nonuts...

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Derek Roy could be a guy I can see Nonis trying to sign if Stastny doesn't work out

I wouldn't be against that if the term is reasonable, how many of you are comfortable going into next season with

Bozak
Kadri
Holland
? Carrick?

Assuming we lose Bolland, that's not great centre depth at all, a top 6 C would help.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
http://mynhltraderumors.com/2014/06/23/top-10-2014-nhl-free-agent-centers/

Hmm #2 on that list looks OK?!?!

But IMO not really... Maybe Moore cause he'd be cheap, but the leafs screwed him already, all others are past prime and won't be worth what they earn.

With Statsny you're getting as close to a 1C as you can get on the free agent market, doubt they will (or even could) land him

I really liked Moore while he was here.

The guy on that list that really stood out to me was Goc.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I wouldn't be against that if the term is reasonable, how many of you are comfortable going into next season with

Bozak
Kadri
Holland
? Carrick?

Assuming we lose Bolland, that's not great centre depth at all, a top 6 C would help.

Carrick has played a lot more RW than he has centre in pro, So I think he could do with some more time with the Marlies, But we'll see.

I agree with Goc though, I'd like to get him.

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
I really liked Moore while he was here.

The guy on that list that really stood out to me was Goc.

Meh, if you can get him on a short term deal then I guess. But no reason to give him anything past two. Which will then drive the price up in a situation like Nikitin. I'm usually against signing mid-level guys in FA because you almost always overpay. Best thing to do if no statsny would be to wait until the dust settles and pickup a bottom 6 guy off the scrap heap like they got Raymond last year

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Carrick has played a lot more RW than he has centre in pro, So I think he could do with some more time with the Marlies, But we'll see.

I agree with Goc though, I'd like to get him.

So we basically have to sign at least one C in free agency or acquire one through trade. Goc could be a good bottom 6 and pker to replace mcclement (if we lose him, which it sounds like we will).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bozak
Kadri
Roy
Carrick/Moore/Goc/Someone

wouldn't be bad really. Holland on the wing with Roy or Kadri would be good. No idea what Roy is looking for

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
Bollands all but gone.

Yeah, but I don't think anyone would say move him to the wing because he has a career sub50 career faceoff percentage, as you alluded to with Holland...

I also wouldn't be surprised if they brought Bolland back. It didn't look like Bozak was coming back, was asking for 8 years, 5 million. Sound familiar?

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Yeah, but I don't think anyone would say move him to the wing because he has a career sub50 career faceoff percentage, as you alluded to with Holland...

I also wouldn't be surprised if they brought Bolland back. It didn't look like Bozak was coming back, was asking for 8 years, 5 million. Sound familiar?

can't assign that much salary to a 3rd liner, already did with clarkson lol.

my FO percentage thing was more what I do when playing NHL 14 :laugh:

LordKmus

Feb 19, 2012
As some of you have mentioned, the center depth would look really weak next season if you take Bolland out and add no one. To be honest though, I wouldn't mind that. It would mean Kadri, and perhaps Holland would be thrust into deeper waters and possibly help their development. It does also increase the chances of the Leafs sucking and getting a lottery pick for dat '15 entry draft.

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
can't assign that much salary to a 3rd liner, already did with clarkson lol.

my FO percentage thing was more what I do when playing NHL 14 :laugh:

Fair enough on the NHL14 but you should just be good enough to win them with anyone ;) and yes I agree. Doesn't mean Nonuts won't do it though. He and his cousin Dreger have said numerous times that Dave Bolland is the identity of this team. I expect the unexpected when it comes to the Leafs

Realistically I guess it's about 50/50 for me.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Derek Roy isn't good on the draws either. We need some one decent at face-offs if we want to compete.

And staying at 8th is a good idea if the Panthers and other teams are expecting a major overpayment. We're in no condition to start overpaying for unsure things.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Derek Roy isn't good on the draws either. We need some one decent at face-offs if we want to compete.

And staying at 8th is a good idea if the Panthers and other teams are expecting a major overpayment. We're in no condition to start overpaying for unsure things.

Please tell me Goc can take a draw cause I can see us picking up a player like him if Statsny doesn't pan out. I wonder if Moore would come back seeing as Burke is now gone? Though, he probably enjoyed the success he had this year. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad