Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs re-sign Martin Marincin to 1-year, $700k contract

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Exactly my point.

When we do other cheap signings we don't think much of them because we know that player will never see the NHL.

This Marincin chap always finds his way into the big leagues though and provides such ugly hockey. It makes sense why people hate this signing.

He plays a game of hockey that isn't attractive to casual fans.

He prevents scoring chances but provides nothing else.

Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
He plays a game of hockey that isn't attractive to casual fans.

He prevents scoring chances but provides nothing else.

I don't think Marincin has done anything to earn a classification such as scoring chance preventer at the NHL level. If that's the case we'd welcome him with open arms for 700k.

He plays a low IQ type of game we are trying to get away from (edit- which again, is only an issue because he always finds his way into the lineup. If it's 100% Marlies then it's okay),

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Todd Gill was justly maligned early in his career. Gave up the puck causing Leafs to get eliminated in the playoffs was an early highlight I remember. He did that quite often. He righted the ship though, and became a useful player in the 90's. I can only hope Marincin stops the brain cramps and stops taking bad penalties. He would be ok as a #6 RD otherwise.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Marincin would have made a difference if available for the Marlies against the Checkers. It was a mistake letting him play for Slovakia. The Marlies needed a LHD for next season, they may not have done better than Marincin in FA. If they completely bomb out in FA it does provide a safety net having Marincin in place. Not a sexy choice.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Hahaha! What a legend! How many contracts have we given this guy? 4?

I really don't mind this. He's an AHL master. He is also, obviously, very comfortable eating peanuts in the press box. Nothing wrong with that. He's living a pretty good life.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
So:
Rielly ?
Muzzin Zaitsev (wants out)
Rosen Marincin

Dermott (injured)

Bullish!

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
I am less than happy with Marincin being signed but it is a result of our Cap Situation. With our Cap situation we can only afford depth defenseman in the $650,000 - $750,000 range. Looking at the list of free agents there will be practically nobody better than Marincin available in this range. Dubas may still sign another UFA defenseman pushing Marincin further down the depth chart. IMHO Marincin is slightly better than Holl. Toronto needs a 7th & 8th defenseman standing in the press box. The younger prospects need to play full time on the Marlies rather than part-time in Toronto. Dubas has wisely covered his back by signing a cheap depth defenseman. He may still sign another, better depth defenseman. I would be happy to see Hainsey back on a $1,000,000 one year contract as a #7 defenseman. We will need a # 7 defenseman to replace Dermott for a couple of months.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
i feel like this is just a running joke between management to continually trolling the fans at this point..

we are playing short-handed every time he's on the ice.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Half of these WHL stats belong to Martin Marincin, the other half to Morgan Rielly.
Just for fun, can you pick out which are which?

WHL stats
1. 67gp 14g 42a 56pts
2. 65gp 6g 22a 28pts
3. 30gp 4g 13a 17pts
4. 18gp 3g 15a 18pts
5. 28gp 7g 16a 23pts
6. 60gp 12g 42a 54pts

(The odd ones belong to Marincin, the even to Rielly.)

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Fills a role, you need 3 players to sit in the press box and you don't want that spot to go to a kid who needs developing. Perfect player to come in and play a game here and there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad